Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Learned that a long long time ago when I kept melting switches for fog lamps in an old POS car I had.

Yellowbeast

Yellowbeast

May 29, 2018
Pennsylvania
Ownership

1. 500
I have been looking into the idea of adding a steering wheel with buttons or adding some buttons to the stock wheel. I would like to operate my winch with these , it would make it so much easier while plowing snow (along with the reverse lever mod)

The options that I have looked at so far!

https://www.amazon.com/Miller-Edge-C182-12B-Conductor-Extends/dp/B00NG1LKQS/?tag=sxsweb24-20

https://www.amazon.com/WINOMO-Momentary-Button-Doorbell-Waterproof/dp/B01N7QADKO/?tag=sxsweb24-20

Universal NOS Button Steering Wheel Black PVC Leather JDM Godsnow Horn | eBay

View attachment 108093

Motion Raceworks Opposite Side Dual Push Button Steering Wheel Bracket With Red/Green Buttons & Weather Packs

On a side note if u adjust the nuts for the reverse cable u can eliminate using it. I did and it’s one of the best mods I have done. I seen how to do it on this forum.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
For you guys that plow, wonder if anyone tried hands free foot switches like those used for marine anchors/windlass up/down? Many options out there. Maybe mounted on board with disconnet plugs when not in use.

7B1B0510 997F 4013 B67F 0FBEA0B3CAD9

C

Chooglin

For you guys that plow, wonder if anyone tried hands free foot switches like those used for marine anchors/windlass up/down? Many options out there. Maybe mounted on board with disconnet plugs when not in use.

View attachment 111609
I looked at something similar but , I really couldn't find a spot to mount it. Another problem would be the amount of snow and ice that would get on them!

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
Hey @Chooglin did you ever mount your switches on the steering wheel. How did they work?

Reactions: Chooglin
C

Chooglin

Hey @Chooglin did you ever mount your switches on the steering wheel. How did they work?
I have it on order from Amazon, I have not received it yet. It should be delivered this week , then I need some warm weather so I can work on it. I will post pics when I get it done!

Reactions: Red500 and trigger
C

Chooglin

My switch came in and I did a dry fit on it. I don't think it's going to work , the steering wheel turns almost 1 1/2 turns to lock. Not sure I want the cord wrapping around the steering column that much......... This is something I never considered!

I'm not throwing in the towel just yet but it's not looking good. A wireless switch would work perfectly, so maybe I will look into that !

Reactions: trigger
Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I wondererd about how well the cord would work.

C

Chooglin

I wondererd about how well the cord would work.
Being that this is really intended for a boat , I know the wheel on a boat doesn't need to be turned much to turn a boat.

I am still going to try to figure out a way to make it work..........we will see!

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
I hope to mount a winch soon so I'm hoping you figure it out too.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Since just relays, What about some type of momentary push button mounted on paddle shifters? Fixed location, no rotation. Waterproof ones out there.
Waterproof Momentary Switch | eBay

A2CA2A87 A649 47D7 B087 45C3E5032858 327E3491 C1DC 4DC7 8868 E077C78140DA

Last edited:
C

Chooglin

Since just relays, What about some type of momentary push button mounted on paddle shifters? Fixed location, no rotation. Waterproof ones out there. Or could drill out the + and - on paddles to mount.
Waterproof Momentary Switch | eBay

View attachment 113379 View attachment 113380
I like this idea and would work great , only problem is , many times while plowing snow , you are turning the wheel while operating the plow up or down. The buttons need to move with the wheel.

C

Chooglin

I think I found the solution , it's called a slip ring. They make all different sizes with different wire configurations. I need to find a 3 wire that is a low profile (pancake) style. If I can find one that will fit under the steering wheel cap , this will work slick as s*** !

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
Not sure on wheel switches would work for me... I have the winch plug installed bottom side, central dash and hook up the wired remote that has the momentary rocker and carry that in my right hand for ploughing. Momentary rocker seems small enough that I can still shift, steer and operate winch at same time.

I was thinking of one of those old school single post spinner knobs mounted in the bottom spoke of steering wheel with E steering would be cool for ploughing. Remember the ones on loaders that you could hit a side button and it would pop up to use the spinner or push it out of the way by rotating the knob inside the wheel radius? Hmm maybe I’ll see if I can find on.

Reactions: Mudder
C

Chooglin

Not sure on wheel switches would work for me... I have the winch plug installed bottom side, central dash and hook up the wired remote that has the momentary rocker and carry that in my right hand for ploughing. Momentary rocker seems small enough that I can still shift, steer and operate winch at same time.

I was thinking of one of those old school single post spinner knobs mounted in the bottom spoke of steering wheel with E steering would be cool for ploughing. Remember the ones on loaders that you could hit a side button and it would pop up to use the spinner or push it out of the way by rotating the knob inside the wheel radius? Hmm maybe I’ll see if I can find on.
Can't say that I've seen one of those , post a pic if you can find one.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!