P700 Steering issue

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
While on the job I turned hard left to stop and the steering locked. Hard right freed it up. Now it intermittently locks on full to stop left turns . Could I have skipped a tooth in there because now my steering wheel is can turn to the right going straight.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Jack it up and grab the wheel. Try to turn it left and right. Try up and down.

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
Allow me to clarify in better detail (I hope) my steering lockup issue. I have the EZSteer installed with no flashing red light which would indicate an electrical issue.

I was turning around in my 700 with the wheel all the way left to the "stop" and drove right wheel into a soft dirt bank. When I went to turn it back straight, steering was locked up and it took an unusual amount of force to free it up....turning right straightening up after the left turnaround. It felt like something slipped or skipped during the hard force to the right. Now my steering wheel in canted to the right when I am going straight and will lightly lock up during a left turn to the stop. . Not sure what it could be but EZSteer sent me a check list but they are all electrical. My gut tells me the issue is not electrical, it is mechanical because the power steering still works fine.

I inspected the steering shaft u-joints and it is not apparent that they might have slipped a couple of splines and also inspected the steering arms and they do not look bent. I am beginning to think it could be the steering rack slipped or??? I have not measured the toe yet....I am a 1000 miles from my SXS but will be back on it soon.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
I didn't realize you had the power steering.
You won't like my next suggestion.

Remove the EZ Steer and see if the problem remains.

I'm like you. It doesn't sound electrical but...

Vato

Vato

Lifetime Member
Oct 3, 2015
I didn't realize you had the power steering.
You won't like my next suggestion.

Remove the EZ Steer and see if the problem remains.

I'm like you. It doesn't sound electrical but...
It could be the steering box itself slipped....

Tflynn

Tflynn

Not a liberal
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 12, 2015
Northern California
Ownership

1. 700-2
Maybe before you go removing EZ steer try just cutting the power to it. I can't recall if there's a fuse, there's gotta be, you could pull the fuse essentially disabling the ps unit altogether. If the problem remains, I think you can rule out anything related to EZ steer.

It does sound like the steering box kinda to me too.

M

motorman18

Apr 28, 2016
Laurel, MS
Mine ez steer would just stop steering at times when my battery got weak and also is ur tires hitting the floor board i put to big tire on mine and it run under floor board and locked up before I realized it

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!