P500 Still too loud!

Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Casa Grande & Show Low Arizona
Ownership

1. 500
Almost every time I ride my ATV, Commander, P-500, or motorcycle, I wear ear plugs. Mostly because of the loud rushing of air past my ears. With my P-500 I'm usually going slow enough to not need ear plugs, but it's especially loud at higher speeds & RPM's I do a lot of swimming and got a couple of ear infections, so I found swimming ear plugs, and they are great for riding also as they seal really well. I moisten my ear canal and the ear plugs and that helps them seal well. I tested several ear plugs, used the foam ones for a while but they didn't seal well and was always messing with them, then I found these swim plugs, they have 4 soft rubber rings for good sealing, found these to be the best for me... 'Walgreens Swim Ear Plugs' Walgreens Swim Ear Plugs | Walgreens

Last edited:
Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
I added a little bit of that silver bubble wrap to the heat shield above the muffler.That thing rattles really bad. It helped some but if you manage to get rid of one noise...another one just takes it's place.

View attachment 49431
Could also try adding rubber washers between the heat shield and the frame, I've done that before to reduce or stop rattles.

Reactions: Farmer and Rustell
WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
IMHO....A major chunk of the High throttle/rpm noise comes from the air intake that is located right behind the drivers back....

Does anybody with a snorkle think that the snorkle helps lower the High throttle/rpm noise?

Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
IMHO....A major chunk of the High throttle/rpm noise comes from the air intake that is located right behind the drivers back....

Does anybody with a snorkle think that the snorkle helps lower the High throttle/rpm noise?
I cut down my intake noise by adding a strip of foam tucked around the whole thing between the cover and body of the intake, still has plenty of air flow but is more quiet, just have to remember not to get it wet when washing and then try to go for a ride, I sometimes forget and have to let it dry out first. Had the foam out a couple times and started it, and the intake is noticeably louder without the foam strip in.

Reactions: Rustell
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Did two mods, add on and later modified oem exhaust, both works well. But engine noise is the loudest. Always wear earplugs. Ae6b5a52b208df4217b8506c56db578eFae84d97a43aa218cdf2c6be72f4db244c1c991ed7db12f6d0ca27bcdf37ed4f9a06394de02b7049136bf1b5d9f0b09e8d0ba0ece9e7fb1774739f946fa944fdAb49f65df8a7fa4dc25f060d245e4b55

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Reactions: NPN
WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
I cut down my intake noise by adding a strip of foam tucked around the whole thing between the cover and body of the intake, still has plenty of air flow but is more quiet, just have to remember not to get it wet when washing and then try to go for a ride, I sometimes forget and have to let it dry out first. Had the foam out a couple times and started it, and the intake is noticeably louder without the foam strip in.

What kind of foam?

Van you post a picture showing exactly how/where you put it?

Thanks

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Arizona

Arizona

Sep 1, 2016
Ownership

1. 500
What kind of foam?

Van you post a picture showing exactly how/where you put it?

Thanks
I'm at my summer cabin, and my P-500 is at my other place so I can't take a picture of it soon. I'll try to describe it better... The foam strip I found at Ace Hardware or Home Depot, in a clear bag, it's black, not as dense or thick as door/window seal foam, it's more like cushion type foam about 1/2" thick & 1" wide, maybe 2 feet long, I cut it to size the diameter of the intake & cover, or take the whole length and wrap it around then cut it. The foam is porous and light, can blow through it easy and it traps no dirt or dust which is why I first put it on, but found it quiets the intake sound some. At the rear left side of the P-500, you can see the intake tube or ducting coming up from the main filter housing behind the seat backrest, the tube or duct then goes up to the black plastic intake body outside near the front left corner of the black rear rack, then there is a black plastic cover on top that you can maybe wiggle a little, it has 1 or 2 snap clips so you can remove the cover, but don't remove it because there won't be any way to wedge the foam in between the cover & body. I tried that but it doesn't work. I lightly wedge the foam strip just under & inside the cover lip and it goes up under the cover a little, and the lower part of the foam rests against the intake body. Seems like it might move or fall out, but it never has. The intake cover over the intake body is where the outside air enters, the cover is there for protection from rain, sand, rocks, etc. The foam I use is not real easy to find, if I was there I'd look at the pkg. and tell you exactly or post a photo. When I needed more foam after the 1st one started degrading, it was hard to find, found the same type, but it was only 1/4" thick and that won't hold, need the 1/2" thick for it to stay wedged between the intake body & cover. I'll be back down there in about 2 weeks, if you need the exact foam description & pictures, let me know...

Last edited:
WillyBill

WillyBill

Wheeling Addict
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2017
Clinton, Utah
Ownership

1. Talon X LV
@Arizona
What you just told me answers my question perfectly...Thanks very much. I was just having trouble visualizing but I got it now.

Reactions: Arizona
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I'm at my summer cabin, and my P-500 is at my other place so I can't take a picture of it soon. I'll try to describe it better... The foam strip I found at Ace Hardware or Home Depot, in a clear bag, it's black, not as dense or thick as door/window seal foam, it's more like cushion type foam about 1/2" thick & 1" wide, maybe 2 feet long, I cut it to size the diameter of the intake & cover, or take the whole length and wrap it around then cut it. The foam is porous and light, can blow through it easy and it traps no dirt or dust which is why I first put it on, but found it quiets the intake sound some. At the rear left side of the P-500, you can see the intake tube or ducting coming up from the main filter housing behind the seat backrest, the tube or duct then goes up to the black plastic intake body outside near the front left corner of the black rear rack, then there is a black plastic cover on top that you can maybe wiggle a little, it has 1 or 2 snap clips so you can remove the cover, but don't remove it because there won't be any way to wedge the foam in between the cover & body. I tried that but it doesn't work. I lightly wedge the foam strip just under & inside the cover lip and it goes up under the cover a little, and the lower part of the foam rests against the intake body. Seems like it might move or fall out, but it never has. The intake cover over the intake body is where the outside air enters, the cover is there for protection from rain, sand, rocks, etc. The foam I use is not real easy to find, if I was there I'd look at the pkg. and tell you exactly or post a photo. When I needed more foam after the 1st one started degrading, it was hard to find, found the same type, but it was only 1/4" thick and that won't hold, need the 1/2" thick for it to stay wedged between the intake body & cover. I'll be back down there in about 2 weeks, if you need the exact foam description & pictures, let me know...
Once u have a chance , please upload pics. Thx!

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

xinu

xinu

Jul 2, 2017
Eastern Ontario back country
Ownership

1. 500
I installed my Silent Rider. Very pleasant and quiet putting around. Drive train noise now dominates. I like listening to this thing when it's in the RPM zone. Beyond that it still sounds like a bucket of bolts rattling in your ears. It is what it is.

jphunter55

jphunter55

May 7, 2017
Indian River County, Fl.
Ownership

1. 500
I installed my Silent Rider. Very pleasant and quiet putting around. Drive train noise now dominates. I like listening to this thing when it's in the RPM zone. Beyond that it still sounds like a bucket of bolts rattling in your ears. It is what it is.

Get a Mylar windshield shade and install under the bottom seat, then change the front and rear differential to 75-140 wt synthetic oil. I did this to mine along with the silent rider and it has quieted it down a lot. Both can be done cheaply and easily. The windshield shade will help keep the heat out and muffle some of the drivetrain noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: xinu
D

DL369

Aug 11, 2017
Alabama
Is there anyway to make the rear end on the 700-4 quieter

C

Chooglin

I'm working on a very simple bolt on silencer , will post pics and video when finished!

Reactions: Spellmajr
NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
Get a Mylar windshield shade and install under the bottom seat, then change the front and rear differential to 75-140 wt synthetic oil. I did this to mine along with the silent rider and it has quieted it down a lot. Both can be done cheaply and easily. The windshield shade will help keep the heat out and muffle some of the drivetrain noise.

Are there a number of readers who have experienced less diff noise by changing to something other than Honda factory oil?

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
I find that with the roof, the P5 is noisey. I wear a helmet when I ride, but it's still noisier than I'd like. With all the shooting I've done, I need to preserve my hearing so I'm putting foam where it counts... in my ears. I just bought a box of 200 pairs of foam ear plugs. Cheapest solution to the problem. If and when I need to listen to my spouse chat (natter) to me during the ride, we'll use helmet intercom.

And following the Hondasxs.com rule (it didn't happen without images) my box of earplugs arrived at the door just now.
Earplugs

Al

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!