P500 Still too loud!

Spellmajr

Spellmajr

Jul 10, 2016
North MS
Ownership

1. 500
And following the Hondasxs.com rule (it didn't happen without images) my box of earplugs arrived at the door just now.
View attachment 51940
Al

I second that. I started wearing them recently. I work around aircraft all day so I'm used to loud noises but we also are required to wear hearing protection. So I got foamies like that to wear when I go on long rides, Or ride it on the street. Heck I even started wearing them cutting the grass.

R

RumpRocket

Dec 23, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500
View attachment 49463 I can attest that rubber works better for noise and heat than the foiled carpet mat. This is EPDM rubber roofing material. Thin and conforms easier.
Are you still using the EPDM Rubber Roofing material as a sound and heat barrier?

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Are you still using the EPDM Rubber Roofing material as a sound and heat barrier?

Yes and I like it better than the carpet mat I had in there. First time I power washed it I noticed that I had a couple of little puddles under the seats, where the rubber drooped down. I cut a couple of small holes so they would drain out and it hasn't been a problem since. I never have to take it out other than for maintenance or mods.

Reactions: RumpRocket
R

RumpRocket

Dec 23, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500
Yes and I like it better than the carpet mat I had in there. First time I power washed it I noticed that I had a couple of little puddles under the seats, where the rubber drooped down. I cut a couple of small holes so they would drain out and it hasn't been a problem since. I never have to take it out other than for maintenance or mods.
Is this similar to what you are using.....if you can recall? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074W9L6GL/_encoding=UTF8?tag=sxsweb24-20

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Is this similar to what you are using.....if you can recall? https://www.amazon.com/dp/B074W9L6GL/_encoding=UTF8?tag=sxsweb24-20

That's it. I build commercial buildings and got it from my roofer. Lays pretty flat, easily cleaned and durable as hell. Here it is installed.

Rubber

Last edited:
Reactions: jinx and RumpRocket
KYhillbilly

KYhillbilly

Jan 4, 2017
Ashland, KY
Ownership

1. 500
I used the foam flooring pads you can buy at Harbor Freight, Tractor supply, or rural King. $15.00 for a 4x8 roll, also used in the bottom of my aluminum golf cart bed.

However if riding fast or for any length of time i used ear plugs or my bose noise cancelling ear buds so i can listen to music without going deaf.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I never really noticed, I just get on and go....that is the point I thought. Lol

Reactions: joeymt33
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You've never experienced the seat heat yet? You must've heard that rear end rattle chains?
I’ve experienced the seat heat but my rear end is fairly quiet. You can hear a little when she’s going about 35, not bad though.

advertisement
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I’ve experienced the seat heat but my rear end is fairly quiet. You can hear a little when she’s going about 35, not bad though.

Riding on a hot day and going through some water will have you feeling the burn, it's an issue on all these Pioneers. Easily dealt with though. The noise from the engine, rear end and exhaust heat shields isn't unbearably loud but installing a barrier does make a difference. Don't know if you're going to the takeover, I'd give you my old one.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Riding on a hot day and going through some water will have you feeling the burn, it's an issue on all these Pioneers. Easily dealt with though. The noise from the engine, rear end and exhaust heat shields isn't unbearably loud but installing a barrier does make a difference. Don't know if you're going to the takeover, I'd give you my old one.
Thanks for the offer @trigger, I wish I was going to the takeover but not this year. Going on a hog hunt in Oklahoma in March and have other commitments that will keep me from going this year. I might ask my wife’s cousin if he can get me some material to make a heat shield for the p5, he works in the engineering department at Hendrick Motorsports.

Reactions: Gassygordo
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think that's self sticking isn't it?
Yes it is, my thinking was to cover the under side of the seat to prevent a good portion of the heat. Some guys are covering all the way to the air box which blocks even more heat, this wouldn’t work as well for that.

Reactions: RumpRocket
Twangin

Twangin

Jan 19, 2018
NC
Ownership

1. 500
So just to sort of follow up here.. I’ve only had my P500 for a week.. I definitely see now what everyone’s been saying about it being a bit of a noisy machine. Not bad in my opinion, but noticeable. Specifically, what stands out the most to me are
1) sorta clanky when shifting in AT mode at really slow speeds
2) a “whining” sound (from the rear diff?)
3) lastly, I feel/hear almost like a tiny bit of play in the differential/driveshaft when creeping around 5mph and hit bumps that cause a pulsing of the throttle with your foot.

Are these all normal things I’m experiencing with a 1 week old machine? Again these are all very minor in my opinion as this is an off-road machine, not a cushy road cruiser.

@trigger I’m very interested in getting the rubber roofing mat and installing if you say it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

R

RumpRocket

Dec 23, 2017
USA
Ownership

1. 500
I used E-Bay instead of Amazon.....the one listed on Amazon had a conflicting description in relation to the thickness.....Although I believe this is the same company ...anyway shortly after ordering on E-Bay it was sent Fed-X......much faster shipping than Amazon....I ordered a 4 by 10 piece .....figuring I can double fold in the back...... 10' RecPro EPDM Extreme Duty RV Rubber Roofing - By The Foot | eBay

Reactions: trigger
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!