P500 Loud whining sound trans/ readend

K

Ktrim

Oct 1, 2022
Ny
Ownership

1. 500
New to this site and just purchased a 2022 pioneer 500. My son and I took went for the first ride and there is a very pound whining sound possibly the rear end. I googled and have seen that people say they are loud but it louder then the tires on pavement. Anyone else have this concern doesn’t sound right to me

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
New to this site and just purchased a 2022 pioneer 500. My son and I took went for the first ride and there is a very pound whining sound possibly the rear end. I googled and have seen that people say they are loud but it louder then the tires on pavement. Anyone else have this concern doesn’t sound right to me
Hard to comment on a noise WE cant here. Post a video of the sound to help us out.

And welcome First time poster , from Michigan! #POIDH

Red500

Red500

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 20, 2018
Greeneville, Tn.
Ownership

1. 500
They are noisy little machines but they tend to get better with usage.
I would check all your fluids and if they are good drive the heck out of it. Some recommend synthetics when you do your first service/ oil change. If it doesn't quite down by the time the warranty is about to run out then take it to the dealer.

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Hi,

There has been lots of discussion on this subject. A quick search would have easily found you an answer.

The short story is, yes, the rear gears are noisy. Its not so much a differential back there, as it is a gear case. There is no differential action at all between the two rear wheels.

Most of us with 520/500s have switched over to synthetic gear oil which makes a huge difference in the gear whine. I noticed mine more when decelerating. I suspect it is loud most of the time, but the engine drowns it out under acceleration and normal cruising.

Rob

advertisement
K

Ktrim

Oct 1, 2022
Ny
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks for the replies. ItS mostly on acceleration and crusing above ten mph. I put a few miles on it last night it drove smooth and there doesn’t seem to be any binding. It makes me feel better that people are saying they are just noisy. I guess I’ll just check the fluids and keep on using it. The auto shifting cut the power and wouldn’t go out of 1 gear until I shut it off and restartd it but seemed fine manually shifting.

O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I toke note of the gears when installing my torq locker last year. The teeth were as cast as in not machined. The lower level of precision pretty much explains the noise levels. They are very good castings, but need to wear in.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Welcome from da Yoop! The P5s are noisy little f#ckers but they are tougher than an anvil. As others have said, changing to a high quality synthetic will help (I used 90W-140 Mobil 1). Honda used straight cut gears in both diffs so you're never gonna get rid of the noise. Also, the AT mode sucks pretty much all the time, use the manual shift and you'll be much happier with it.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I toke note of the gears when installing my torq locker last year. The teeth were as cast as in not machined. The lower level of precision pretty much explains the noise levels. They are very good castings, but need to wear in.
They're not cast....... hot forged but it's easy to mix the 2 up, either way they're not ground post heat treat.

J

JFL12

Apr 1, 2022
Clearfield
Ownership

1. 520
Check rear differential oil level.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!