Street Legal In Kalifornia ?

J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Good Morning All
I have a question , has anyone made their Talon street legal in California ? if so what was the process ?
I see people operating on public roads in rural areas all over the San Joaquin Valley, I suspect most of these are part of farming operations as they are typically Quads or smaller side by sides, I've not caught up with one of the larger side by sides to ask if they were street legal or just out being civilly disobedient.

Thanks have a great day

Reactions: TxDoc
bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Also Kommiefornia has passed, yet to be implemented, laws to ban off road internal combustion engines from weed eaters on up.

I wonder how that will work out with big ag equipment, not to mention all the diesel construction equipment. Just nutso.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
I'm hoping for a nationwide vote to separate the Communist Republic of Kalifornia from the United States. It would be a better fit with China.

I've been saying for months that if they ever finish building the border wall that California should be on the outside of the fence.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes!

OP, check out the link below. This guy skirted around MV laws in NY and drives his Can-Am X3 all over the state where SxS's are not legal for street use.

H

HondaTech

Also Kommiefornia has passed, yet to be implemented, laws to ban off road internal combustion engines from weed eaters on up.

I wonder how that will work out with big ag equipment, not to mention all the diesel construction equipment. Just nutso.

They wont theyll wait until everyone us starving or left the state and they cant afford anything. Then they'll beg the federal government to save them.

Blow that pile of worthless trash state off the side of the country and let it float.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
They wont theyll wait until everyone us starving or left the state and they cant afford anything. Then they'll beg the federal government to save them.

Blow that pile of worthless trash state off the side of the country and let it float.
While I can appreciate that, I still have a company over there, run by my son, and the sort of business that really can't be moved. There's a lot of good people in CA that would change it if they could, but they are outnumbered by the loonies.

When the big one comes, with our luck, everything east of the Rockies will slide into the Atlantic.

Nobody moved forward with my idea of, "Free, Beer, Burgers, Hot Babes and Rap at the Beach". We get 'em all jumping up and down in unison, it's bound to snap off.

Jmaxx1502

Jmaxx1502

Feb 7, 2021
Cocoa beach
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Anyone know the Florida laws? I just did the exact same thing with my Talon. Montana registered agent, permeant plate, etc. I have insurance, windshield, side mirrors, rear view mirrors, horn, turn signals, brake lights, lighted license plate, parking brake (hilly billy brake), and will be adding dot tires. If I get pulled over what do I say? This quad cycle is owned by my LLC, spends more then 6 months a year in Montana? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.thx

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
"If I get pulled over what do I say?"

How about, "I thought if I was legal in my 'home state of Montana' I'm considered legal in all states."

It's a weak excuse and not likely to work but you would possibly get a warning instead a fine.

The bottom line is the laws of Florida apply in Florida. If Florida doesn't allow you to operate on public roads your buggy is not legal.

If you stay on the back roads, slower streets, and keep a low profile you may get away with driving it. Local law enforcement may not care enough to stop you.

Reactions: CID
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Anyone know the Florida laws? I just did the exact same thing with my Talon. Montana registered agent, permeant plate, etc. I have insurance, windshield, side mirrors, rear view mirrors, horn, turn signals, brake lights, lighted license plate, parking brake (hilly billy brake), and will be adding dot tires. If I get pulled over what do I say? This quad cycle is owned by my LLC, spends more then 6 months a year in Montana? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.thx

How about you only answer the questions you are asked. If they don't ask, don't volunteer info...

J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon X4
How about you only answer the questions you are asked. If they don't ask, don't volunteer info...
Good morning All
Well that question stirred up a hornets nest of correct opinions, but did not address my question.
Thanks for all the responses.
Have a great day

Reactions: Dankathy
SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Good morning All
Well that question stirred up a hornets nest of correct opinions, but did not address my question.
Have a great day

Did you read the posts in the link I posted?

That answered all your questions on how to do it.

You already knew it wasn't technically legal to do in California without skirting around the laws so I'm not understanding what question didn't get answered... 🤪

Reactions: Remington
J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Did you read the posts in the link I posted?

That answered all your questions on how to do it.

You already knew it wasn't technically legal to do in California without skirting around the laws so I'm not understanding what question didn't get answered... 🤪
Yes sir Mr. Slowpoke693
My reading comprehension is quite good, my question specifically asked about California street legal while your link is probably useful for a lot of people it did not answer my question, a simple no or just ignore the question would have sufficed if you did not know the answer,
what I was looking for was someone with actual experience in California that might have set a precedent by getting their Talon street legal.
Again thank you all for your efforts

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes sir Mr. Slowpoke693
My reading comprehension is quite good, my question specifically asked about California street legal while your link is probably useful for a lot of people it did not answer my question, a simple no or just ignore the question would have sufficed if you did not know the answer,
what I was looking for was someone with actual experience in California that might have set a precedent by getting their Talon street legal.
Again thank you all for your efforts

As a former CA LEO (Oakland PD), I'll comment on this for you. No, not only no, but hell no.

That said, CA is among those states that is uniquely greedy when it comes to taxes fees and money grubbing. If you are seen by a LEO, with out-of-state indicia, they are not all stupid, they will know you are intentionally skirting the law, and they will treat you accordingly.

If you are a CA resident, you need to get the CA tags. If you go on-road in rural areas, you may well get away with that, or if stopped, simply get a warning.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Good morning All
Have a great day
What did you expect, you are asking about Commyfornia (Kalifornia as you put it) who just banded the use of gas mowers trimmers and the like and you want to know to make your sxs street legal? You sure did open a Hornets nest! Lmf

To seriously best way to answer your question,Is to try going to your SOS or DMV assuming you guys have one? And ask them If they even allow it legally and if they dont? End of story. If they do? They should have all the info and parts list required to make it happen. And u can figure the cost then. That said, I have a feeling with the way your state operates, your dicks gona be in the dirt either way lol. Let us know what they say. Cuz you asked the question and inquiring minds want to know ;)

Reactions: Homer
J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon X4
As a former CA LEO (Oakland PD), I'll comment on this for you. No, not only no, but hell no.

That said, CA is among those states that is uniquely greedy when it comes to taxes fees and money grubbing. If you are seen by a LEO, with out-of-state indicia, they are not all stupid, they will know you are intentionally skirting the law, and they will treat you accordingly.

If you are a CA resident, you need to get the CA tags. If you go on-road in rural areas, you may well get away with that, or if stopped, simply get a warning.
Thank you
That is clear and concise coming from former LEO, it isn't possible to register a Talon street legal in California.
Just so you know I never once mentioned skirting the law or breaking any law, that was assumed by others . My Talon is registered off road with the Ca green sticker and I'm very aware of the penalties for using off road vehicles on public streets or highways.
By the way that's a nice airplane looks like a Citabria.

• Haha
J

jpgrifles

Mar 28, 2021
Bakersfield Ca
Ownership

1. Talon X4
What did you expect, you are asking about Commyfornia (Kalifornia as you put it) who just banded the use of gas mowers trimmers and the like and you want to know to make your sxs street legal? You sure did open a Hornets nest! Lmf

To seriously best way to answer your question,Is to try going to your SOS or DMV assuming you guys have one? And ask them If they even allow it legally and if they dont? End of story. If they do? They should have all the info and parts list required to make it happen. And u can figure the cost then. That said, I have a feeling with the way your state operates, your dicks gona be in the dirt either way lol. Let us know what they say. Cuz you asked the question and inquiring minds want to know ;)
Remington
I did check with DMV and they don't register quads or side by sides for on road use, they do allow a person to build and register specialty vehicles/kit cars it would not be cost effective and they only allow a few of those each year.
So I'm done thinking about it not worth the effort.
Gotta get back to work Thanks

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!