Road Legal Updates?

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Hey all,

Seeing a bunch of older threads about making their SXS road legal, curious if anyone has done it recently and how it went/the process you followed. I've seen some processes that looked sketchy, curious if anyone has had success lately, and if so what method they used.

I am aware this varies from state to state, I live in Pennsylvania and I know they are fairly strict with this. We plan to do some traveling and want the ability to use it on the road when/if needed. Thanks in advance!

Reactions: Blownzuki and ChadD
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I am aware this varies from state to state, I live in Pennsylvania and I know they are fairly strict with this. We plan to do some traveling and want the ability to use it on the road when/if needed. Thanks in advance!
Well unfortunately your last statement is all u need to know, is that it varies from state to state. Just cuz your road legal in one state Doesn't mean the next state will recognize you. Your best to just check the rules and regs of a sxs in the state either with there sos or DNR that your planning on going to as the where u can ride and what there requirements are for road use.

like when I carry across state lines. Not all states honor my ccw so U need to know

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Well unfortunately your last statement is all u need to know, is that it varies from state to state. Just cuz your road legal in one state Doesn't mean the next state will recognize you. Your best to just check the rules and regs of a sxs in the state either with there sos or DNR that your planning on going to as the where u can ride and what there requirements are for road use.

like when I carry across state lines. Not all states honor my ccw so U need to know
So PA recognizes out-of-state plates, however, you have to be familiar with the law and each experience varies depending on the officer you deal with. As long as you are well versed and familiar with the laws, you shouldn't have any issues.

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
So PA recognizes out-of-state plates, however, you have to be familiar with the law and each experience varies depending on the officer you deal with. As long as you are well versed and familiar with the laws, you shouldn't have any issues.
Thats my whole point.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
You just need to check the states you are trying to travel to and make sure you are legal. Some states reciprocate but most do not. Utah used to reciprocate with AZ but got into some fight and stopped. It as all different. For example, I am street legal in Utah and can drive almost anywhere that is not a freeway. BUT...
  • My UT plates allow me to ride anywhere in CA EXCEPT on roads (not legal for anyone to drive a SxS on roads in CA).
  • My UT plates don't allow me to drive in AZ, ID or WY at all, I need a non-resident permit even for dirt (except farm roads in WY). Not even sure I can become street legal in AZ without residency.
  • My UT plates allow me 15 days in NV only on dirt. Allowed incidental 3 miles on pavement to get from trail to trail but the driver must wear a helmet when on the roads.
  • Rules are vague on BLM land but it appears that because my rig is street licensed, I am allowed to drive on any Federally controlled road but that generally doesn't do any good because the minute I cross Federal/State boundaries, I am screwed.
  • The list of rules is basically endless!

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
I'm just asking if anyone's legalized there's lately and it so, what process and or how did they go about?

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Heres just one post of many found in the search that cover alot of states require

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thanks all, latest I've read is the Montana LLC route. I'll keep digging and update here once I find more info.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Heres just one post of many found in the search that cover alot of states require

This is really helpful, thank you!

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Thanks all, latest I've read is the Montana LLC route. I'll keep digging and update here once I find more info.

The Montana LLC is the way to go. I have friends that have done it in NY and I can hook you up with the name of the company in MT that they used if you go that route.

Many_Gs

Many_Gs

Apr 5, 2021
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X4
The Montana LLC is the way to go. I have friends that have done it in NY and I can hook you up with the name of the company in MT that they used if you go that route.
Hey slowpoke, thanks for the reply sir! I'm just reading into it but I thought you had to start your own LLC to get it registered. I highly doubt I would drive it on the road a lot, but it's nice to have the ability. Can you find out more from your buddies and share? Appreciate it! A buddy of mine is trying to do the same, in the event that we get stuck riding the road at all, it's a nice failsafe.

I will definitely be carrying documentation and know the law in my state just in case!

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Hey slowpoke, thanks for the reply sir! I'm just reading into it but I thought you had to start your own LLC to get it registered. I highly doubt I would drive it on the road a lot, but it's nice to have the ability. Can you find out more from your buddies and share? Appreciate it! A buddy of mine is trying to do the same, in the event that we get stuck riding the road at all, it's a nice failsafe.

I will definitely be carrying documentation and know the law in my state just in case!

Let me see what I can come up with, BRB.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Boom:

Call a Resident Agent. Most use LLCTLC. A resident agent is what companies, pretty much all of them, use to file out of state taxes. To file taxes in a state you need an address, a resident agent is like a service that gives you an address. It’s easy and normal/legal stuff.

the Montana resident agent creates the LLC, applies for the titles, gets you the registration, forwards you mail.

Montana is a one time tax form state. So you get one tax form ever, check the box that says “asset holding company” and they know that you will never conduct business and as such have no taxes to file, so they don’t bug you. They know people just use them because they are easy.

its a life time one time plate, no renewal.

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
Before you go to all that trouble, do your own homework individually on each state you are visiting.

Registering your rig and obtaining street legal plates will only allow you to drive on the road in a handful of state (the list is very small) and an even smaller list of states that will allow you off-road without a visitor/temporary tag.

Most states (like PA, NY, NV, CA to name a few) don't allow any UTV on the road, regardless if street legal somewhere else.
Most states that have street legal UTV's (like UT, AZ, CO) allow only their street legal UTV's on the road.
Utah requires a safety inspection and liability insurance to be street legal, some states don't.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
Here is an entire thread on how my buddy did it in NEW YORK STATE where SxS's are not road legal. He's been getting away with it for a while and drives the thing around town like it's a normal car.

SLOWPOKE693

SLOWPOKE693

Supporting Member
Mar 10, 2020
Somewhere in Texas
Ownership

1. Talon R
62ABECCC EB9F 4466 9073 1E68590CB104

PaulF

PaulF

/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Lifetime Member
Jul 1, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!