P700 Super cold won’t start

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Done some looking at the 700 wiring diagram, there are 3 power supplies going to the dash display. 2 are present all the time, if the main fuse is good. The 3rd comes from the "main relay", one of the famous 4 relays. If it is damp and frozen, OR if the voltage is low it might not pull in, the effects of that would be no dash display, no fuel injection, no fuel pump, and no spark.

The engine will roll over when the voltage is too low to pull in relays.

I guess it's important when things like this don't work properly, to listen for the fuel pump. Makes it easier to troubleshoot. Also, if boosting the machine made things work, we might conclude that the battery voltage was just a bit too low.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Done some looking at the 700 wiring diagram, there are 3 power supplies going to the dash display. 2 are present all the time, if the main fuse is good. The 3rd comes from the "main relay", one of the famous 4 relays. If it is damp and frozen, OR if the voltage is low it might not pull in, the effects of that would be no dash display, no fuel injection, no fuel pump, and no spark.

I guess it's important when things like this don't work properly, to listen for the fuel pump. Makes it easier to troubleshoot. Also, if boosting the machine made things work, we might conclude that the battery voltage was just a bit too low.
Bites me some times, to over look the most obvious! It really aggravates me when I do that! HA!

R

RandyG

Jun 10, 2018
Michigan
Ownership

1. 700-4
Not sure what it was. Went out in the morning and it started right up. And come to think of it @70Bones I don’t remember hearing the fuel pump, so I will def remember this in case it happens again thanks!

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Sounds like some dielectric grease and protective coating may be needed.

Reactions: 70Bones
allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I had the same problem with mine until I put a car sized battery and high octane fuel. My thought was the stock battery couldn't supply enough juice to turn the engine over and provide the ignition coil with ample power for a good spark. The car size battery has no problem cranking the engine and it will usually fire after a few seconds. The other thing I do when its really cold (actually do it all the time now) when I go to start it,I put the key in and turn it on and start with no delay. Some guys turn the key on and wait til the fuel pump stops before starting which is fine but it doesnt seem to help when its really cold outside.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
if you are plowing it drains your battery more than it can recharge. you have to charge it with a charger after or it will always be low. it doesn't matter how big your battery is or if you have two your rectifier only puts out so much and if you are using more like a winch or stereo its going to be too low voltage if you don't charge it in the garage

allgm1

allgm1

Lifetime Member
Mar 7, 2015
New Hampshire
I have never put a charger on my battery. I plow with the tunes going, heater on if needed, but I always shut that stuff off before parking it and make sure the alternator had charged the battery. My pioneer runs at 14.4 volts when running and no accessories running so before I shut it off I always make sure it's charged back to 14.4.

jwfirebird

jwfirebird

Sep 23, 2018
western ny
Ownership

1. 700-2
to me it just seems easier to trickle it, that way probably works but you waste time and gas, the ctech charger I got wasent that much and you can charge anything and its waterproof. so I charge tractor and anything outside just drag a cord out, very easy

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One thing is for sure, a hot battery is a must.

70Bones

70Bones

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2017
New Brunswick Canada
Sounds like some dielectric grease and protective coating may be needed.
I think you're right Russ989, there have been so many issues reported lately that can be linked back to those relays, I think I'll put mine in the garage and see what it takes to move them, or at least di-electric grease them.

Reactions: Russ989
Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think you're right Russ989, there have been so many issues reported lately that can be linked back to those relays, I think I'll put mine in the garage and see what it takes to move them, or at least di-electric grease them.
I may do the same.

xltman

xltman

Feb 1, 2017
US
I know on many fuel injectors you need a minimum amperage to have them work. If the battery is cold and not able to produce the amperage, the engine will turn over fine, but the injectors will never fire.

Sent from my phone while sitting with my feet up on night shift

Reactions: JTW and tjoreo
R

Roghubbard

Aug 5, 2016
Arizona
Ownership

1. 700-4
It cranks like normal, could it still be a battery prob? Sorry not real good with this stuff!! The dash not lighting up like normal is what really has me wondering
Frosted spark plugs? Maybe try running premium gas when it is so cold. When I bought my 700-4, the salesman recommended that I run 91 octane. And I live in Arizona!

S

ScottPhillips

Nov 22, 2018
Ownership

1. 700-4
I have a 2017 700-4. It is -33 with the wind chill here and the ol gir won’t start. Started last night and I plowed with it. But tonight when I put the key in the dash won’t even light up like normal. It cranks but won’t fire. It sits outside under a cover so could this be normal? Currently sitting in my 1 car garage with a heater pointed at it. But that’s the wife’s spot so can’t stay in there lol!!
I had the same temps and the same problem two weeks ago in Illinois. Is just hard on stuff in that cold of weather.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!