P500 SuperATV EPS install issue

Bmurray

Bmurray

Lifetime Member
May 6, 2021
Missouri but soon to be Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X
Went pretty well but I have the dreaded issue of the u-joints hitting the master cylinder. Also the plate is flexing up and down, which I'll be fixing with a weld-on gusset and a bolt thru the cross member. @SuperATV engineers need to address this issue on a kit that's damn close to $700.00. The plate and under bracket needs to be formed from one piece of steel and find a better way to clear things. Smaller u-joints would help.

Remington

Remington

Sheriff Chief POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Have others had these issues?
Any reviews with this also?
Just curious if this has been happening for a while on all units?

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
yes there's quite a few threads I found.
On here?
did you find them before or after you bought it?

Im sure @SuperATV will help you as soon as he reads about this tomorrow. Hes been great about that. Stand up guy. 👍

crewcabrob

crewcabrob

Lifetime Member
May 7, 2018
Omaha
Ownership

1. 520
Yeah, I've read before that the u-joints are going to hit the master cylinder and that the plate flexes.

Makes me really excited about installing one on my P520...

I'll be watching to see if there is another creative way to fix this.

Reactions: Bmurray
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Had to go back to see. But I had the Same EZsteer on my old P5 And didn't have the issues stated. Just had to make sure i used the drive shaft provided and everything was tight on the mounting plate. Im sure you did this already and i know it sucks, but go through the instructions and your install Again slowly. Might be an adjustment you missed. I know its a tight SOB to work on.

SuperATV

SuperATV

Vendor
Dec 5, 2013
Madison, IN
www.superatv.com
Yep, like @Remington said...its a tight fit and you really have to be patient and take your time with it. Make sure everything is good and loose....nothing bolted down all the way....and you'll find the sweet spot for the clearance. Its a tight squeeze, and it sucks unbolting and readjusting in a tight spot, but there's a sweet spot there where everything has clearance and the plate should be pretty solid.

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
If I had to do it again, I would drill a hole in the top plate through the crossmember and run a simple self tapper through both to hold it in place before attempting to bolt it down. Also, do NOT crank on the bolts that hold the plates together. They will flex and then shift on you. It's a very specific spot it has to be in to work. Also, make sure you have the right shaft in the right spot. Everyone b****es about it but we all eventually get it to work.

Take pictures of what you have so far, including a top-down view of the plate and we might be able to offer some guidance.

T

tg16500

Dec 2, 2019
US
Do yourself a favor and purchase the Honda accessory harness. I installed power steering last year and I believe I connected to the wire taped up in red on the accessory harness. Harness is less than $10 from a dealer and gives you 4 places to power different accessories. I used the one designated to power a back up horn. On a side note, keep your eye on the clearance from lower shaft to the brake reservoir after you tighten the motor mounting bracket. Since the crossmember that the motor bracket mounts too is not a precision located componant, it can push the universal joint into the reservoir and can push the motor down, cause binding in the lower shaft after tightening the bracket. On my p500 I had to fabricate a 1/8" shim under the top bracket, now everything lines up perfectly. You may not need to do this depending on your bracket location. That brace probably has +/- 1mm location. Don't seem like much, but the length of the mounting bracket multiplies this tolerance. Everything now functions smooth and virtually silent. I am very happy with this upgrade.

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
Don't know how much power the EPS actually draws but I wouldn't wire it into the accessory harness, take it to the battery, fuse block or buss bar. That harness ties into the cig lighter circuit and is a maximum of 10 to 15 amps. As stated, we all went through the same sh** when installing. It's tight tolerances so finding the happy place for everything takes a little time. I'm just glad they make one and it works well.

T

tg16500

Dec 2, 2019
US
Sorry, maybe I should have been clearer. The main power wire will néed to be wired directly to the battery, only use the accessory harness for the controller switched power wire.

Bmurray

Bmurray

Lifetime Member
May 6, 2021
Missouri but soon to be Idaho
Ownership

1. Talon X
It comes with a power wire that's goes directly to the battery. It uses the lighter outlet wire for key on powering. I have it better now and drilled to bolts thru the plates and crossmember to hold it. the motor plates still flex a bit when turning it back and forth. I think it clear of hitting but freaking barely. I'm going to see if there's a bit of room in the mounting bolts at the master cylinder.

WYcoyote

WYcoyote

Sep 19, 2018
Kane WY
Ownership

1. 500
I just put a SuperATV EPS unit in my 2017 500 and had very little clearance between the U joints and the MC reservoir as most have noted.
I did as one poster on another thread and while the plate bolts were barely snug I pulled everything to the passenger side with a ratchet strap as far as I could and drilled in two self tappers ( I pre-drilled them) through the top plate and cross member. Then tightened the plate bolts.
The mount is racked way out of square but I have clearance now, however still not a lot.
The only other issue was the connector plug on the motor wiring that plugs into the far left or the ECM was smashed a bit probably during shipping. Since it is connected to the motor I didn't want to go through the hassle of a return, so I patched it up with some 5-minute epoxy, even though a chunk was missing. I think it will be OK.
The new PS sure works great, love it, especially since the Torq-Locker made it harder to steer.

WYcoyote

WYcoyote

Sep 19, 2018
Kane WY
Ownership

1. 500
Added pics of the above installation.
Got a better view of the clearance, at least 1/4" at the closest points of the U-joint, better than I thought.
I also added a battery under the hood wired in parallel to help with the steering, winch, added lights, and starting in cold weather.

20211209 145759 20211209 145823

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Good news is as once you get past the PS installation, forget it and enjoy. Had to loosen the shafts and bracket before tightening down as others and realign the steering wheel. But four years with the @SuperATV unit and no issues. And my motor is a 220 watts max.
08818A02 D66D 47F2 9CE3 E38212C6221B

BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!