P500 SUPERWINCH CABLES TO SHORT

HUBBA730

HUBBA730

Oct 5, 2020
Iron Mountain, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Purchased a Superwinch 1140230 Black LT4000SR for my dad's 2020 Pioneer 500 and found the electrical cables are only 6' long. Can't reach battery from solenoid. My dad wants to use jumper cables spliced in to extend the wires. I'm arguing against it and believe he should buy some 4 ga wire instead. Any thoughts about this?

dls1966

dls1966

Mar 4, 2018
Kawkawlin Michigan
Ownership

1. 500
I had the same problem ended up buying a piece of wire in I think it was 8ga and did it with that

hallic

hallic

Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2019
Central MN
Ownership

1. 500
My opinion:
2 ways of looking at this. First, is that I believe Superwinch has one of (if not THE) lowest amp draws of any winches, so any decent sized jumper cables should work fine, especially if he doesnt run the winch at a high duty cycle for heavy loads. Pulse the winch, second or 2 on and off etc.

Second, is that a bunch of people end up running extra accessories, dual battery etc. Myself, I ran 4ga cable up under the hood to a buss bar point, then ran the winch's cabling off that. If there's any plans at all in the future of a 2nd battery, or extra accessories, or running the winch very heavily, I'd strongly push towards larger cable. Do it right the first time and not have to worry about it as much later on.

Either way should work fine, just depends on what the future plans are. Get the machine up on some ramps, few bolts to take the skidplate off, ziptie the cabling to frame or whatevers you can find underneath and up into the hood, doesnt take very long.

Edit to add: but yes, please don't do a splice, make it 1 cable run.

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
As I recall I initially used 6 gauge from rear battery along frame underside, ran negative line too. Then once I installed a second underhood battery hooked my Super Winch Terra Series 45s to underhood battery. Didn’t care for the Super Winch Line that came with it and opted for welding cable quality line. For me as I’m more often then not miles and miles from no where, no cell service and by myself.... recovery gear needs to work every time, I say spend the extra dough it’s nothing compared to remote recover costs, or worse.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I did 6 ga solid copper wire, and added a switched circuit breaker near the battery while at it. Its a multi thousand dollar machine.

Reactions: JCart and hallic
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
As I recall I initially used 6 gauge from rear battery along frame underside, ran negative line too. Then once I installed a second underhood battery hooked my Super Winch Terra Series 45s to underhood battery. Didn’t care for the Super Winch Line that came with it and opted for welding cable quality line. For me as I’m more often then not miles and miles from no where, no cell service and by myself.... recovery gear needs to work every time, I say spend the extra dough it’s nothing compared to remote recover costs, or worse.

I agree with the welding cable, HD and much more flexible to work with. Saw in another thread that someone suggested audio cable, which works great as well but can be super expensive as it's usually oxygen free copper for sound quality.

Reactions: Mudder and JCart
HUBBA730

HUBBA730

Oct 5, 2020
Iron Mountain, MI
Ownership

1. 500
Just use the red/black cables in place of the yellow/blue and vice-versa.
It has no yellow and blue wires.

SmartSelect 20201014 081843 Drive

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!