Suspension Upgrade Suggestions?

NDavies

NDavies

May 29, 2022
Naramata, BC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Hi, new to the group, I've got a 2016 Pioneer 1000-EPS, used it mostly for farm use over the past 5 years, some simple off road trail runs to some local lakes. Looking to upgrade the stock suspension to handle more heavy higher speed bumps/rocks and some hill climbing/rock crawling. Currently have 27" tires but thinking of moving to a 30" radial. Also might like a bit wider stance. Any suggestions for first time suspension upgrades would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance everyone.

IMG 7563

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Asking about suspension upgrades is like asking about what flavor apple you like. They are all apples and some cost more than others. Any upgrade over stock will be a noticeable upgrade. The real question is how much do you want to spend.

When going to a 30" tire you have to have forward arms and some sort of lift/pre-load to clear them. Depending on terrain type heavy 30" radials can be hard to spin up. There is alot that goes into your initial question and alot of research needed.

There are MANY options. If you are on a budget I would recommend fox shocks, high lifter forward arms, 28" tires and wheels and hammer it.

If money isn't a problem then go TTC forward arms with lift and rhino axles with elka stage 5 shocks, some portals and 34s.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Asking about suspension upgrades is like asking about what flavor apple you like. They are all apples and some cost more than others. Any upgrade over stock will be a noticeable upgrade. The real question is how much do you want to spend.

When going to a 30" tire you have to have forward arms and some sort of lift/pre-load to clear them. Depending on terrain type heavy 30" radials can be hard to spin up. There is alot that goes into your initial question and alot of research needed.

There are MANY options. If you are on a budget I would recommend fox shocks, high lifter forward arms, 28" tires and wheels and hammer it.

If money isn't a problem then go TTC forward arms with lift and rhino axles with elka stage 5 shocks, some portals and 34s.
I've got 5's if I had it do do all over again I would go with the 3's, unless you are a shock guy and likes messing with settings. I do like my 30" tires and SATV a-arms. Welcome to the quagmire!

Last edited:
Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks. I figured it was a bit of a loaded question so am prepared for the internet "blowback". Ok, I appreciate the comments nonetheless and its a starting point. I'll look into this. Hoping to keep it around $5k.
If $5k is your budget I think you would be happiest with some SuperATV arms, nice wheels and tires, get your machine setup how you like it/want it, weigh it and calculate it and order some elka 3s made/tuned for your weight setup.

NDavies

NDavies

May 29, 2022
Naramata, BC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If $5k is your budget I think you would be happiest with some SuperATV arms, nice wheels and tires, get your machine setup how you like it/want it, weigh it and calculate it and order some elka 3s made/tuned for your weight setup.
Thanks. After some digging and following other comments, that sounds like the right plan. Appreciate it again.

NDavies

NDavies

May 29, 2022
Naramata, BC
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Got the Elka Stage 3's installed and waaaayyyyy better already. Super ATV A-arms enroute. While I have everyone's attention, looking for a decent cargo rack for the Pioneer 1000. I really like the Razorback.Like to get some Rotopax cans, etc. Has anyone seen something like this that fits the Honda?
Screen Shot 2022 06 10 at 103907 AM

Spoonbill

Spoonbill

Apr 24, 2020
East TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After Ride Royal Blue last weekend, I realize I really need to do some sort of Suspension Upgarde. I need to keep my budget around $2K-$2.5K ( yes, I m retired). I’m running 28” Carnivores and am very impressed but zi need more clearance and a better ride for Senora Sponnbill. Having said all that Should I start with the SHocks (Fox, Elka, or Bandit)?

PJon

PJon

Lifetime Member
Dec 9, 2020
Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After Ride Royal Blue last weekend, I realize I really need to do some sort of Suspension Upgarde. I need to keep my budget around $2K-$2.5K ( yes, I m retired). I’m running 28” Carnivores and am very impressed but zi need more clearance and a better ride for Senora Sponnbill. Having said all that Should I start with the SHocks (Fox, Elka, or Bandit)?
As you know, there are various brands out there. Stick with the one’s mentioned most that you can adjust the spring pre-load. Fox seems to be very popular and may be the low price solution. However, you’re probably going to need to change springs. Look at suspension upgrades in the search area and you’ll find some good write ups. If you stick with 28” tires, you shouldn’t have to change A arms.

Backwoods

Backwoods

Ambassador of Crocs / Speaker of truth & facts /
Lifetime Member
Mar 2, 2018
Douglasville ga
Ownership

1. 700-2
Do the Elka they'll custom build to your specs .

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!