Not open for further replies.
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I took ours off with the plans of putting it back on if needed - that was about a year ago and almost forgot where I put it. I can't see where for our style of riding (slow crawling or just exploring) I will ever put it back on.

Concur! I would not take it off from P1000, but suspension is way better on it too. For P500 it helps also to smooth the ride, and you limited by 40 mph. But always do what you feel is safer for you and your level of comfort.

newb

newb

Oct 29, 2015
london , ar
Concur! I would not take it off from P1000, but suspension is way better on it too. For P500 it helps also to smooth the ride, and you limited by 40 mph. But always do what you feel is safer for you and your level of comfort.
Another happy swaybar remover , much improved ride , better crawlability and no downside on the mountain trails I ride in Ar .

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I took ours off with the plans of putting it back on if needed - that was about a year ago and almost forgot where I put it. I can't see where for our style of riding (slow crawling or just exploring) I will ever put it back on.

That's my kind of driving too. Just figured I'd keep it in the garage just in case I ever sold it, unlikely as that is.

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
I carry a lot of weight when we go riding and I push the speed of the thing with it off I could feel the rear dipping into turns BUT for slower riding rough rocky rutty trails I think is rides a lot better with it disconnected

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
How is the handling on off camber hills with the sway bar off? It seems like it might make the machine a little unstable on the down hill side if the weight causes some body roll increasing the roll over factor.

Reactions: Gem99Ultra
Gem99Ultra

Gem99Ultra

Dec 29, 2015
Warm Springs, GA
How is the handling on off camber hills with the sway bar off? It seems like it might make the machine a little unstable on the down hill side if the weight causes some body roll increasing the roll over factor.
That's what I was thinking too. I have a couple of trails that have to traversed sideways. Disconnecting the sway bar 'seems' like it would make the buggy tip over sooner. Right or Wrong?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not really, but u should adjust rear shocks for load appropriately. I think there is more contact with surface when the bar is off.

p500fan

p500fan

Lifetime Member
Mar 30, 2015
Sand Point, AK
I carry a lot of weight when we go riding and I push the speed of the thing with it off I could feel the rear dipping into turns BUT for slower riding rough rocky rutty trails I think is rides a lot better with it disconnected
I'm in agreement with you. I load mine fairly heavy. While I'm not the "speed demon" you like to be, I feel that it is a benefit to stabilizing the P500. I run the gamut in terrain. I'm just as likely to be driving to the store for groceries as running a ridge line trail, or even crossing a coastal swamp. I have considered removing it for mountain riding, but more than half the time, I'm up there hunting. The chance of having to carry myself, my gear, and 600-800 pounds of meat back home is enough for me to leave it on. The P500 is different things to different people. If I were a dedicated rock crawler, it would have been removed when the new tires went on. (Mile 11) As it is, I feel the gains in articulation are outweighed by the need for stabilization.

Reactions: jak9922
advertisement
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Waiting for 4Runner to be build, if I like KDSS, will upgrade P500 :)))))

Reactions: scottp500
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
That's what I was thinking too. I have a couple of trails that have to traversed sideways. Disconnecting the sway bar 'seems' like it would make the buggy tip over sooner. Right or Wrong?
I'm just not getting a good feel for the off camber trails and the body roll (weight) pushing to the downhill side that could increase the tip over factor. Tip over you can deal with, rolling downs the side of the mountain would suck. On level ground and crawling over rocks the removed sway bar will do the job but where I ride you get all of the above.

Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
I'm just not getting a good feel for the off camber trails and the body roll (weight) pushing to the downhill side that could increase the tip over factor. Tip over you can deal with, rolling downs the side of the mountain would suck. On level ground and crawling over rocks the removed sway bar will do the job but where I ride you get all of the above.
That is my concern also. I ride any and all kinds of trails I guess I need a way to quick disconnect if needed

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Its all comfort level i put mine back on because of my riding style if you dont have a big box on the back carry 200lbs everytime you ride and ride to the rev limiter everytime then you will benefit from it even on off camber hills without a loaded assend you will not tip and if u do then you would tip with the sway bar on lol ive flopped it a few times backing up turning to where i wouldnt have with the sway bar disconnected!!!!!! But its up to riding styler and comfort level and you have to be honest with yourself about it

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That is my concern also. I ride any and all kinds of trails I guess I need a way to quick disconnect if needed

Just carry a wrench and disconnect it at the joints, tight them with zip lines. I tested it this way and then permanently removed the bar.

I dont ride 40 mph on moguls :), I have plenty on speed doing 140 mph on my GTL 1600 , P500 helps me to slow down :)

Code54

Code54

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jan 31, 2015
Hurricane West Virginia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I am normally riding very steep off camber trails (some of the guys won't go across on atvs) we take the Pioneer across with no sway bar on it. Never had a problem with it tipping over and really did better than expected.

Reactions: solrus
jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Best advise take it off and try it if you dont like it lol but it back on that simple we could debate this all night with same results

Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
Best advise take it off and try it if you dont like it lol but it back on that simple we could debate this all night with same results
Agreed. How about a quick disconnect would something like a locking pin or hitch pin then we would have the best of both worlds. If I carry a wrench how hard will it be to disconnect or reconnect if it only takes a few min then I will just carry a wrench and zip ties keep it disconnected and if I'm going faster etc just connect it quick. Where do I zip tie it to?

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Agreed. How about a quick disconnect would something like a locking pin or hitch pin then we would have the best of both worlds. If I carry a wrench how hard will it be to disconnect or reconnect if it only takes a few min then I will just carry a wrench and zip ties keep it disconnected and if I'm going faster etc just connect it quick. Where do I zip tie it to?
Seriously would you stop in a trail and spend 15mins to disconnect ur sway bar for 5 minute ride or just hammer through it say that was a blast lets keep going its not night and day difference maybe if ur s 2nd gear leaf peeper or true crawler ull never notice the difference

advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!