P500 swaybar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
If it is that much of a hassle I would never do it . It looked like it could be a two min job or so then maybe. I guess I really need a Lexus 470 then I would be set :)

jak9922

jak9922

hot headed wopolock
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Jun 2, 2015
pittstown ny
Or hey new jeep rubicons just flip a switch lol

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
I think I've seen somewhere maybe the other site where someone made a cable operated disconnect for the P500. As noted by most here slow riding rough terrain light loads disconnect is nice, I notice smoother ride. Fast gravel roads and loaded I prefer it hooked up, way smoother easier controlled drifts...

jrc

Reactions: Montecresto
Talen

Talen

Aug 7, 2015
Central PA
Unhooked mine last week. I've been out twice since then. It is a new machine. Much better ride. And it didn't feel unstable ever. Even at high speeds. So happy I did this

Reactions: joeymt33 and solrus
Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
I think I am going to unhook mine this weekend and report back I have some good test spots where I almost rolled the p500 do to the rear tire catching a vine on high side of steep hill I think disconnecting will help with this

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I think I am going to unhook mine this weekend and report back I have some good test spots where I almost rolled the p500 do to the rear tire catching a vine on high side of steep hill I think disconnecting will help with this
If you have opportunity, do some fast driving on curvy gravel/forest roads so you can report the effects of the mod on that.

Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
If you have opportunity, do some fast driving on curvy gravel/forest roads so you can report the effects of the mod on that.
Good point I will try that. Some of the trails I ride will be a good test I'll make a point to do that.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Good point I will try that. Some of the trails I ride will be a good test I'll make a point to do that.
Great, it will help me decide whether or not to disconnect mine. Much of the riding we do is in a 76,000 acre forest with miles and miles of gravel roads that we have to ride on to get to the various trails that we take. And we usually take those roads at high speed. So thanks for checking that.

M

Moose308

Jun 16, 2015
I carry a lot of weight when we go riding and I push the speed of the thing with it off I could feel the rear dipping into turns BUT for slower riding rough rocky rutty trails I think is rides a lot better with it disconnected
What exactly does the sway bar do?

advertisement
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Looking forward to your findings especially on the off camber hillsides and see if it remains stable at angles. That is what keep me from unhooking mine because while doing a lot of rock riding there are a lot of fairly steep hillsides we encounter.

Reactions: rocmar
Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
Looking forward to your findings especially on the off camber hillsides and see if it remains stable at angles. That is what keep me from unhooking mine because while doing a lot of rock riding there are a lot of fairly steep hillsides we encounter.
Ok I ran a run with the swaybar went to the hill with the vine that I almost rolled it on. Stopped on the vine the front wheel was barely touching the ground and with 1 finger I could tilt it 3-4 inches off the ground. With the sway bar detached and ziptied up same spot I stopped on the vine felt slightly less tippy the front tire was touching the ground (not barely like before) and it took a few fingers to get the tire 3-4 inches off the ground. Driving back the fast trails full speed 40-41 weaving between brush dips and rocks (tight trail) you could feel the difference with it disconnected it 'swayed' or dipped more nothing scary. I was weaving back and forth if I added another 10-15 mph and tried that I think the bar would be a big help and would clearly be needed. I could not drive any faster as that is all the faster it goes. If the trail was more open than barely fitting my P500 I would not need to weave like that and on the open road at full speed it felt fine. If I drove crazy like that on those kind of trails all the time I would reconnect it. With it disconnected the smoother ride and I feel better stability on rocks and inclines I am keeping mine off.

Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
I don't have great pics and I could take a pic of myself tilting the buggy but this is steep and you could very easily push it over.

This is before swaybar disconnected.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456611305974246

This is after swaybar disconnected front wheel is more on the ground and still easily to push over but not very easy. When I got back it the first time just sitting in the drivers seat ( downhill side) you could feel the front wheel pick off the ground

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1456611476071689

Reactions: hambone
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
I don't have great pics and I could take a pic of myself tilting the buggy but this is steep and you could very easily push it over.

This is before swaybar disconnected.View attachment 10933

This is after swaybar disconnected front wheel is more on the ground and still easily to push over but not very easy. When I got back it the first time just sitting in the drivers seat ( downhill side) you could feel the front wheel pick off the ground

View attachment 10934
Thanks for the detailed report and pictures. After reading your post and seeing the pictures I think I will disconnect mine and see how it works for me. With the disconnect one just needs to keep that in mind when traversing a steep hillside. We ride so many rocky areas the smoother ride would be a plus allowing the Independent suspension to do it's job.

Talen

Talen

Aug 7, 2015
Central PA
Thanks for the detailed report and pictures. After reading your post and seeing the pictures I think I will disconnect mine and see how it works for me. With the disconnect one just needs to keep that in mind when traversing a steep hillside. We ride so many rocky areas the smoother ride would be a plus allowing the Independent suspension to do it's job.
Honestly it is more stable in the hills. The only negative is at 40mph in turns. But still seems fine. It actually surprises me the folks that say they laid them over. Been in some hairy spots and go fast. But it's fine. I need more speed and power. May upgrade to 1000. We hit a lot of dirt road. And I'm always in back

Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Honestly it is more stable in the hills. The only negative is at 40mph in turns. But still seems fine. It actually surprises me the folks that say they laid them over. Been in some hairy spots and go fast. But it's fine. I need more speed and power. May upgrade to 1000. We hit a lot of dirt road. And I'm always in back
Did you adjust the rear shocks or just leave them as they were?

Z

zxylene

Nov 28, 2015
Carlisle, PA
I have them as soft as they can go
No problem.

It is very easy to remove I used I think a 13mm socket loosened the bolt. It was very tight and loosed most of the way with my fingers. Pulled out the bolt. The attachment arm swings up and I zip tied it. The other side the same and then swung the swaybar up a bit and zip tied. Took maybe 4-5 min. I also tightened the bolts back into the attachment arms so I don't need to look for them later. I rode it a bit more after uploading and writing about it and I agree more stable on hills.

Reactions: NPN
Stacy

Stacy

Jul 12, 2015
Twin falls idaho
Ownership

1. 500
Took a quick ride last night to try the sway bar removal mod. All I can say is wow, and it won't be going back in. Had that same stupid grin from ear to ear like the day I drove home with it :) I really put it through some corners on gravel roads on the high end, it flexes a bit but in the end I liked how much better the ride felt. The improved ride will be much easier on my photography equipment. Here's a shot I got last night.
Print 1 copy

advertisement
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!