P1000m5 Switch illumination

Stone

Stone

Jun 5, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I just installed some mic tuning 5 pin switches for some led lights and winch. I have located and use the "key on power" for my winch and it works fine. Now I'm trying to get the lower light on the switch to illuminate when the headlights are on, the upper light illuminates like it should when I turn on the switches. I have read the thread on this and tapped into the brown wire shown and wired to the lower right pin on the switch but it still doesn't illuminate when the lights are on...... I need help I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I know the lower light of the switch works cause if I put a jumper wire from the middle pin (pin where I hook batter power to) to the lower right pin the light will come on but stays on all the time. Any help appreciated!!

Stone

Stone

Jun 5, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I tapped the key on hot for illumination on my switches..granted they are lit whenever the key is on. But that's what I wanted .

I tried that initially and it would not illuminate it either... I must be wiring something up wrong, did u wire it into the lower right pin when looking at it from the back?

IMG 0155

D

Darby

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2016
Salem, Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If I recall... looking from the back... your hot wire should tap into the lower right... and pigtail into the 2nd plug from the bottom... on the left

Reactions: Montecresto
D

Darby

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2016
Salem, Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-3
the top two should both be ground... bottom left should go to your lights... (from memory.. but think that's right...)

Reactions: Jshell3
D

Darby

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2016
Salem, Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-3
doh! if i looked at your picture... yes.. you should have power come into either the 2nd from bottom left, or the bottom right.. and then pigtail that hot into the other slot also... mictuning usually sends you the pigtailed wires....

Reactions: Jshell3
J

Jshell3

I just installed some mic tuning 5 pin switches for some led lights and winch. I have located and use the "key on power" for my winch and it works fine. Now I'm trying to get the lower light on the switch to illuminate when the headlights are on, the upper light illuminates like it should when I turn on the switches. I have read the thread on this and tapped into the brown wire shown and wired to the lower right pin on the switch but it still doesn't illuminate when the lights are on...... I need help I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong. I know the lower light of the switch works cause if I put a jumper wire from the middle pin (pin where I hook batter power to) to the lower right pin the light will come on but stays on all the time. Any help appreciated!!
Did you get it figured out?
I have mine hooked up as such:
  • Key off. All off.
  • Key on,. Lowers switch illuminates.
  • Flip on the switch (with key on) top and bottom of switch illuminate and Lightbar comes on.

I can take a pic of you need. But Yes. Requires the included pigtails.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Darby

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2016
Salem, Oregon
Ownership

1. 1000-3
if you pigtail them like i have... the bottom lights up only when the lights are on... not "key on".. because for me.. i don't want the switch to look like it's "active", when it's really not.. (if the lights are only able to come on when my headlights are on... then i want the switch to indicate that...) But if you run a separate power source from the "key on"... some people apparently do that...

J

Jshell3

if you pigtail them like i have... the bottom lights up only when the lights are on... not "key on".. because for me.. i don't want the switch to look like it's "active", when it's really not.. (if the lights are only able to come on when my headlights are on... then i want the switch to indicate that...) But if you run a separate power source from the "key on"... some people apparently do that...
@Darby my bad. You are right.

I over-looked @Stone initial request to have lowers illuminate at "Lights On", not "key on". Sorry

My switches work like @GlockMeister bc that's the way I wanted them to operate.
And, I'm no expert. I had to have a buddy of mine help me think it through. (But in fairness, I was having to deal with a relay, too... so that's more wires and stuff). We took a spare lawnmower battery and tested several different ways on the shop floor before I cut any hole in my P500 dash.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stone

Stone

Jun 5, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
All right so I was able to work on it today and I got it figured out!! I don't know what I was doing wrong the last time but I just tried hooking the "light on" wire that I tapped into, to the bottom right pen "again" but this time everything works like it should Something somewhere else must have not been right but it's all good now! Turns on only when the headlights are on!! Thanks for everyone's help!

Jimmyscoin

Jimmyscoin

Nov 27, 2016
Fairbanks, alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
  • Key off. All off.
  • Flip on the switch (with key on) top and bottom of switch illuminate and Lightbar comes on.

• Key off. All off.

jshell3, you said the "included" pigtails. I just got my switches I ordered from otrattw and they didn't come with any pigtails. Did yours come with them or did you just make them yourself?

J

Jshell3

jshell3, you said the "included" pigtails. I just got my switches I ordered from otrattw and they didn't come with any pigtails. Did yours come with them or did you just make them yourself?
Came with them. I ordered mictuning brand from Amazon. $10 a switch.
But you could make them, no problem.

Reactions: JTW
Jimmyscoin

Jimmyscoin

Nov 27, 2016
Fairbanks, alaska
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If I am going to be running a fuse box, would the power for "#2 Power in Source" come from the hot wire from the fuse box or would I still pigtail #6 and #2? I know the power to #6 is coming from the key on power.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!