P500 Tackett Creek and RRB?

T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
I’ve been wanting to ride some of these trails, but others say I need a bigger machine. I’ve had the p5 about a year. I could actually ride from my house to Tackett, but hated to pay for the out of state permit if most of the trails are too tough. I’ve rode most of the area around clear creek, cannon creek lake, and around the towers at middlesboro without problems. Have any of you had your p5 on Tackett?

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
You can ride a lot in Tacket without much problem and see a lot of the major scenic areas (cabin, Mcclean overlook, Slate rock). Some of the trails are really rocky though and may be pretty difficult in the P5 do to ground clearance. Larger tires, winch and front locker would be a must I think. I trail rode a P500 for a year and half before getting talon, they do go surprisingly well but have their limitations.

T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Thanks for the advice.. I do have 26” big horns on it and was thinking about getting a winch. Do you know which permit or license I’d actually need? I’ve heard different ones. Thanks again.

7DCD5E6C 870F 45BE 968B C36843D34259

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
Thanks for the advice.. I do have 26” big horns on it and was thinking about getting a winch. Do you know which permit or license I’d actually need? I’ve heard different ones. Thanks again.

View attachment 275396

Same permits as Ride Royal Blue. You'll also need GPS to get around. Trails are not marked.

Tennessee Residents​

• Daily Permit: Type 36 ($18 per day)
  • Annual Pass: Type 1 plus Type 93 ($56)
  • Junior Annual ( 13± ): Type 2 plus Type 94 ($35)
Passengers and Children 12 and under are FREE.

NOTE: A Sportsman and Lifetime License holder, as well as Active Military Member, will cover your riding permit.

Out of State Visitors​

• Daily Permit: Type 38 ($40 per day)
  • Seven-day pass: Type 72 plus Type 93 ($84)
  • Annual Pass: Type 71 plus Type 93 ($133)
  • Junior Annual ( 13± ): Type 70 plus Type 94 ($36)
Passengers and Children 12 and under are FREE.

T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Got to go to Tackett today, but not on the p500. A friend showed me around on a rzr. I think I could make the cabin, slate rock for sure, and the overlook. We went down the hill to the sand cave and it was rough. Pretty rocky, I figure I would bottom out a lot down that trail. There was another trail that he said we could take just past the one we went down. Then we went out another way back to the top of the mountain. Is there easier ways to the sand cave that might come up from bottom.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Got to go to Tackett today, but not on the p500. A friend showed me around on a rzr. I think I could make the cabin, slate rock for sure, and the overlook. We went down the hill to the sand cave and it was rough. Pretty rocky, I figure I would bottom out a lot down that trail. There was another trail that he said we could take just past the one we went down. Then we went out another way back to the top of the mountain. Is there easier ways to the sand cave that might come up from bottom.
The trail up from the bottom to the sand cave is the roughest. I've went down it twice in my 1000 and I'm almost positive I would have to winch in a few spots coming up. There is 2 trails coming down from the McLean overlook and cabin side. That's probably the 2 trails that you did. There is another that comes out in the direction toward v-rock. I not been on that 1 in a few years but it use to be the easiest but things change all the time.

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
We had 2 500s in our group Wednesday. Coming down from McLean overlook we took the first trail to the sand cave. Coming out we took the trail that comes out closer to the cabin. The 500 on 26s and a front locker came out with no problem. The basically stock 500 we had to throw some rocks in places and I think winch it once or twice.

Last edited:
NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah skid plate, winch, spacers, snorkel/vent lines along with the desire and you can put that P5 where you want to.

Add a locker and tires you can winch less often.

T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Thanks. We came down the hill closest to the McLean overlook. After we got to the place you can walk to the cave, we went back up the same trail just a little ways and kicked back off toward the right. I think it took us toward stone face. We rode out the top til the roads forked again and turned around. Followed the top back outta Middlesboro entrance. I have 26’s on it. You think a winch and locker would be all I need. Thanks

TripleB

TripleB

Lifetime Member
Aug 13, 2018
Caryville, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Thanks. We came down the hill closest to the McLean overlook. After we got to the place you can walk to the cave, we went back up the same trail just a little ways and kicked back off toward the right. I think it took us toward stone face. We rode out the top til the roads forked again and turned around. Followed the top back outta Middlesboro entrance. I have 26’s on it. You think a winch and locker would be all I need. Thanks
As long as you have a winch you should make it. Locker will just make it easier.

J80

J80

Lifetime Member
Dec 29, 2018
WNC
Good skid plates is a must too

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The 3 most important things if you do not want internal damage is ....... skidplate, skidplate, and skidplate!

T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
Thanks for all the advice. What skid plates do you recommend? For mounting a winch, will all I need is the Kfi mount? Looking at a badlands 3500 winch? Is that sufficient? Thanks

Vondy

Vondy

Lifetime Member
Mar 10, 2015
Houston,OH
Ownership

1. Talon X4
3500 should be fine on a 500. I have SSS offroad skid plate on my 500. I like UHMW rather than metal, quieter and retains shape. I don't know that there is many options in UHMW for the 500. SSS has held up well, unfortunately, there is lots of self tappers that hold skid on, but the design of the 500 doesnt really allow any other options.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I prefer to buy the largest capacity in the frame size of winch that will fit the machine. Sometimes the 4500 or 5k is no larger dimensionally but can run at a lesser amp draw longer under the same load conditions. I'm no expert but I read a s*** load about the different set ups and determined that super winch was USA made and had metal gears in it. I use my winch frequently for work and play so I made sure I got a good one. That said I've put harbor freight winches on other equipment that I wasn't concerned with leaving me stranded. I'm a buy once cry one kind of guy.

T

THeck

Jun 3, 2020
Southeast, KY
Ownership

1. 500

2. Do not currently own
3500 should be fine on a 500. I have SSS offroad skid plate on my 500. I like UHMW rather than metal, quieter and retains shape. I don't know that there is many options in UHMW for the 500. SSS has held up well, unfortunately, there is lots of self tappers that hold skid on, but the design of the 500 doesnt really allow any other options.
So the Sss doesn’t just use the factory screws to mount it. You have to make extra holes. Right?

Reactions: NTCPrezJB and J80

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!