Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I agree with much of what has already been said above. Big Picture though, location, location, location.

While this year was cram packed at RRB resort, we do have 2 new campgrounds going in that will be in full swing by this fall. My point, how many places does everyone know of that can accommodate 500 reservations and direct access to trails.

There is 70% of the trails here untouched by most of us, the New River Unit has lots of potential for EXPERIENCED riders that are worn out on Sundquist trail for 3 years now, still we need these easier trails for the new and inexperienced to cut their teeth on, from there they gain confidence in what they and their Honda can do. Trying to keep everyone entertained is difficult but for the been there done that guys, get maps, GPS files, and try going west of Eternal Flame, you can travel the 21 miles fast then get into the good stuff, and if you break can get out by trailer and roads. Also don't forget Tackett Creek it's 54,000 acres of trails of Widowmaker difficulty and harder all 30 minutes east of RRB.

Involving the ladies early on can be an invaluable asset and take a lot of attention to detail off several aspects we give second thought about.

Eagle Campgrounds (Dave) told me every cabin they will have will be equipped with full bathrooms. That's a big deal to families also super easy Trail 1, 2,3, 4 access into the trials can be beneficial. Initially will have 80 RV spots, and room for 90 cabins, they are also working on a 26 acre fenced day parking area, all will have 24 hr security.

This year was the first year I really had any time to get involved much. Going forward I am committed to helping make the successful and grow. Even expanding to western US such as the ride this September in Utah, also on my radar are Taylor Park Colorado, Winchester Bay Oregon- 54 miles of ocean front beach, sand dunes, and wooded trails, they host 50K attendees every July. Interested in other locations too, this is a big country, but need to accommodate 200 reservations in that location.

Last edited:
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
@Tramguage1 mentioned starting a committee to take care of the events and let the regular crew keep the forum running. I'll help anyway I can just ask. It will help take some of the load off off @Hondasxs. Also some more feed back about lodging. I stayed at the campground last year it was fine got a little loud sometimes late at night but that is to be expected. This year I stayed at the comfort inn. It wasn't bad at all I never once worried about my atv or sxs getting stolen or anything. Plenty of places to get breakfast a subway to thow in the cooler and a Mexican restaurant for dinner. There are several different ways to get to the campground which made it fun to choose a different way each time. Trail 27 from the campground to the trails gets old.

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Eagle Campgrounds (Dave) told me every cabin they will have will be equipped with full bathrooms. That's a big deal to families also super easy Trail 1, 2,3, 4 access into the trials can be beneficial. Initially will have 80 RV spots, and room for 90 cabins, they are also working on a 26 acre fenced day parking area, all will have 24 hr security.
We lost water over the weekend in our cabin, at the worst time!
I am told @JTW came out of the shower all soapy. Good thing I was dead asleep!

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had a blast and it is making it impossible to be productive at work today - at least on work items. Thank you for all that went into the planning and execution of this event and for the rides that you led us on. All good point above. Being my first take over (but someone who has ridden with many member here previously) here is my $.02

Making it easier on new people

Lots of talk about setting up a beginner ride and @Tramguage1 and @CaptinJackRZR stepped up and led one - I did not see all but bet it was well attended. - Suggestion - what about having a designated mapped and maybe even well marked beginner trail ride - As much as I hate to mention -lmost a poker run sort of trail with designated stops along the way that you retrieve something. You could get members to help mark a couple days ahead and this way there does not have to be a specific met up time and newer people can explore. If there was time and you wanted to,you could video the route ahead of time and post it for them to view.

List of recommended equipment- a recommend min carry list for a group or individual. Many people don’t carry the basic tire plug kit and mini air compressor

Meeting More members

The shirts with names were a great addition as were the name stickers people put on the rides.

It is hard to recommend scheduling more meeting event times as we all came there to ride and that will take on a life of its own and push you to stay out later than intended. It will always be personal responsibility to get out and meet people but an announcement board to check daily for updates - posted online and say the general store and stage would help with the meet ups.. The Creek fire social some but not sure everyone knew about it.

I met a lot of people who browse the forum but don’t post. – How do we get them active.

Regional Rides - I think the several regional rides really helped to become more involved and get to know more members ahead of bigger events.

I like your suggestion on the classes – I know I wanted to watch Joey change out his axle just so I know what was involved. Sooner or later you’re going to have a tie rod bend so everyone might want to get some experience there.

Improving the rides

@JTW comment on trails vs roads was spot on

Really my first time riding RRB trails but 2nd to the area. No doubt with the energy around this year the event will grow next year. Is there a place that can house 500+? I am sure we were 90%+ of the rentals at RRB this year and next year will sell out even faster. Hopefully that other campground comes on board and there is another location that can house people.

General

Vendors would bereat . I am willing to bet that if say Trail armor had attended they could have sold and installed more than a few sets. I know I would have bought a harness bar there had they been for sale on location… I bet many people would have bought LED Whips with all the question I got.

Sat night the tables being set up were great - While we all want to ride as soon as we get there maybe get some volunteers to man a sign in table during a designated time on Friday. – sort of a meet and great area next to the general store.

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
First, I want to say thank you to everyone that had a hand in this. Getting this many people together is not an easy task and requires a lot of work. Most things have already been said. My first time to Ride Royal Blue. I had an awesome time. Loved meeting the people I talk to on here and Facebook in person. Was great riding with all the Pioneers as well to see how their machines did and how it was different. I think it was very well planned for meet up activities as well as the cookout and raffle. Id defiantly go back next year. Radios were great on the trail, hope next year even more people have them.

What I thought could be better-

Groups that are riding, and what they are planning for the day. I had a great time with our group and felt I lucked out. I wanted to see the sights since it was my first time and they did an awesome job with that. But without @Tramguage1 saying what time they were meeting I would have been mostly clueless. I was on channel 4 most of the time and didnt hear much talk about what was going on.

Trail system- I loved the creek and had some great views, but honestly I wasnt a fan... maybe Ive been spoiled by WV but i felt the trails were poorly maintained in comparison.

Suggestions:

I think the group is getting large enough there should be committees to handle different aspects to take some of the load off @Hondasxs. He did an awesome job but can only do so much especially with how big its getting.

Location: Maybe im partial because i know it better, but I think a location like Ashland in WV would be better accommodating for the size. There are multiple campgrounds within a short ride from the Ashland resort, all can be ridden to by ATV/ SXS. Rides for the day can provide plenty of options for trail difficulty. Hatfield trails are typically well maintained with good trail maps. You can ride to town for gas and lunch off each trail system as well.

Vendors: Would hope to see more vendors setup next time. Food and parts.

Classes: as mentioned there are tasks that were done on site like changing a tie rod or axle that could have been good information for others if they knew it was going to happen. Given, I know its hard to wait for people when we just want it fixed and get back out riding.

Last edited:
sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with much of what has already been said above. Big Picture though, location, location, location.

While this year was cram packed at RRB resort, we do have 2 new campgrounds going in that will be in full swing by this fall. My point, how many places does everyone know of that can accommodate 500 reservations and direct access to trails.

There is 70% of the trails here untouched by most of us, the New River Unit has lots of potential for EXPERIENCED riders that are worn out on Sundquist trail for 3 years now, still we need these easier trails for the new and inexperienced to cut their teeth on, from there they gain confidence in what they and their Honda can do. Trying to keep everyone entertained is difficult but for the been there done that guys, get maps, GPS files, and try going west of Eternal Flame, you can travel the 21 miles fast then get into the good stuff, and if you break can get out by trailer and roads.

Involving the ladies early on can be an invaluable asset and take a lot of attention to detail off several aspects we give second thought about.

This year was the first year I really had any time to get involved much. Going forward I am committed to helping make the successful and grow. Even expanding to western US such as the ride this September in Utah, also on my radar are Taylor Park Colorado, Winchester Bay Oregon- 54 miles of ocean front beach, sand dunes, and wooded trails, they host 50K attendees every July. Interested in other locations too, this is a big country, but need to accommodate 200 reservations in that location.
I met @Eaglecampground and his boys the other day when I was roaming around. Great people and seem to be excited about the new place and the ice cream they will have for the riders to take a break from the trails to eat. I will be interested in one of their cabins for next year for sure.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I also think the regional rides help a lot. The small group Captinjack and I ride with were able to ride and welcome others to join in with them. Would have liked to ride more with them but we all understand that this was to help welcome others into our group.

Tramguage1

Tramguage1

Texan
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 2, 2015
Somereset, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hell Mamma bear (Mrs Tramguage) and I did our best to get all 65+ cats in some type of order. Thanks for all the people that let us tell them where to put there machines. Also those that just left there keys inside so I could move them!

Dragon21

Dragon21

In my defense, I was left unsupervised
Lifetime Member
Sep 23, 2013
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
  • Would you be interested in some how/to classes like Winching 101, or tie rod/cv changeout trailside?- Trail side repair is always something good to learn from. I havent bent a tie rod yet, and even though i dont doubt I can do one, would love to see one done in person first.
  • How about the location, Have we been to RRB enough?- I Think having the Main camp at Ashland Resort in WV and using the surrounding camp grounds, we could accommodate everyone. As long as people can plan enough ahead.
  • Where would you like to have it and can it handle 500+ people next year- See previous comment
  • Easter is this weekend next year, So, what date would you like to have it?- First Weekend in May?

Neohio

Neohio

Beast of the East
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 22, 2016
Painesville Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
List of recommended equipment- a recommend min carry list for a group or individual. Many people don’t carry the basic tire plug kit and mini air compressor.
I rode almost exclusively with @Tramguage1 all weekend. I had spare parts(1000), plugs, comp etc. I have the skills and know how to fix 95% of the issues we would come across on a trail ride. To save people weight, we encouraged them to forego the tools and parts and replace mine if needed. We didn't need a single parts from my stash. We have some fuel issues in our rides and that was about it. Other member stepped up and offered fuel to those that needed it. I filled my machine every morning and didn't even think about fuel. Glad others did!

I like your suggestion on the classes – I know I wanted to watch Joey change out his axle just so I know what was involved. Sooner or later you’re going to have a tie rod bend so everyone might want to get some experience there.
Classes: as mentioned there are tasks that were done on site like changing a tie rod or axle that could have been good information for others if they knew it was going to happen. Given, I know its hard to wait for people when we just want it fixed and get back out riding.

What kind of videos are of interest to our club?
My youngest brother likes to shoot and edit videos.
I don't mind showing step by step how to videos for the betterment of the club.

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Can't do Colorado in april probably still snowed in
I was in many parts equally beautiful in Colorado this last winter and no snow but on the high peaks. but then... some of those high peaks are worth exploring. I'm definitely heading there on my way to and from the Paiute Trail Takeover in Sept. and then somewhere in there make time to go to Idaho again.

Lifetime-Trailmaps

Lifetime-Trailmaps

Mar 27, 2018
Dalton, GA
www.lifetimetrailmaps.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand
I think we need better info on the trails. Meaning what are roads vs trails. The @Lifetime-Trailmaps made it nice but I found I didn’t know what trails to take for more of a trail vs road route. A difficulty level of trails would be nice.

As I mentioned at the event, our trail color coding/trail difficulty colors got a bit jacked up in our system for Ride Royal Blue. It's all finished and about to go into an update.

J

JTW

As I mentioned at the event, our trail color coding/trail difficulty colors got a bit jacked up in our system for Ride Royal Blue. It's all finished and about to go into an update.
That’s awesome! Also, what are the decimal points on the trails? 12.4 or 10.2 etc? And is there a way to distinguish roads? What about a satalite view instead of topo?

Reactions: BWAF
Huntnbuddy2

Huntnbuddy2

Lifetime Member
Apr 23, 2017
Sand Mtn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
This forum is great and the Take Over was a wonderful experience. Thank you to Richard and everyone else involved in making it happen. I wish i could have gotten to speak with him more. I only got to meet him while choosing my prize (this tires) at the raffle. i believe a super job was done which is amazing considering the amount that it grew from last year!! I wasn't able to attend last year but was glued to the forum to see the fun thru videos and pictures.

I regret not getting involved in a group ride due to being apprehensive about holding others back even though i have a lot of confidence in my off road abilities. I wasn't real sure how to get to the places i had seen pictures of from last year. Someone provided the POI on one thread and had the maps but everything was on the RRB side and i heard all of the better trails were on the other side of the interstate. Maybe next year if at RRB again a map with directions to the other side with POI could be put on the forum for those who don't want to spend the large amount of money on a tablet.

I saw a number of people who didnt eat due to pork as the only option at the bar b que and it was also in the side dishes. Maybe add another meat option as well such as chicken or atleast have sides that don't have pork in them. I myself thought the food was very good. I just heard a few comments about the pork.

I liked the suggestion of seeking volunteers to help out with taking some of the load off of the select few who helped with this big undertaking. I would be happy to help out in some capacity for next year.

The staff at RRB were very friendly ad helpful. The place is very expensive but I don't have anything to compare it to as far as OHV parks are concerned. From the looks of some of the RV's, tow rigs and mods to machines i guess cost isn't a big concern for most.

I know that riding is the main reason most came but i liked the Saturday meal and meet and greet. It was a chance to sit back and relax and chat with others.

Ready for PIONEER TAKEOVER 2019 edition!!!!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!