Talon storage options poll

Which storage option listed below would you most like to see made avaible for purchase?

• X4 rear seat aluminum replacement expedition style box, full opening lid (XL capacity)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
B

Boundertom

Dec 12, 2020
AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon R
I might be interested in the X2 DIY kit, depending on pricing.

Reactions: Isaiah
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Finally was able to test fit the X4-p aluminum box prototype. It fit nicely and screwed down with the factory holes and hardware. I’ll make some very minor adjustments to the mounting holes and call it good.
6DB11869 30B2 43A2 AC68 5456B24E09B5

The vehicle for testing had a speaker mounted in the footwell and that made the install and removal VERY tight!!
23C46FE8 BDEC 4627 A5B1 ED1CFD0FE0D1

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
To gain access to the X4 passenger box, this is the amount of plastic that will need to be cut. I suggest these cuts because it's easy. If customers want to get creative they can make a round cut.

X4 p cut guide

Reactions: Montecresto
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I'm about to drop the hammer on my own CNC plasma table. This will help by speeding up prototyping and then rolling straight into production. The shop told me yesterday it'd be 3 weeks minimum before they can cut any aluminum for me. They are that busy. I just can't deal with being on someone else's schedule like this. This is killing me!! I'm a go NOW person!! I can't wait 3 weeks to get a prototype made, one week to fit test, then 3 more weeks to get any production versions made. My shifter plates are well designed to make production easy. When I can cut these myself I can make as many or as few as I want anytime. Talon DIY box kits can be cut on demand and shipped the next day. The effeciency is high and possibilies are endless.

However it'll be 2 months by the time I receive my cutter. I plan on investing in my own TIG machine also to weld the aluminum. With those 2 pieces of equipment I should be set for a while until I can't maintain production with demand. I have faith in my current products and so many more ideas bouncing inside my head. This is the most exciting, stimulating and energizing endevour I've ever done.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Guys, I've listed the X2-d cargo box DIY kit on my website for orders. The shop gave me some dates for availability. I have a few ordered right now to get on their schedule so if anyone wants a DIY kit, please send your orders in. Steel boxes I can get just about anytime within a week. Aluminum not so easy to get onto the schedule and may take 3-4 weeks.

Store link here:
X2-d cargo box DIY kit

Originally I was only going to offer aluminum kits and finished products but here is the problem. Most people will not have the equipment to weld aluminum and the steel kit will get people on board at a lower price point.

I'm trying to expand talon products available. My research shows that we are the only company to offer under seat cargo boxes for Talon so far. I also want to offer the DIY guys a chance to put some elbow grease into their accessories. My designs will make the assembly easy for anyone that can weld parts together with a MIG or Fluxcore welder.

UPDATE: Won't be able to laser cut the neoprene. It wants to catch fire! So my buddy 3D printed a template for me to cut around with a razor knife. It works well.

Neoprene gasket material is ordered and on the way for the near future. The plan is to laser cut the gaskets with a smaller format CO2 laser. Of course we have to test this first but we think it will work. These gaskets will seal the hatch lid to the box with 6 screws and teflon nuts. I've removed the gaskets from the supplied parts list for now and subtracted from the price. Customers will have to caulk connection for a good seal. I've done this on test units with Ultra Black it it works great.

Thanks guys. If you have questions feel free to contact me. No question is too dumb.
-Brian

Last edited:
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
I'm about to drop the hammer on my own CNC plasma table. This will help by speeding up prototyping and then rolling straight into production. The shop told me yesterday it'd be 3 weeks minimum before they can cut any aluminum for me. They are that busy. I just can't deal with being on someone else's schedule like this. This is killing me!! I'm a go NOW person!! I can't wait 3 weeks to get a prototype made, one week to fit test, then 3 more weeks to get any production versions made. My shifter plates are well designed to make production easy. When I can cut these myself I can make as many or as few as I want anytime. Talon DIY box kits can be cut on demand and shipped the next day. The effeciency is high and possibilies are endless.

However it'll be 2 months by the time I receive my cutter. I plan on investing in my own TIG machine also to weld the aluminum. With those 2 pieces of equipment I should be set for a while until I can't maintain production with demand. I have faith in my current products and so many more ideas bouncing inside my head. This is the most exciting, stimulating and energizing endevour I've ever done.

If you want to tig weld aluminum skip the plasma cutter and buy a router.

VenturaChuck

VenturaChuck

Apr 22, 2016
Ventura, CA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Noted. Thank you for the input. I’ll check with my shop guys next week for making this happen with aluminum for all size boxes. This will probably be .100” aluminum because that’s what they normally use so it’s on site.

i have the X4 drivers box drawn for this cutting but not the passenger box yet. That one will take a little more time with the mounting tabs.
A little less than 1/8” or .125”
Actually, 1/10"

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Explain the router please.

CNC router table gives you clean cuts that are ready to weld. (Boat builders use them for this reason)

Cnc Plasma cut edges need grinding before welding. (Minimal on steel because it’s forgiving but extensive on aluminum because it’s a finicky biatch with impurities)

This can be 50% of all labor costs in an aluminum fab project. (If you aren’t careful the grinder wheels can contaminate the aluminum and make a bad situation worse) IE using grinding wax because the wheels gum up with sticky aluminum......... the wax makes welding impossible.......

If you are going to do steel and aluminum plasma is more versatile.

Cnc router will not cut steel but it will cut wood, plastic, phenolic etc.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Interesting info Sheetmetalfab. I am planning on cutting steel and stainless steel in the future. SXS parts are not the only ideas bouncing in my head.

Update on Talon boxes:
The Talon cargo boxes will be rolled out incrementally. The fab shop is backed up right now so I'm on the list and waiting...

The X2-d steel box DIY kit is a go, tried and works. I have these listed on my website and ebay to check interest. Waiting on hatch mounting gasket material to arrive this week and be laser cut to include with the kits. No stock yet but I can get steel cut much quicker than aluminum to fullfill any orders received.

The X2 & X4 driver and X4-passenger box kits in aluminum are waiting to be cut to test the fit-up. If all is good on that test then I can order some cut out and assemble some kits for shipping. With the current wait I doubt I"ll have any for sale at the Takeover but probably will have the test units there for display so people can see what to expect when ordering online later.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Interesting info Sheetmetalfab. I am planning on cutting steel and stainless steel in the future. SXS parts are not the only ideas bouncing in my head.

Update on Talon boxes:
The Talon cargo boxes will be rolled out incrementally. The fab shop is backed up right now so I'm on the list and waiting...

The X2-d steel box DIY kit is a go, tried and works. I have these listed on my website and ebay to check interest. Waiting on hatch mounting gasket material to arrive this week and be laser cut to include with the kits. No stock yet but I can get steel cut much quicker than aluminum to fullfill any orders received.

The X2 & X4 driver and X4-passenger box kits in aluminum are waiting to be cut to test the fit-up. If all is good on that test then I can order some cut out and assemble some kits for shipping. With the current wait I doubt I"ll have any for sale at the Takeover but probably will have the test units there for display so people can see what to expect when ordering online later.

I believe the shopsabre brand is convertible from router to plasma for the best of both worlds.

Another way to do it with a plasma cutter is leaving extra 1/4” of material where welds happen and shearing that off for a clean weldable surface.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Another option I am considering:

Offering a paid download of either dimensioned drawings or patterns to print full size for customers to cut out the components for their boxes. What do you guy think about this?

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon X4
Another option I am considering:

Offering a paid download of either dimensioned drawings or patterns to print full size for customers to cut out the components for their boxes. What do you guy think about this?

I think you would be opening yourself up to copiers.......

Look into how boat plan sellers do it.

They send DXF files to a reputable shop with a contract saying they will only cut the amount of parts paid for.

Any pdf’s are purposely not to scale.

I like the idea of buying parts in the flat if they are cut cleanly. (But I have a welder at home)

Check out www.weldermade.com

Maybe you could even have them contract to cut and ship for you?

(I have bought from them and they are extremely responsive and professional)

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I agree with all of that too. I'd have to figure out the legal crap.

Still waiting on the shop to get to my first run of aluminum kits to check how they fit up. Once confirmed to fit properly I'll have some cut for inventory. More of the hatch lids have already been ordered in preparation for this. The laser cut edges are super clean! The last batch of Pioneer shifter plates they cut for me have the cleanest edges ever. They look sharp!

L

lifeisgoodsteve

Feb 13, 2021
Bitterroot Valley, MT
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Late to the game, but what is:

X4 rear seat aluminum replacement expedition style box, full opening lid​

If you're talking about the quick unlatch of the bottom seat cushions and having a storage box that clicks right in, then heck yeah I'm interested as I was planning on working with someone for some custom storage there anyways.

However, I might go for something like an open wire lockable cage storage that could double as a dog crate, then on top of the oh sh$t/harness bar to install a full width aluminum open box cargo carrier. It would likely clamp onto harness bar in front and rear cage in center rear. Almost like a bigger cargo bed.

Feel free to pm me if that's the direction you were thinking of going. If not, I'm open.

Cheers

s

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Late to the game, but what is:

X4 rear seat aluminum replacement expedition style box, full opening lid​

If you're talking about the quick unlatch of the bottom seat cushions and having a storage box that clicks right in, then heck yeah I'm interested as I was planning on working with someone for some custom storage there anyways.

However, I might go for something like an open wire lockable cage storage that could double as a dog crate, then on top of the oh sh$t/harness bar to install a full width aluminum open box cargo carrier. It would likely clamp onto harness bar in front and rear cage in center rear. Almost like a bigger cargo bed.

Feel free to pm me if that's the direction you were thinking of going. If not, I'm open.

Cheers

s
Sorry for the delayed response. I've been very busy at my day job besides trying to coordinate this side business stuff. It's definitely not as easy as people think! Retails sales is not too difficult but designing, developing, and sourcing for my own projects is a challenge!

This is what I was thinking for the rear seat expedition box. The seat would actually be unbolted and removed then this box would bolt into the same locations. I made it universal for each side rear seat but the lid would have to be opposite for each side. I’ve not worked on this any further beyond this mock-up. The other 3 under seat boxes have taken priority. Once I get the under seat boxes situated then I’ll probably get back on this expedition box.
97DCE2A8 13E7 4296 A10F 3AE55BCE6C5B

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
In my shop today and tomorrow. My dad and I are going to knock out a few aluminum boxes while I’m waiting on the fab shop shop. I’ve got to at least have boxes to show people at the takeover!! Got one X2 driver box tacked up today. Fab takes me a while doing it this way. But I also want to see how things go together. Once the shop has some laser cut pieces the boxes will go together really fast.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!