BOX1

Talon storage options poll

Which storage option listed below would you most like to see made avaible for purchase?

• X4 rear seat aluminum replacement expedition style box, full opening lid (XL capacity)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Talked to the fab shop today and they should have some laser cut aluminum box DIY kits coming out in 2-3 weeks. I have the hardware ready to go when they deliver to me. I've been updating my online store with pricing and info most of which is not visible yet. I'm excited yet don't know how well they will sell. But whatever happens I have enjoyed designing these boxes! All I can do is my best and see what happens. I'll be posting updates here. Thanks to all who have shown interest in my products.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Just a little side note here...
I am still considering offering downloadable cut patterns that can be printed large format at Office Depot for cheap. This weekend my dad and I built one of each box from these patterns. I’m attaching a pic of the X2 driver box tacked up to give you guys an idea of what is capable. I’m not an experienced metal worker but I cut all of these panels with a plasma hand torch and a straight edge after tracing the patterns onto an aluminum sheet. They fit well!
3E01806C E766 411D 8C7A B9EC84D24375

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Liberal kryptonite. truth and logic….
Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Just a little side note here...
I am still considering offering downloadable cut patterns that can be printed large format at Office Depot for cheap. This weekend my dad and I built one of each box from these patterns. I’m attaching a pic of the X2 driver box tacked up to give you guys an idea of what is capable. I’m not an experienced metal worker but I cut all of these panels with a plasma hand torch and a straight edge after tracing the patterns onto an aluminum sheet. They fit well!
View attachment 272084

Are you fitting the material together “corner to corner” >> green or “edge to flat” >> Red?

59E9D022 A313 4E80 BFF1 E7825AD35DB4

Reactions: Smitty335
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
In this picture the black represents weld filler metal, penetration and strength after grinding the corner for looks. (If the weld isn’t cute 😝)

It’s pretty self explanatory which method gives better results. (I unfortunately learned this the hard way with customers bringing broken, cracked and leaking tanks i built back for repairs)

4E876FB2 BA8B 445A 9418 37687857AA33

Again, zero criticism just a warning for long term reliability, ease of build and a chance to correct future issues before they happen.

I saw your note on the website about
“Laser cut components are so accurately cut to fit that TIG welding may not require filler wire, only fusion.”

This is a very weak way to attempt to attach 2 pieces of aluminum together.

Tig welding stainless with fusion is the only material that has even meager strength.

Fusion welds on aluminum cracks out quickly and easily.

Reactions: CID and Smitty335
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
It will be a red joint in your sketch because that’s the only way I can make the alignment tabs work. The alignment tabs make it too easy to assemble and tack. Literally it takes 5 mins to assemble and tack the smallest box. The 2 larger boxes won’t take much more than that either.

Reactions: Sheetmetalfab
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I don’t mind the input. I’m learning as I go! I know what I want to make and learning how to make it. One reason I wanted to build these 3 boxes this weekend was to see how difficult it is to make. It’s not which is great for the novice who wants to build something. My welds aren’t the best either. Probably what the average joe would do! But with practice I’ll improve. My dad has been welding all his life but never welded aluminum till a few days ago with me. He’ll pick it up faster than me.

If I have to weld these up then I want to make decent enough looking welds to NOT grind. Like the old Honda CR aluminum frames.

Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
It will be a red joint in your sketch because that’s the only way I can make the alignment tabs work. The alignment tabs make it too easy to assemble and tack. Literally it takes 5 mins to assemble and tack the smallest box. The 2 larger boxes won’t take much more than that either.

I’ve seen laser cut parts with small alignment tabs at each end (interlocking) and the majority of the weld is corner to corner for optimum penetration and weld “lay in”

Reactions: TxDoc
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
The boxes I fab'd last weekend have been powder coated, inside and out. They look great! I'll install the hatch lids on these demo boxes and take some good pics soon.

The shop is scheduled to laser cut a batch of boxes for me next week! I'll have to figure out how to package the DIY kits, get shipping estimates and get listed on the website for those DIY guys out there.

I have developed a fairly extensive spreadsheet to help compute the best prices I can offer on these turnkey boxes and DIY kits. Prices listed on my website will be adjusted accordingly once finished.

Getting close to vacation time at Royal Blue Takeover too! And I've still got personal things to get ready for that trip.

Last edited:
T

tntcustoms68

Mar 12, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Talon x4
The boxes I fab'd last weekend have been powder coated, inside and out. They look great! I'll install the hatch lids on these demo boxes and take some good pics soon.

The shop is scheduled to laser cut a batch of boxes for me next week! I'll have to figure out how to package the DIY kits, get shipping estimates and get listed on the website for those DIY guys out there.

I have developed a fairly extensive spreadsheet to help compute the best prices I can offer on these turnkey boxes and DIY kits. Prices listed on my website will be adjusted accordingly once finished.

Getting close to vacation time at Royal Blue Takeover too! And I've still got personal things to get ready for that trip.
Any idea when the DIY steel boxes will be available for the x4? And will these fit under all 4 seats? Thanks

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
I can usually get steel cut on short notice since the same shop always cuts steel. I’ve been focusing on the aluminum boxes because they have a longer lead time. The aluminum has attracted more interest than the steel and the weight difference is pretty substantial. The steel box is half the thickness and still weighs more than the aluminum box

The X4 only has usable space under the front seats. The rear seats have fuel tank and electronics under see them.

Currently I’m gathering up all the hardware components like the hatch lids, nuts and bolts, and cutting the neoprene gaskets in preparation for the shop having DIY kits ready. Still waiting on one tool to cut gasket bolt holes. But it’s getting close and I’m getting excited and nervous.

Notification of availability will be posted here.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
These boxes will be making the trip to pioneer takeover in 2 weeks.

EE4F5E0F BD19 4BBA 936B 3E01191FC994

I needed to have some tangible boxes for the vendor table at takeover for people to put their hands on. So last Saturday my dad and I cut out and welded these together while the fab shop is behind schedule. We did however miraculously hit the week they were powder coating! These boxes are all I will probably have for the takeover so they will be display boxes and I’ll take orders or direct you to the website for orders.

I’ll have some shifter plates at takeover for sure and fingers crossed some talon air filters!

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Digital download full size tracing patterns PDF for the Talon X2-d box are now live on my website as well as the hardware kit to finish the build.
Link: X2-d download plans

Link: X2-d Hardware kit

If you have any questions please send them to me. I'll be glad to answer and help in any way I can.

Full DIY kits including pre-cut panels are coming soon!

Talon X2 d  REV D 100 SHT 1 NTS SAMPLE

Last edited:
highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
If anyone else is interested in an X4-p passenger side DIY kit in 16ga steel, let me know. I'm having a kit cut soon for an order so if anyone else wants one then I can have a few cut at the same time. Send me a conversation if interested.

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
Picked up the first order of aluminum kits today, 3 of each box. Haven’t had time to package them. If I find the time to package the kits I’ll bring them to the takeover. Otherwise they will have to wait until I get back on June 11.

if anyone wants to order a kit now to reserve it for shipping later send me a conversation and I’ll put your name on one.

EABA64ED 160B 47B7 8C53 96C580924715

Reactions: tntcustoms68
Sheetmetalfab

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Member
Jul 21, 2019
Alaska
Ownership

1. Do not currently own

2. Talon x4
Picked up the first order of aluminum kits today, 3 of each box. Haven’t had time to package them. If I find the time to package the kits I’ll bring them to the takeover. Otherwise they will have to wait until I get back on June 11.

if anyone wants to order a kit now to reserve it for shipping later send me a conversation and I’ll put your name on one.

View attachment 275475

Driver and passenger x4 for me.

Take my money!!!!!

highpocket74

highpocket74

Vendor
Jul 2, 2019
Kinder, Louisiana
www.10-80dirtsports.com
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. Talon X
TalonX2-d and X4-d cargo box DIY kits ready to ship. These are taped up to check the laser cut aluminum components fit.
A51FC385 D610 4348 9FB7 52F247003C59

Also have a couple X4- p passenger seat cargo box DIY aluminum kits ready to ship.
24E37C4C 0970 4CBB 8A7B 2984903777AE

If you want a completed box ready to install I have one of each ready to ship. More will be coming soon.
Forum members send me a conversation for an extended pioneer takeover member discount throughout June.

Reactions: Montecresto
BOX2
box3

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!