TELEVISION VIEWING OPTIONS

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
DISCLAIMER NOTE:

1. You have to have 100MB sec + internet for the below to work.

2. This is gray market stuff, definitely not DMCA kosher. But it works perfectly.
This is what I'm talking about!!!
Unfortunately my internet speed ranges from 6-20 MBS.
I have the 'jailbreak' Firestick and on ATT Uverse at the very limit of distance availabe for Uverse. My mps is from 3-6 but the firestick still works. Yes, it takes longer to download a movie with the Cinema HD app and you may have to chose a lesser quality download BUT that is just part of living in a rural area.

Robobrainiac

Robobrainiac

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2020
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have 2 hisense roku tvs, 1 onn roku TV, and 1 TCL roku TV. We use Netflix, Hulu, and YouTube Red. That is all that's needed for tremendous hours of entertainment. It will save you hundreds a year versus cable and dish. You can also take it pretty much anywhere you want to go. Your phone screen mirrored to a roku box will let you watch on any TV with a HDMI plug, we usually do that at hotels if we want. Otherwise the laptop hotspotted to your phone will let you watch anywhere you camp. As long as you have cell service you can pretty much make it work.

F

Fyathyrio

Sep 24, 2019
Utah
Ownership

1. Talon R
This is what I'm talking about!!!
Unfortunately my internet speed ranges from 6-20 MBS.
One TV (along with 1phone & 1 laptop) will work fine with 20mbps, I've had that or less for two years. I guess I'm not seeing movies in 4K, but I'm getting smooth streaming without interruptions. You said you wanted simple to please wife, that version that says 100mbps required sounds anything but.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
One TV (along with 1phone & 1 laptop) will work fine with 20mbps, I've had that or less for two years. I guess I'm not seeing movies in 4K, but I'm getting smooth streaming without interruptions. You said you wanted simple to please wife, that version that says 100mbps required sounds anything but.
If there was anything faster out here I would have it.
We don't have cable or dsl or fiber out here.
I've tried Huges net
I've tried verizon
I've tried AT&T

and now I have AT&T Fixed Wireless. It isn't great but it's the best so far.

Reactions: Mudwing
L

LeeB

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
NM
Ownership

1. 500
Where our lake condo is there is only one cable provider; so we just got good wifi this year and did not miss regular TV. Streaming apps offer tv series and movies and just about anything you like; wildlife, how to, U-tube, etc. Worked for us very well.

T

thumper144

Dec 12, 2018
Pittsburgh
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Maybe this is a weird question but...
If you are not watching cable or satellite TV what are you watching?
My wife is about as tech savvy as a june bug. Seriously.
I'm paying nearly $200 a month for Dish Network and I want to move over to Netflix or Hulu, or Amazon Prime, or ???

What can I set her up with that she can easily navigate and I can come out cheaper?

She likes Dr Pol, Little House on the Prairie, The Waltons, and some nature shows.

FYI: I haven't watched TV since Christmas. I just don't have time. I'd watch an action movie once a year.
So I decided to completely cut the cord. Not really into tv at all. I ended up buying an antenna from a company called channelmaster. Made in USA. Channelmaster.com
On their website they have a place to type in where you live and it will tell you where all the local towers are and how far they’re located.
Most of them are under $60(if you have towers within 50 miles).
So I bought one for my house in Pittsburgh which is 7mi from the city. It cost me $20 with shipping included. (Have this one sitting in a window facing the towers). Gets 50 channels.
Bought another for a place in Florida which is not near any major cities. Paid $59. Gets 70 channels!!! This one is sitting in my closet(they tell you it can be mounted outside or inside).
The big thing if channels are in your range is to point it best you can in the direction of the towers and provide it with as unrestricted path way as possible. I’m sure trees and hills/mountains will affect signal quality.
Again, I’m not a tv person, but I wish I would’ve bought these many years ago!
Plus, I’m pretty sure they have a 30 guarantee. Don’t quote me on that!!

Reactions: Mudwing
T

thumper144

Dec 12, 2018
Pittsburgh
Ownership

1. 1000-3
So I decided to completely cut the cord. Not really into tv at all. I ended up buying an antenna from a company called channelmaster. Made in USA. Channelmaster.com
On their website they have a place to type in where you live and it will tell you where all the local towers are and how far they’re located.
Most of them are under $60(if you have towers within 50 miles).
So I bought one for my house in Pittsburgh which is 7mi from the city. It cost me $20 with shipping included. (Have this one sitting in a window facing the towers). Gets 50 channels.
Bought another for a place in Florida which is not near any major cities. Paid $59. Gets 70 channels!!! This one is sitting in my closet(they tell you it can be mounted outside or inside).
The big thing if channels are in your range is to point it best you can in the direction of the towers and provide it with as unrestricted path way as possible. I’m sure trees and hills/mountains will affect signal quality.
Again, I’m not a tv person, but I wish I would’ve bought these many years ago!
Plus, I’m pretty sure they have a 30 guarantee. Don’t quote me on that!!
Oh yeah, if you have trouble navigating the site or have any questions call them. Very nice people to talk to.

B

BrianM

Aug 14, 2020
Tulsa, OK
Ownership

1. Talon X4
If you've got decent internet you can get a lot of stuff for free with a Roku device or a samsung smart tv, or probably any other smart tv. If you want live TV I like YouTubeTV. I tried Hulu live TV but it sucked if you want to watch things in multiple places without having to involve your phone to do the work. Same with Sling Orange or Sling Blue. I have a farm out of town and want to watch TV there also. YouTube TV lets you. The others don't. They have the concept of a "home" location and you can only change it a couple of times per year. YouTube TV has a "home" location also but you only have to be there once every 90 days I think. I go back and forth to the farm almost weekly so that's like 2 location changes per week. I used to have DirectTV and used a standalone receiver for the camper at the farm for an extra $7 per month. However I decided I needed some surveillance cameras at the farm and that's when I got internet and switched to streaming TV for home and the farm. All in all for both places I pay right at $50/month for internet for each place plus $65 for TV. So not a bad deal for TV plus high speed internet. Also, I can now turn on my air conditioner before I get there so it isn't 150 degrees in the place.

M

MVH

Aug 29, 2018
MI
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had Direct TV for 25+ years and the price kept rising, then internet on top of that. Now we pay $55/month for internet T-Mobile hot spot, and $55/month for Youtube TV. We are rural so some buffering, but we paid more than that just for Direct-TV.

advertisement
M

Mnjr

Jun 15, 2017
Mammoth Spring, Arkansas
Ownership

1. 700-2
I'm paying nearly $200 a month for Dish Network and I want to move over to Netflix or Hulu, or Amazon Prime, or ???

What can I set her up with that she can easily navigate and I can come out cheaper?

She likes Dr Pol, Little House on the Prairie, The Waltons, and some nature shows.

FYI: I haven't watched TV since Christmas. I just don't have time. I'd watch an action movie once a year.
Depends on your internet service. I have been streaming. Threw Dish out 6 months ago. I also use an IPTV service which gives every cable channel available. Even all the paid services .It gives us all the locals, even all around the country. We pay $36 for 3 months. So cut the cord.

T Bone

T Bone

Mar 30, 2021
Raleigh, NC
Ownership

1. 500

FYI: I haven't watched TV since Christmas. I just don't have time. I'd watch an action movie once a year

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!