P500 Test drove a p500 today and have a few questions

Zaleski

Zaleski

Aug 28, 2019
Ohio
So, I came one step closer to buying a pioneer by taking one for a test drive today at a local dealership. It has aftermarket "system 3" 14 inch wheels with 27x9 & 27x11 maxxis vipr tires. My first impressions were, I was shocked at the peppiness of this little machine, even with the big tires on it, and the ride wasnt as bad as I was expecting. I also see the need for an unlocking rear diff. Anyways, my questions are
1) from what I understand, the pioneer isn't a dual clutch?
2) if I'm correct on question above, should you not shift in manual mode at full throttle? Or does it make any difference at all?
3) are these tires too big/heavy in your opinion for this machine? Love the looks, but worried about all that extra mass on the drivetrain.

Thanks to this forum, i know that what this dealer wants $$ is way above what many on this forum paid, so going to keep looking and doing my research until a great deal pops up. Thanks for the feedback in advance!

IMG 14431

RSMark5

RSMark5

May 10, 2019
NC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Hello!

It is not a dual clutch. Its essentially electric shift on a honda quad.

I hardly ever lift off to shift.

No, I'm running even larger and heavier tires and don't notice a thing.

NTCPrezJB

NTCPrezJB

President of #NTC
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 30, 2018
Canton, OH
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So, I came one step closer to buying a pioneer by taking one for a test drive today at a local dealership. It has aftermarket "system 3" 14 inch wheels with 27x9 & 27x11 maxxis vipr tires. My first impressions were, I was shocked at the peppiness of this little machine, even with the big tires on it, and the ride wasnt as bad as I was expecting. I also see the need for an unlocking rear diff. Anyways, my questions are
2) if I'm correct on question above, should you not shift in manual mode at full throttle? Or does it make any difference at all?
3) are these tires too big/heavy in your opinion for this machine? Love the looks, but worried about all that extra mass on the drivetrain.

Thanks to this forum, i know that what this dealer wants $$ is way above what many on this forum paid, so going to keep looking and doing my research until a great deal pops up. Thanks for the feedback in advance!

View attachment 155310
12" wheels with the advantage of the larger sidewall will give a better ride compared to 14" wheels with the same tire.
The P500 is not dual clutch. ... The electronics will cut the throttle for you during full acceleration shifts.
Plenty of guys run 27's on the P500. Stock setup - 1st gear is about useless so worse case you'd just use 1st more often. I'm still on my factory tires though so others could have a more informed opinion on this.

C

Chooglin

View attachment 155310
It should handle the 27" tires just fine but a 12" rim will give you a better ride as @JeremieBaker said.
Although you dont need to lift on the throttle to shift, I do because it seems to shift smoother for me.
The 500 is not a dct but it does have two separate clutch systems. There is a centrifugal clutch (wich allows the machine to idle while in gear) and a set of clutch packs that shift the transmission.
I hope you find the right machine for you, they are pretty awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mudwing and Zaleski
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
Dealers (and manufacturer's) throw on wheels and tires because they cost less than the bling factor bump in price.
It's like the sport edition of a Fit or Fiesta or a Rio.
Looks cool but it's the same dog as the base model behind the bling.

I purchased an ATV from Honda East Toledo in the past.
They usally have decent prices for the area.
I'm sure others will chime in with there secret low bucks dealer (factor in the drive time, gas money and haggling time with out of state plates).

Reactions: Zaleski
Badblubug

Badblubug

Oct 28, 2017
North woods
Ownership

1. 500
That’s a nice looking 500... I just recently put on 26” tires on the stock wheels and the ride is better than stock for sure, if adding accessories I say stick with Honda parts, I run the Bimini top and 1/2 windshield in the summer to cut down on dust, no back panel and Honda tilt full windshield top back panel and doors in the winter for plowing, this little mule plows well and those accessories work well for me

A local dealer near here has a left over 2018 for $6999 no freight or setup fees ( for reference purposes) but it’s in Wisconsin, I purchased my 500 in the yoop Michigan i live in Wisconsin, paid the dealer the price for the 500 and took my papers to the DNR in Wisconsin and paid Wisconsin tax and registration, I paid no tax or fees to Michigan, that’s how out of state purchases work here, purchased in Michigan because I’m just south of the Michigan Wisconsin border

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I run same size tires, no problem. The computer automatically retards the engine during shifts. You can’t hurt it. As said by many, aftermarket Power Steering and a TorqMaster front locker makes it even better.

Zaleski

Zaleski

Aug 28, 2019
Ohio
Thanks for all the feedback guys, sounds like stock 12" wheels are the way to go then, and good to know on the shifting at full throttle!

Front diff lock and power steering will be on my want list, but probably after winch, tires, & plow.

Thats the 2nd time ive heard someone recommend Toledo Honda, ive also heard lexington ky has a dealer that will cut a really good deal

Id be willing to drive to a neighboring state if I was saving $500 or more. This local one I test drove was sharp, and im sold on the white color, but it looked like it'd been stored outside which is a redflag for me, it had bad rust on the inside of the frame tubes on the rear. I wont be afraid to use my machine, but im not gonna leave it out in the weather either

futzin

futzin

Lifetime Member
Sep 10, 2019
Kentucky
Ownership

1. 500

2. 520
Lex dealer has a '19 in camo now; inside, 2nd floor. But Lord, the number of Razors they have!

Reactions: Zaleski
advertisement
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for all the feedback guys, sounds like stock 12" wheels are the way to go then, and good to know on the shifting at full throttle!

Front diff lock and power steering will be on my want list, but probably after winch, tires, & plow.

Thats the 2nd time ive heard someone recommend Toledo Honda, ive also heard lexington ky has a dealer that will cut a really good deal

Id be willing to drive to a neighboring state if I was saving $500 or more. This local one I test drove was sharp, and im sold on the white color, but it looked like it'd been stored outside which is a redflag for me, it had bad rust on the inside of the frame tubes on the rear. I wont be afraid to use my machine, but im not gonna leave it out in the weather either
No more questions, just buy it and be thrilled!;)

L2R

L2R

Understanding women Vol. 1
Lifetime Member
Feb 16, 2019
East of the Appalachians
Ownership

1. 700-4
"The mind is made up already, my plan right now is to wait until spring to get one, since all the trails I’d be riding close until April. Unless I get a really good deal, so we’ll see if it happens sooner or not lol"

This makes good sense as you can't use it while the clock ticks on the warranty.
You might get a great deal on a brand new but year older model if you wait well into the Winter.

But you need to understand something. This is NOT how we do things here- buddy!
I have serious doubts regarding this train of thought. Why, it might even start a trend!!!

I cannot conceive the notion of using rational, intelligent thought or using sound financial metrics when considering a PIONEER. I don't think that has EVER been done before.

You should be purchasing it now and start fretting about:
-how to keep the heat in the cab
-spend more money on a snow shovel blade
-install a winch while you're at it when your fingers are frozen
-spend sleepless nights figuring out how to make DIY side doors to make it even warmer
-spend more money on led lights that cast a beam above that blade you installed rather than have the stock lights blind you on the reflection from the blade. (just kidding, they aren't that good)
-stop talking to family and friends while you spend weeks looking for tires that grip better in the snow and ice.

All kidding aside, most of us here think these are the best. Making them unique can become somewhat addictive so buyer beware. Hope you find just what you want, when you want it.

Zaleski

Zaleski

Aug 28, 2019
Ohio
"The mind is made up already, my plan right now is to wait until spring to get one, since all the trails I’d be riding close until April. Unless I get a really good deal, so we’ll see if it happens sooner or not lol"

This makes good sense as you can't use it while the clock ticks on the warranty.
You might get a great deal on a brand new but year older model if you wait well into the Winter.

But you need to understand something. This is NOT how we do things here- buddy!
I have serious doubts regarding this train of thought. Why, it might even start a trend!!!

I cannot conceive the notion of using rational, intelligent thought or using sound financial metrics when considering a PIONEER. I don't think that has EVER been done before.

You should be purchasing it now and start fretting about:
-how to keep the heat in the cab
-spend more money on a snow shovel blade
-install a winch while you're at it when your fingers are frozen
-spend sleepless nights figuring out how to make DIY side doors to make it even warmer
-spend more money on led lights that cast a beam above that blade you installed rather than have the stock lights blind you on the reflection from the blade. (just kidding, they aren't that good)
-stop talking to family and friends while you spend weeks looking for tires that grip better in the snow and ice.

All kidding aside, most of us here think these are the best. Making them unique can become somewhat addictive so buyer beware. Hope you find just what you want, when you want it.

Lol, that's pretty dang funny. I just like to do a lot of research and planning on something before i pull the trigger. But i know how addicting a fun recreational hobby can become, and modding things till it's just right.Just ask my wife about my kayak that I have about 4 grand in... funny part is, I havn't even bought one yet, and I got 3 buddies half-way talked into buying a sxs too!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!