P1000 The "Neutral Switch"

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Update! Well I hooked up the contactor (neutral switch) wiring, put the bilge blower back in, threw the seat in there without bothering with the plastic rivets, and ventured out to test things in cold. IT ALL WORKS FINE!!! :p

Now I don't know for sure if the neutral sensor switch was actually intermittent - bad, or if its mini "spark plug" style connector was loose from the factory - (I suspect the latter), but it all works properly now. Thanks for the helpful comments and posts.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
If there's a take home in all this, it's that if you get a 50 - 2 code (5 long 2 short) and the machine won't upshift out of 1st gear (limp home mode), first thing to check is remove the seat, and back behind the pax side, check to be sure the rubber booted connector is pushed onto the neutral switch all the way. I'da save a fair amount of work and hassle if I'd have known this going in. The switch is installed under a little heat shield bolted to the engine and adjacent to the header pipes. It screws in upward at about a 60 degree angle.

Hillbillytnt

Hillbillytnt

May 2, 2020
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Update! Well I hooked up the contactor (neutral switch) wiring, put the bilge blower back in, threw the seat in there without bothering with the plastic rivets, and ventured out to test things in cold. IT ALL WORKS FINE!!! :p

Now I don't know for sure if the neutral sensor switch was actually intermittent - bad, or if its mini "spark plug" style connector was loose from the factory - (I suspect the latter), but it all works properly now. Thanks for the helpful comments and posts.

Ya the spark plug style connector was my problem. With the help of this community I was able to find and diagnose the problem fairly quickly but I did have to go through a few trail side fixes before getting it rt.

bumperm

bumperm

May 7, 2021
Gardnerville, NV
Ownership

1. 1000-5
After mindful consideration, I've determined that having the Honda "down" and out of service, really bums me out! I feel much better with it available.

All the electronics these days makes it a bit too complicated - "we can just add this to do that", so they do. I have a 2010 FJ Cruiser with manual tranny, and a buddy has a 2018 Jeep. The electronics in that Jeep just suck, while my FJ has never so much as whimpered a problem.

Reactions: Lady01 and CID
thashane

thashane

Lifetime Member
Oct 19, 2020
norCa
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
After mindful consideration, I've determined that having the Honda "down" and out of service, really bums me out! I feel much better with it available.

All the electronics these days makes it a bit too complicated - "we can just add this to do that", so they do. I have a 2010 FJ Cruiser with manual tranny, and a buddy has a 2018 Jeep. The electronics in that Jeep just suck, while my FJ has never so much as whimpered a problem.
I feel ya! im having fan issues and bummed it isnt standard reliability that i was used to.

• Sad
Reactions: Lady01 and CID

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!