WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
2018 1000-5. I have dual battery set up with the true isolator. So my issue is the lights on my rocker switches stay on after I flip my on/off/on rocker switch to the off position. The lights won't be full brightness though. Very dim. Can only really notice it when it's dark. It started this Friday while riding in WV. Also did this Saturday. I didn't notice until Friday night when it was dark. We did have the aux switch on pretty much all day both days to have the radio on. I just went and checked it about an hour ago and the lights were not on. I wonder if it's something to do with having the aux switch on all day? Maybe the solenoid is not opening up all the way when I flip the aux switch off? I'm leaving the 100 amp breaker open so it doesn't run my battery dead. Any ideas what could be going on? Thanks
20230323 170114
20230323 170108
20230323 165430

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Check the ground for your switches, and the connectors of the switches so there not touching anything. After that all checks good and still does it, check the voltage reading at the spade on the switch for the illumination when there dim and follow it back to its power source. You may have 1 bad switch thats internal relay is bad and not disengaging, that will be hard to find the one doimg this.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Check the ground for your switches, and the connectors of the switches so there not touching anything. After that all checks good and still does it, check the voltage reading at the spade on the switch for the illumination when there dim and follow it back to its power source. You may have 1 bad switch thats internal relay is bad and not disengaging, that will be hard to find the one doimg this.
I'll check the grounds. Have you seen a switch go bad like you're saying? They are OTRATTW switches. And the aux switch came from the club store. I thought they were pretty much bullet proof but I know anything can happen

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yes I have. I have OTR’s as well. There pretty robust but i had one go bad. Mine was the LED itself in the switch

Reactions: NewHere2
WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes I have. I have OTR’s as well. There pretty robust but i had one go bad. Mine was the LED itself in the switch
I think it ended up being the solenoid. It acted up today. My aux switches wouldn't come on. Tapped the solenoid one time with the handle of a screwdriver and they came on. Did this about 5 times in a row.

My guess is with the original problem the solenoid didn't completely open and the switch lights were barely still on.

This is the second one I've had of this brand. Went through 3 stinger brand. I'm gonna go with the cole hersee everyone is using. Only bad part about that is I have to move the winch solenoid to make room for the cole hersee. Gotta get some longer wires to do all that.

StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi.
I installed a standard 40A automotive relay rather than a Stinger or Cole Hersee.
Is the higher amp rating the reason for using a Stinger or Cole Hersee?
Curious,
StewB

(Why is it awkward to be curious in 2023?)

DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
the stinger or ch are just popular - u can get automotive starter contactors in higher amp ratings if needed as well

these are just basic starter contactors/solenoids at the end of the day installed as automatic cut off switches

if 40a is all u need - good to go

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi.
I installed a standard 40A automotive relay rather than a Stinger or Cole Hersee.
Is the higher amp rating the reason for using a Stinger or Cole Hersee?
Curious,
StewB

(Why is it awkward to be curious in 2023?)
the stinger or ch are just popular - u can get automotive starter contactors in higher amp ratings if needed as well

these are just basic starter contactors/solenoids at the end of the day installed as automatic cut off switches

if 40a is all u need - good to go
Don't they need to be continuous duty?

Reactions: Scoop
DRZRon1

DRZRon1

May 11, 2019
PA
Ownership

1. Talon X
yes - you are correct - most these days are continuous duty so I mis-wrote above

I've switched my garden tractor and stuff to the automotive style continuous type relays, for me, it seemed the standard contactor would get corroded from water inside from hosing it down, not well sealed, etc.

Reactions: WagginTail
StewB

StewB

Jan 2, 2021
Utah
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks, I appreciate this.
My winch draws straight from the battery, but my other accessories are behind a 30A/40A automotive relay KOP and a 30A marine circuit breaker like this from the OP.

Haven't tripped it yet. I don't have a big light bar or an amp, so I think my set up is fine.

Reactions: WagginTail
Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
yes - you are correct - most these days are continuous duty so I mis-wrote above

I've switched my garden tractor and stuff to the automotive style continuous type relays, for me, it seemed the standard contactor would get corroded from water inside from hosing it down, not well sealed, etc.
The CH is marine rated. El agua no es un problema.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!