P500 thinking of loading P500 into truck bed..problems?

U

utahyank

Apr 9, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
I am getting my first OHV, a Honda Pioneer 500 of course...and plan to load and unload it from the back of my 8 foot bed on a Dodge 2500....that way I can pull a travel trailer as well....other than having a long ramp, and securing it during load/unload, is there anything I don't know about the risks? Should I load it into the truck with the front end first, or back it up the ramp? thanks..

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The main thing is you have an 8’ bed. Enjoy your p5.

HUCK

HUCK

Lifetime Member
Jun 21, 2016
ARIZONA
Ownership

1. 500

2. Talon X
This should answer your questions and mine is a short bed .

IMG 7805

U

utahyank

Apr 9, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
Front is fine, watch out for the back glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
yeah, I thought about that.....plan to make a stop for the front wheels that is fastened to the bed.....does anyone know on the 2500 dodge if the 50" pioneer will fit between the wheel wells, or will I have to crawl over them? I don't have the truck or Honda here with me in Az, so I can't measure them....then I am not sure about securing it in the truck bed for travel....any suggestions there would be welcome.....

J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
yeah, I thought about that.....plan to make a stop for the front wheels that is fastened to the bed.....does anyone know on the 2500 dodge if the 50" pioneer will fit between the wheel wells, or will I have to crawl over them? I don't have the truck or Honda here with me in Az, so I can't measure them....then I am not sure about securing it in the truck bed for travel....any suggestions there would be welcome.....

Bed with should be 60” or so, stock p5 is 50” wide. Should fit between Wheel wells if stock.

I ratchet strap from lower a arms to tie down at all 4 corners of the bed.

Reactions: Remington
U

utahyank

Apr 9, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
Bed with should be 60” or so, stock p5 is 50” wide. Should fit between Wheel wells if stock.

I ratchet strap from lower a arms to tie down at all 4 corners of the bed.

do you have tie-downs at the bed corners installed by the truck factory? if you have added them, what did you do?

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
I don't wanna...fit between
wheel wells....58"WIDE....
"15" GMC...LongBox.
if one would research threads..
they would find..alot of info...&
Pics...
20160414 191131
20160214 130923

20160729 094249

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
You will have zero problems loading a P5 into your full size 8 ft box. I load my '17 P5 into the GMC 2500 6.5 ft box. I have 1 inch wheel spacers front and back and 26" ITP midlite tires making the thing just a tad over 52" wide. No prob fitting between the wheel wells. PS I have a plastic box liner which reduces the space I have between the wells. There have been a lot of threads on loading the machine in trucks. Do a search. Also... I wouldn't load it backwards into the truck. I've tried both ways. Frontways is the best choice. My winch is the furthest thing forward on the P5 and its lower that the rear truck window so zero risk of smacking out the truck window.
Al

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
U

utahyank

Apr 9, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
You edged me out, mine is the 5’7, I wish I had the 6’4.
thanks for the responses....I will look for threads on loading into a truck....I did look a bit for something like that, but didn't see one....my wife always says I can't find anything in front of me....sigh......

rocmar

rocmar

Where Eagles & Angels....Dare to Fly...
Lifetime Member
Dec 21, 2014
4 CORNERS
Ownership

1. 500
thanks for the responses....I will look for threads on loading into a truck....I did look a bit for something like that, but didn't see one....my wife always says I can't find anything in front of me....sigh......
In search box...I wrote
"Loading a p5 in a truck"
Got 34 .......replies

Reactions: Caper
H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
IMG 0687
I am getting my first OHV, a Honda Pioneer 500 of course...and plan to load and unload it from the back of my 8 foot bed on a Dodge 2500....that way I can pull a travel trailer as well....other than having a long ramp, and securing it during load/unload, is there anything I don't know about the risks? Should I load it into the truck with the front end first, or back it up the ramp? thanks..

JCart

JCart

Lifetime Member
Jul 14, 2014
Kamloops, BC Canada.
Ownership

1. 500
What I did is purchased a sheet of pressure treated 3/4” thick plywood and a 4”x4” by 4ft long square wood post pressure treated too. My truck is an 8’ box but I have a 24” combo custom tool box/fuel cell, so I need my tailgate down. Have an old beater tailgate I have just for this. So slide plywood into box and figure a set back and screw (with 3” screws bottom side up) the 4x4 by 4ft post across the front of the plywood to prevent mashing window or front of box (in my case the tool box/fuel cell). To reduce stain on the tailgate, I bolted angle iron along each side of the plywood for about 4’, rear edge of t gate forward, this spreads weight out,

I also made tailgate support straps from 2” wide steel flats stock. This provides additional support for the cable tailgate lines. Just measured from tailgate pin latch (tailgate open) to the closing pin in box. Be precise with your measurement. Next drilled hole in each end of flat stock, (using above measurement) then unbolted latch pins in the box and bolt the flat strap to the box, using these holes. Next with two nuts I bolted the closing pins to the other end of the flat stock. The bottom end of the flatbar now has the box pins which can now be locked into the tailgate latch (on the gate).

I tie my P5 in by hooking ratchet strap over front wheel and on to upper a arm, in effect tie-ing down front wheels. On the rear same, run a ratchet strap from on frame over top of rear side of tire, to tie downs I’ve bolted into the box. By tying down wheels this allows the suspension to move while towning. By tie-ing down most any other fashion will always come loose on rough road and/or tear out the box tie downs or damage machine.

j

U

utahyank

Apr 9, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
thanks....I think I will adopt the plywood base idea....good feedback....again, thanks...

J

jmcampbell54

Feb 3, 2018
Texas
Have the 3 size set of DG tailgate supports for extra piece of mine, 8ft box with tool box, shorter ones keep tailgate at angle when it won’t close fully. Long ones add support to cables when loading.
Buy Tailgates Accessories Pennsylvania - DG Manufacturing

DG is a good company. I spoke with the owner since they do not list for 2016-18 Nissan Titan XD.
Got him the measurements and he custom made a set for me at standard pricing. 1 week to me for the custom job.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!