P500 thinking of loading P500 into truck bed..problems?

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
If you back it in you can get it in a bit further. This was how I hauled my P5 to Tennessee for the Takeover. Had the P1k5 in the toyhauler. Made the trip fine beside the fuel problems I had with the truck...lol

ECB49D7F 50B3 41D6 9F39 236FAFCDBE04

NPN

NPN

Mar 30, 2017
Manitoba
Ownership

1. 500
I am getting my first OHV, a Honda Pioneer 500 of course...and plan to load and unload it from the back of my 8 foot bed on a Dodge 2500....that way I can pull a travel trailer as well....other than having a long ramp, and securing it during load/unload, is there anything I don't know about the risks? Should I load it into the truck with the front end first, or back it up the ramp? thanks..

Carry mine in a 2015 Nissan Frontier 6’3” box. I was concerned about bad roads and tailgating weight so built this to bear weight on the hitch and box. Prefer trailering it...better fuel economy.

CAF2F5C1 F740 48C0 A72C C5B789AEAE17

Reactions: Gassygordo
U

utahyank

Apr 9, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
If you back it in you can get it in a bit further. This was how I hauled my P5 to Tennessee for the Takeover. Had the P1k5 in the toyhauler. Made the trip fine beside the fuel problems I had with the truck...lol

View attachment 73395
hi jay..........I'm glad to see the picture of you with the loaded unit and hooked to the trailer....that's what I have hoped to do....what is the length of your truck bed? does the tailgate close?

Last edited:
O

Oregonkirk

Dec 24, 2017
John Day, Oregon
Ownership

1. 500
This is what I did. I had a "half" tailgate built so I can still pull my travel trailer and not worry about damaging my factory tailgate. Loading backward works the best for me since my rear tires are against the front of the bed.

2017 12 26 151856
2017 12 26 151856

jay_man81

jay_man81

Lifetime Member
Oct 30, 2016
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
hi jay..........I'm glad to see the picture of you with the loaded unit and hooked to the trailer....that's what I have hoped to do....what is the length of your truck bed? does the tailgate close?
My truck has and 8’ bed and just lacks about half an inch from closing with 27” tires on my P5. I probably could force it closed but my tailget is about rusted through so I just take it off...lol

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I am getting my first OHV, a Honda Pioneer 500 of course...and plan to load and unload it from the back of my 8 foot bed on a Dodge 2500....that way I can pull a travel trailer as well....other than having a long ramp, and securing it during load/unload, is there anything I don't know about the risks? Should I load it into the truck with the front end first, or back it up the ramp? thanks..
I prefer backing mine in. The tires stick past anything and make contact with the bed first. Never a worry about damaging the bed box or the glass.

U

utahyank

Apr 9, 2018
Ownership

1. 500
My truck has and 8’ bed and just lacks about half an inch from closing with 27” tires on my P5. I probably could force it closed but my tailget is about rusted through so I just take it off...lol
I am wintering in Arizona, but will be back in Utah for the summer on 5/3..........the Utah dealer told me the new P5 is in and being prepped for me....I am anxious to see if I can get the tailgate closed on my 2006 Ram 2500.....I know I can't have the tailgate down, and still tow my travel trailer, because I will damage it sure.....hope it latches closed, but if not I will work out something.....thanks to all....there certainly are some clever guys posting here...

Reactions: PJ1 and jay_man81
H

Heloron

Mar 5, 2017
Oroville, California
Ownership

1. 500
IMG 0856
IMG 0739
I am wintering in Arizona, but will be back in Utah for the summer on 5/3..........the Utah dealer told me the new P5 is in and being prepped for me....I am anxious to see if I can get the tailgate closed on my 2006 Ram 2500.....I know I can't have the tailgate down, and still tow my travel trailer, because I will damage it sure.....hope it latches closed, but if not I will work out something.....thanks to all....there certainly are some clever guys posting here...
I have a P500 and a Foreman on tracks, both about the same length. I can load either one in the back of my 8' foot bed while towing my toyhauler. In addition you might note I also have 35 gallon gas tank sitting in the front part of my pickup bed. I hate hauling around 5 gallon gas cans. I redesigned a 5th wheel tailgate to make it work.

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Have the 3 size set of DG tailgate supports for extra piece of mine, 8ft box with tool box, shorter ones keep tailgate at angle when it won’t close fully. Long ones add support to cables when loading.
Buy Tailgates Accessories Pennsylvania - DG Manufacturing
Hmmm I bought those DG supports for my 2013 Duramax with a short box. The P5 fits on nicely with the tailgate all the way down. The tailgate cables are handling the weight of the P5 just fine. The DG supports are almost loose; they sure aren't taking any weight. They are there in the event I get a cable stretch... peace of mind.
Al

Durangotang

Durangotang

Feb 24, 2018
Just outside Durango, CO
This is what I did. I had a "half" tailgate built so I can still pull my travel trailer and not worry about damaging my factory tailgate. Loading backward works the best for me since my rear tires are against the front of the bed.

View attachment 73615 View attachment 73615
I'm attempting to do the same thing - carry the P500 in the bed with a trailer attached. My first attempt was to pull off the tailgate and fabricate some carrier "ramps" that bolt into the bed using the original bed bolts. The ramps extend about 19" past the bed to allow loading of my P500. It works but is time consuming to remove the OEM bolts place the ramps in the bed and reinstall the bolts.

Your idea seems much better. I assume the your half tailgate attaches into the OEM pivot bracket (hinge) where the tailgate normally attaches. Any suggestions when fabricating one of theses half tailgates?

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Newfiebullet

Newfiebullet

Apr 13, 2016
Labrador, Canada
7c3023b1ec1cffeac45a38d51f40294600d28de699a2e3df75f17a7683a26042
Pics from couple years ago... 5’7” box.
Don’t have this truck anymore but I often carried my bike in it. Used couple straps from tailgate up to truck to help cables...
new truck has longer box so no trouble at all now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Hard to see here, but the 8’ bed worked perfectly. Couldn’t shut the tailgate but with some adjustments should be good. I’ll try the backing in as well. Thanks for @trigger for selling me his ramps. They will work nicely. Should be able to trailer me P1K5 with the P5 in the bed if I choose to do so.
93C4148D E642 4449 9841 7B9FC44B532E

AlR

AlR

Nov 14, 2016
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Ownership

1. 500
Hard to see here, but the 8’ bed worked perfectly. Couldn’t shut the tailgate but with some adjustments should be good. I’ll try the backing in as well. Thanks for @trigger for selling me his ramps. They will work nicely. Should be able to trailer me P1K5 with the P5 in the bed if I choose to do so. View attachment 79086

I'm really not a fan of backing in. Backing in to the truck box is the most problematic given that you're gonna bump into the back of the cab, you can't really see your ramps as you drive up... there's nothing good about it. Backing in doesn't give you the best ability to gingerly finish that last few inches of travel. Driving straight in allows you to slowly park the rig exactly where you need it. Also... the rig was meant to drive forward into the wind. I find backing out is easy. You do the first few feet then the machine coasts down the ramps. I have weighed the truck with the P5 in both ways. Only about a 40 lbs difference... negligible.

Last edited:
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Front end first, especially if you have a windshield. I guy I know takes his on his Chev. He said a little top heavy but a 2500 you should be good. And congratulations on your new bike. My neighbor in Cape Breton has a travel trailer toy hauler for his son, who races dirt bikes. Nice trailer. But he has a few bucks, haha. Good luck, and have a great summer with your new baby.
Caper

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!