P500 thinking of loading P500 into truck bed..problems?

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Hard to see here, but the 8’ bed worked perfectly. Couldn’t shut the tailgate but with some adjustments should be good. I’ll try the backing in as well. Thanks for @trigger for selling me his ramps. They will work nicely. Should be able to trailer me P1K5 with the P5 in the bed if I choose to do so. View attachment 79086

Is that bed really 8'? I have been shopping hard this last week to get an 8' bed and having little luck.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Is that bed really 8'? I have been shopping hard this last week to get an 8' bed and having little luck.
Yup sure is! Had to dealer trade to get it or could have ordered it but is worth it. I’ve had only one 6’ bed and will never do that again, at least not in a 3/4 or 1 ton Turk. Biggest waist especially the 5’ers in 1/2 tons IMO. I also pull a 5th wheel . They say u can pull with a 6’ but it really sucks, Bucks the chit out of you and harder on the drivetrain. Anyway, the 8’ bed has saved my ass countless times in capacity . Ask @trigger how well it rode with that buggie in the back?

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Yeah, you couldn't even tell it was back there. Squatted my 1/2 ton pretty good though.
Yeah, I met a guy at the gas station on the highway getting gas , he had an older Chev 2 door , 8 foot box, but there was stuff in front of the bike too, but the old truck was sagging pretty good. He needed a set of shocks. Haha . Nice guy . He had a Pioneer on back. Haha
Caper

Reactions: Remington
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Yup sure is! Had to dealer trade to get it or could have ordered it but is worth it. I’ve had only one 6’ bed and will never do that again, at least not in a 3/4 or 1 ton Turk. Biggest waist especially the 5’ers in 1/2 tons IMO. I also pull a 5th wheel . They say u can pull with a 6’ but it really sucks, Bucks the chit out of you and harder on the drivetrain. Anyway, the 8’ bed has saved my ass countless times in capacity . Ask @trigger how well it rode with that buggie in the back?
Hi Remington. My Tundra is 6 1/2 feet. Haha. My neighbor in Cape Breton has a Duramax and a fifth wheel toy hauler. Nice. My pioneer would fit nice. Haha. His son races dirt bikes. Racing with a Honda.
Have a great summer. And if I get by Oak Island I’ll tell you what’s happening, haha.
Caper

Reactions: Remington
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yes old bags.....I mean air bags work well. Great for stabilizing the load. I even put them in my F350 just to help that.

Reactions: trigger
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
Yes old bags.....I mean air bags work well. Great for stabilizing the load. I even put them in my F350 just to help that.
Haha. If I see him again I’ll tell him. I had air bags on my ‘64 Chevelle, she just took off of the start. Hard to catch up to 100 mph. She came from NC. I wish I still had her.
Caper

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
I have been lookin for a light weight single cab (or maybe extra cab) 1/2 ton long bed 4x4 so I can put the T-case in Neutral and tow it behind the motorhome with the P5 in the bed. For some reason I was thinking the 8' would let me close the tailgate but from the looks of things that's not going to work out. My superduty with a 6.5 bed actually rides better with the P5 in the bed, but it is 7000 lbs empty so I don't want to pull it around.

Reactions: Caper
Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
I have been lookin for a light weight single cab (or maybe extra cab) 1/2 ton long bed 4x4 so I can put the T-case in Neutral and tow it behind the motorhome with the P5 in the bed. For some reason I was thinking the 8' would let me close the tailgate but from the looks of things that's not going to work out. My superduty with a 6.5 bed actually rides better with the P5 in the bed, but it is 7000 lbs empty so I don't want to pull it around.
Hi pFive. I know your guys gas is cheaper but to pull a Superduty with a motorhome, with a bike in the back. You could probably still watch the needle go down every hill. Haha I’ve towed a trailer with a bike in the truck and in the trailer and that was fun enough. Haha. My Tundra is a 6.5 box. But I’ve never put it in the truck, I have a 5x10 trailer with a 3500lb axle. Get a nice enclosed trailer and tow that. But then no one could see your bike. Haha. Good luck.
Caper

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
Hi pFive. I know your guys gas is cheaper but to pull a Superduty with a motorhome, with a bike in the back. You could probably still watch the needle go down every hill. Haha I’ve towed a trailer with a bike in the truck and in the trailer and that was fun enough. Haha. My Tundra is a 6.5 box. But I’ve never put it in the truck, I have a 5x10 trailer with a 3500lb axle. Get a nice enclosed trailer and tow that. But then no one could see your bike. Haha. Good luck.
Caper
I definitely don't want to pull a 7.3 superduty as a "Toad"...even with my Freightliner chassis. A 5000lb truck however would only make a marginal impact empty, with the 1100lb P5 loaded it would have more impact for sure, but worth it.. We used to tow a 3300lb car on a 700 lb tow dolly, you would forget it was back there.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
I definitely don't want to pull a 7.3 superduty as a "Toad"...even with my Freightliner chassis. A 5000lb truck however would only make a marginal impact empty, with the 1100lb P5 loaded it would have more impact for sure, but worth it.. We used to tow a 3300lb car on a 700 lb tow dolly, you would forget it was back there.
A Freightliner chassis. Nice. So your driving a bus, essentially, nice accommodation. There is a lot of huge Motorhomes from the US that travel to Cape Breton every year and some are hauling huge car trailers. A lot of money in some. So I guess yours would handle it ok. Haha. You’d love Cape Breton. Beautiful scenery and trails that go around most of the island. Not the national park. If I see a huge moterhome hauling a half ton with a Pioneer on the back, I’ll ask if it’s you. Haha. Happy trails.
Caper

pFive

pFive

May 3, 2016
Greenwood IN
Ownership

1. 500
A Freightliner chassis. Nice. So your driving a bus, essentially, nice accommodation. There is a lot of huge Motorhomes from the US that travel to Cape Breton every year and some are hauling huge car trailers. A lot of money in some. So I guess yours would handle it ok. Haha. You’d love Cape Breton. Beautiful scenery and trails that go around most of the island. Not the national park. If I see a huge moterhome hauling a half ton with a Pioneer on the back, I’ll ask if it’s you. Haha. Happy trails.
Caper
I am kinda different I guess, I prefer some of the older non-slide higher end / mid-range diesel rigs over the newer stuff they have figured out how to build "Cheaper". One day I would like to make that trip, but it will be at least 7 years before we have the time for such a big journey. I think I remember "Dirt Trax TV" doing an episode up there last season, looked amazing.

Caper

Caper

May 3, 2017
Halifax Nova Scotia
Ownership

1. 500
I am kinda different I guess, I prefer some of the older non-slide higher end / mid-range diesel rigs over the newer stuff they have figured out how to build "Cheaper". One day I would like to make that trip, but it will be at least 7 years before we have the time for such a big journey. I think I remember "Dirt Trax TV" doing an episode up there last season, looked amazing.
The saying for Cape Breton is ‘ Your heart will never leave’ and mine is always there. Give me a shout in seven years or whenever I’ll show you a few trails.
Caper

Reactions: pFive
D

Deleted member 3748

We got the tailgate to close but it's with the stock 24" tires and we removed the front bumper, which wasn't a big deal, even with the extra winch mount bolts. A high clearance bumper would be a good add-on for these.

20180804 181600

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!