P1000 Thinking of selling and going Polaris

J

JTW

This is the Donkey I was referring too, I can't believe anyone would ever need anything else, it's the greatest SxS ever created..... @JTW Have you considered a Donkey.....LOL
View attachment 241356
Haha, @JTW had one of those.
I heard he went too fast and his hair caught on fire.
(Too soon?)
It’s true.. that’s what I started with. And much of why, is due to the suggestions here. It was the wrong suggestion for me.

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
To the OP @Jakey sorry if your thread is getting derailed....it happens. As far as your SxS choice, pick whatever you want but since you asked for our opinion, I think the majority on the site would agree that Polaris has some cool features but the one they fail to advertise is that they are absolute SH#T!!! I'd buy a Chevy before I got another Poo....I've had a few and they were all garbage and the Polaris's I've owned were even worse.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Well I think context of when they burned up will help, I don’t think it was from just driving around, believe deep mud was involved but I could be wrong.

Mud you say? Not a puddle in sight...... Hqdefault
Burning polaris rzr
Hqdefault
Trevor2
1584575 110116 kabc 4pm oc otv suit vid
Images
Screen Shot 2019 06 09 at 122514 AM
Screen Shot 2019 06 09 at 122812 AM
05polaris1b copy superJumbo v3

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Lol i always laugh at this video. Cracks me up. I feel bad for jakey this whole thread has really gone down the s***ter.
At least most are in agreement on Polaris being questionable. It’s derailed yes but there’s that.

Glank

Glank

Jul 20, 2020
Ownership

1. 1000-5
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
There were plenty of pure sport machines when we were all drawn to the sport/utility aspect of the Pioneer. Have to sacrifice some features for the ability to do more than just trail ride. The General was engineered to steal that market, nice design but still a popo. Now Yamaha is going after it with the Rmax 1000. That's the baddest machine on the planet right now IMO and I really need to stop watching those videos.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
There were plenty of pure sport machines when we were all drawn to the sport/utility aspect of the Pioneer. Have to sacrifice some features for the ability to do more than just trail ride. The General was engineered to steal that market, nice design but still a popo. Now Yamaha is going after it with the Rmax 1000. That's the baddest machine on the planet right now IMO and I really need to stop watching those videos.
I’ve said it’s not the rig for me and probably came off negative about it but it is a bad mother f***er. I truly believe that’ll be a good machine. Seeing what our little Wolverine is capable of and how well it’s held up leads me to believe the RMAX will be just fine lol. f*** the General!!!

advertisement
J

JTW

Do it!!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I stopped at Honda East of Toledo last week on my way back from NY to see if they had a couple parts for the Donkey project.....they didn't but they did have a RMAX sitting in the showroom, I was impressed, looks like a nice rig.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
You can pimp out a pioneer pretty badass for less then the Rmax costs new. My dealer had it at $23k.

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree on the Yamaha RMAX 1000. I think it’s hands down the best sport/utility machine on the market right now, and at a crazy good price considering everything is basically already done, up to and including a winch, radio and 30” tires. 109hp, quiet, smooth, no heat issues and a 10 year warranty on the belt & trans.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Have you checked out the Yamaha RMAX 1000? I think it’s hands down the best sport/utility machine on the market right now, and at a crazy good price considering everything is basically already done, up to and including a winch, radio and 30” tires.
It’s still belt drive and I don’t consider 22-24k that good of a deal for a sport utility. I only paid $15,300 for my 1000-5 last year. It was my decision to spend the extra money on it. If you think you are going to buy an Rmax and do nothing to it, think again.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
At least most are in agreement on Polaris being questionable. It’s derailed yes but there’s that.
I wouldn’t have a Polaris if they gave me one, they just aren’t built that well and I’ve pulled several of them back to the safety of the driveway.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It’s still belt drive and I don’t consider 22-24k that good of a deal for a sport utility. I only paid $15,300 for my 1000-5 last year. It was my decision to spend the extra money on it. If you think you are going to buy an Rmax and do nothing to it, think again.
Yup, I just paid $16k for mine, not including tax but including all fees but the $23k for the Rmax also didn’t include tax or dealer fees, so while I walked out paying $17.4K for the pioneer, Rmax including all fees/tax would of been closer to $26k out the door or close to $9k diff, you can add a lot for $9k to a pioneer.

I also wonder how much of the 109hp is lost to the belt system, it’ll still have more power but I crack up how everyone is now a professional racer or rock crawler once they get their hands on one of these sporty utv’s, guess I’m old at 40.

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
I had a 700 Rhino and loved the thing until I started having problems out of it.

First problem I had was it kept running hot on me and was puzzled as to why it was. Long story short, the Rhinos were bad about the cooling system getting air locked. You would have to jack the front end up and burp the coolant to get the air out of it. This led to a blown head gasket for me and about an $18-2000 fix.

Secondly I couldn’t keep the battery charged on the thing. I didn’t have any accessories on the thing (imagine that!). I didn’t really keep it long enough to put any on it. I took it to the dealer and he said the magneto was burned up and would have to replace it. $8-900 bucks later I was going again. I had had enough. Sold that sucker while it was still running and bought a 700-4. Best decision I ever made!

I kept the Rhino maybe 2 years, had my 700-4 for nearly 7 years before I sold it and bought my 1000-5 1-1/2 months ago. The only thing I did to my pioneer during the 7 years was put a battery on it and oil changes. You can’t convince me to buy a Yamaha. Maybe they’ve improved a lot since the Rhinos but I’m sticking with the old faithful Honda. The Rmax does look pretty cool and offer some nice options but screw me once shame on you, twice shame on me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yup, I just paid $16k for mine, not including tax but including all fees but the $23k for the Rmax also didn’t include tax or dealer fees, so while I walked out paying $17.4K for the pioneer, Rmax including all fees/tax would of been closer to $26k out the door or close to $9k diff, you can add a lot for $9k to a pioneer.

I also wonder how much of the 109hp is lost to the belt system, it’ll still have more power but I crack up how everyone is now a professional racer or rock crawler once they get their hands on one of these sporty utv’s, guess I’m old at 40.
You’ll lose about a third of your HP through the belt system, we lose about 12%.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!