P1000 Thinking of selling and going Polaris

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
Well, I got the feedback I expected. Good, or maybe not, to hear that Polaris is still not making a quality machine. I don’t want a full time cab enclosure, but when I’m elk hunting and leaving the cabin at 0430 I want to be enclosed, so yes, I need some sort of enclosure option. I have a hard coat windshield and a soft rear panel and a roof, none of them seal very well. I want a better system and some decent upper doors.
Fox shocks seem to make people happy, but I don’t want something that needs maintenance or service, so they are out. Maybe Can am is an option? I’ve heard they are LOUD though. Deal breaker. Thanks for the feedback

If you’re really wanting a nice cab my farmer buddy has a John Deere 865R Gator. It has a nice price tag, cost almost a third of what my John Deere 6430 Premium Cab tractor with loader and 4wd used cost me. LOL. It’s a nice ride if you’re not wanting to do a lot of off-roading in my opinion, it’d be perfect for use on hunting as long as the roads are well maintained.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Biteme
bwetzel

bwetzel

Nov 10, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Well, I got the feedback I expected. Good, or maybe not, to hear that Polaris is still not making a quality machine. I don’t want a full time cab enclosure, but when I’m elk hunting and leaving the cabin at 0430 I want to be enclosed, so yes, I need some sort of enclosure option. I have a hard coat windshield and a soft rear panel and a roof, none of them seal very well. I want a better system and some decent upper doors.
Fox shocks seem to make people happy, but I don’t want something that needs maintenance or service, so they are out. Maybe Can am is an option? I’ve heard they are LOUD though. Deal breaker. Thanks for the feedback
My father-in-law and a few other guys I ride with all have the HD10 with full cab. Several guys have same set up on their Polaris. I’ve driven both quite a bit and I’d go Can-Am all day if I wasn’t so stubborn about having a red machine. Just be ready to shell out extra for anything that says Can-Am on the box. (disclaimer: I had an Outlander for a few years and it was a nice ride, but always had that voice in my head...”is this creek too deep?”)

J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Those are not elk! Not in a pissing contest, but my mountain bike ca
If you’re really wanting a nice cab my farmer buddy has a John Deere 865R Gator. It has a nice price tag, cost almost a third of what my John Deere 6430 Premium Cab tractor with loader and 4wd used cost me. LOL. It’s a nice ride if you’re not wanting to do a lot of off-roading in my opinion, it’d be perfect for use on hunting as long as the roads are well maintained.

ive been in the Deere machines. Total POS in my experience. I don’t drive easy dirt roads, and I often go where there are no roads. I need a real Offroad vehicle. Private land, so don’t lecture me.

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
Those are not elk! Not in a pissing contest, but my mountain bike ca

ive been in the Deere machines. Total POS in my experience. I don’t drive easy dirt roads, and I often go where there are no roads. I need a real Offroad vehicle. Private land, so don’t lecture me.

LOL

Reactions: TimG and Biteme
BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know this is a Honda site. I own a 16 p1k5 and a 07 foreman rubicon. I have to say, while the Rubicon is bulletproof, and The Pioneer so far at 1600 miles has been ok (early clutch warranty, fouled plugs 2x, heat issue), it rides pretty crappy, has no storage to speak of, and the rear seats have proven to be useless for anyone over the age of 8.
I have been looking at the new Polaris xp1000 trail boss, and it sure seems to be a very nice machine. They improved the clutch, it has hill descent control, comes on 28’s with arched arms and full skids, very quiet machine, no heat issues, and really a vastly improved cabin over what the Honda offers.
I use the machine for ranch type work and hunting out west. I do not do high speed stuff, but will travel at 35-40 on a dirt road when I can/need to.
So, many of you here ride with others, and have much more of a variety of experience over me. Am I crazy to consider a Polaris, or have they truly improved the product?
Honda, WAKE UP, you are following the Toyota model which means everyone is passing you by with the creature comforts and features. This thing need to be able to be quiet, no heat, in cab storage, and all day comfort. I am not interested in replacing the suspension and adding stuff to fix factory design shortcomings.
On the flip side, I bought it because I love a transmission, and for that it is exceptional. Just too loud, hot, dusty, rattling, jarring ride for what it should/could be.
Am I wrong?
Too LOUD you say???? You must have a hole in your exhaust ..... lol

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
I have to say those pics are not really telling, mainly deer which are 1/3 the size of elk and 1/4 the weight, the last one is a moose but notice he is dragging it, you would ruin a ton of meat dragging a moose 10 miles behind a utv. Plus where is all their gear?

LOL That’s good stuff!!!

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just for kicks and giggles I took a look at a key spec on the KRX 🤣 look at the last spec, not even close to enough to carry an elk, even if boned out plus gear it’ll be maxed out quick not only in weight but space.

Front Suspension / Wheel TravelDouble wishbone, FOX 2.5 PODIUM LSC shocks with piggyback reservoir, fully adjustable preload, and 24-position adjustable compression damping/18.6 in.
Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel4-link trailing-arm rear suspension, FOX 2.5 PODIUM LSC shocks with piggyback reservoir, fully adjustable preload, and 24-position adjustable compression damping/21.1 in.
Front TiresMAXXIS Carnivore 31 x 10.00R15 8PR
Rear TiresMAXXIS Carnivore 31 x 10.00R15 8PR
SteeringElectric Power Steering (EPS) / rack-and-pinion
Front BrakesDual hydraulic discs with two-piston calipers
Rear BrakesDual hydraulic discs with single-piston calipers
Ground Clearance14.4 in
Fuel Capacity10.6 gal
Turning Radius19.4 ft
Cargo Bed Dimensions (LxWxH)14.6 x 33.1 x 9.1 in
Cargo Bed Capacity351 lbs

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Just for kicks and giggles I took a look at a key spec on the KRX 🤣 look at the last spec, not even close to enough to carry an elk, even if boned out plus gear it’ll be maxed out quick.

Front Suspension / Wheel TravelDouble wishbone, FOX 2.5 PODIUM LSC shocks with piggyback reservoir, fully adjustable preload, and 24-position adjustable compression damping/18.6 in.
Rear Suspension / Wheel Travel4-link trailing-arm rear suspension, FOX 2.5 PODIUM LSC shocks with piggyback reservoir, fully adjustable preload, and 24-position adjustable compression damping/21.1 in.
Front TiresMAXXIS Carnivore 31 x 10.00R15 8PR
Rear TiresMAXXIS Carnivore 31 x 10.00R15 8PR
SteeringElectric Power Steering (EPS) / rack-and-pinion
Front BrakesDual hydraulic discs with two-piston calipers
Rear BrakesDual hydraulic discs with single-piston calipers
Ground Clearance14.4 in
Fuel Capacity10.6 gal
Turning Radius19.4 ft
Cargo Bed Dimensions (LxWxH)14.6 x 33.1 x 9.1 in
Cargo Bed Capacity351 lbs

So you’re saying it might struggle with this load for camping? That’s weird I was told it’ll do everything better

70EEBDE4 EA9D 441B B20F 242F95A60A06

J

JTW

Yet y'all still bought one, and are still on a Honda site, mine hasn't had one issue, but I use it for what it's designed for. All for less than 15,000.00.
We did 5 years ago... and that was then. This is now. Options have changed and so have riding styles. If you haven’t had issues then you don’t ride them like we do. We’ve found the issues and bring attention to them and some folks get all asshole hurt. Honda doesn’t own this site nor do they pay the owner for it. When the moderators of this “Honda” site are buying the machine I’m suggesting... what does that tell you? It’s hilarious to me how a simple phrase like, “Have you considered a KRX?” Makes people lose their minds!!

Reactions: Biteme and Mudwing
advertisement
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes.. point being it can be done. There are two caribou in the bed in one pic. Quartered up you could stack half in the bed and half on a cargo rack. Or you could make two trips in about the same time you would make one in some of the other machines mentioned. I’d gladly take it over packing that s*** out.
Haha, I’ve never shot one where I didn’t have to pack it out, we always bone them out but with a box capacity at 351lbs, your going to max that out quick between 3 guys, hunting gear and meat/antler. I’m sure it can be done though. But 3 guys can’t really fit either.

Reactions: Biteme and EMAW
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
A number designed for optimal performance when riding.. not ability.

How many elk are you packing out a year? One maybe two? Yeah, makes perfect sense to buy a machine for a couple hours worth of work per year.

Not my money.. I don’t care. But if the consideration is “Thinking of selling and going Polaris” I think there are much better options.
Most years 2 but some 3. Oh I agree, I’d stay as far away from Polaris as one can get. I also need 7 seats, had to settle for 5 and a bed I can use working on my property. The KRX would be a blast but isn’t practical for many.

I‘m new here but still feel like it’s fun busting your balls and messing with you 🤣

Last edited:
Mopower58

Mopower58

CST is the Best!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 10, 2017
Crystal Springs,Ms.
Ownership

1. 1000-3
We did 5 years ago... and that was then. This is now. Options have changed and so have riding styles. If you haven’t had issues then you don’t ride them like we do. We’ve found the issues and bring attention to them and some folks get all asshole hurt. Honda doesn’t own this site nor do they pay the owner for it. When the moderators of this “Honda” site are buying the machine I’m suggesting... what does that tell you? It’s hilarious to me how a simple phrase like, “Have you considered a KRX?” Makes people lose their minds!!
It's funny to me people buy a machine and try to make it fit there riding style then whine and complain that it doesn't do what they asked it to. I simply got the correct machine for my needs. Funny how KRX people try to convince someone that they are the best thing ever. That's what they said about nobama and we saw how that went!

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
This is my opinion and my opinion only, they say opinions are like butts, everyone’s got one and they all stink.

If you want and can afford a Can Am, get you one, a Honda, get you one, Kawasaki, get it, Polaris, don’t do it.....lol. My point is go buy what you want and don’t settle for anything less or you’ll be disappointed from the get go but....

I’ve owned Honda, Yamaha and Polaris... My experiences I’ve had with these won’t be the same as anyone else most likely but I’ve spent way less money on repairs on the Honda’s I’ve owned vs the Yamahas and Polaris’s. I can’t speak for Kawasaki or Can-Am.

So, if money is no object and you don’t mind working on junk all the time instead of riding and enjoying it, I would go for something other than a Honda. Honda is pretty basic compared to a lot of other choices out there, not all the new bells and whistles to choose from.

You’re going to have problems out of anything you buy regardless of make, model, etc, but with my experience I’ve had less out of Honda than any other brand I’ve owned.

bwetzel

bwetzel

Nov 10, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
If me and my friends didn’t constantly talk sh*t about each others machines I wouldn’t consider them my buddies! At the end of the day it’s a toy. Buy what you like and ride it how you like.

J

JTW

Your words not mine. And I am not 70 but am mature and wise enough to buy what I need not what everybody else is using, regardless of need.Helping someone to buy a sport sxs when they need a utility sxs is not really helping.
Lmao.. yeah, ok.
The issue is people thinking they need a utility when they don’t! The issue is people here not being honest about what machines are... OR they have no clue what they’re talking about and only speaking from experience of riding around their 10 acres.

Ohio4x4

Ohio4x4

I brought the dishwasher
Lifetime Member
Aug 23, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I really like the 1000-5 so far, it has more power, a little wider, a little longer, more stable, love the turf mode and hi/low ranges and the top speed is 67 vs 44-45 on the 700. The throttle is a little tricky at times but I can get used to it. The only concern I really have with the 1000 is the transmission. It has a lot of options to choose from which if you have to work on it it will most likely cost more to repair than the 700. Just my 2 cents.....
I wouldn't worry about the trans.

I've moved all kinds of crap with my pk1 and have no issues. Our boat was 3800lbs, a 4k lb empty equipment trailer and several broken atvs and sxs of all kinds. Hell last winter I was using it to pull cars out of the ditch and no issues yet in 4k miles most recently I've been dragging a trailer made from the back half of chevy s10 pickup full of tools and such to clear a peace of land. I treat this thing like every other honda I've owned with one exception and that's low range. You need to be diligent about making sure its fully in low before getting on the throttle.

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014

Thanks, good to know!

906UP

906UP

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jul 6, 2017
da Yoop
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Have you considered a donkey AND a mule.

I'd stay away from alpacas. Sure they're sporty, but the payload is s***.
This is the Donkey I was referring too, I can't believe anyone would ever need anything else, it's the greatest SxS ever created..... @JTW Have you considered a Donkey.....LOL
Resized 20200906 1731581

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!