Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
So I’m a newbie and don’t have much direct experience, BUT in the past 2 days I’ve visited 6 dealerships looking to buy a Honda P1K, and I walked each of their service departments- I did NOT see a single Honda being worked on - lots of Polaris, Can Am and other brands.... I think that speaks volumes. I purchased a new P1K5 today and won’t get it for 6-8 months and I bought it based on everything I’ve read and seen on YouTube and other video/forum sites. Just my opinion. Based on my now-empty wallet, I hope I’m right!
A close friend owns a Yamaha repair shop. He repairs anything and everything though. He got his first Talon in his shop a few weeks ago and asked me to come check it out. I’d asked what was wrong with it and he said he was installing accessories for a friend that owed it.
Went down to check it out, through our conversation I mentioned that I’d driven one several times, he asked if I was interested in the new RMAX and I said I liked Honda better but had driven RMAX. I asked him if he’d had one in and he just laughed and said no and probably not for a long while, it was like the Honda and never sees them, not even much for maintenance.
What’s funny about that is that Polaris outsells all the Jap brands here 2-1 but when you go in his shop at any time there are a dozen Polaris, a couple Can-am and maybe one Jap machine being worked on. The percentage is staggering. He says he appreciates Polaris because they keep him in business, aftermarket is readily available and the tolerances are so poor they are easier to work on.

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I had 2 Polaris ATVs for 20 years on original belts, and currently own a Polaris Ace 570 (one seater) for smoother ride than the P500. Just think the belt issues on larger models are stress by heavier machines and driver abuse. Seems like Polaris dominates the Craigslist ads, and very few Hondas are for sale. That speaks volumes.
On the heat issue, glad us P500 guys have the rubber @trigger shield product. No wet insulation.

I think there’s also a lack of knowledge on how to properly use a belt driven machine. My brother in law hopped on my sportsman 800 and asked how much I’d spent on belts over the ~2500 miles that were on it. I was still on the factory belt. I treated that thing exactly how I treat my p1k: low range for work, crawling, and putting around under 10mph, might range for everything else. Seems he had a buddy with a sportsman 500 that couldn’t get more than a couple hundred miles out of a belt because he had no idea he was supposed to use low range for low range stuff.

D

dilligaff82

Jan 24, 2017
New Hampshire
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I’m a newbie and don’t have much direct experience, BUT in the past 2 days I’ve visited 6 dealerships looking to buy a Honda P1K, and I walked each of their service departments- I did NOT see a single Honda being worked on - lots of Polaris, Can Am and other brands.... I think that speaks volumes. I purchased a new P1K5 today and won’t get it for 6-8 months and I bought it based on everything I’ve read and seen on YouTube and other video/forum sites. Just my opinion. Based on my now-empty wallet, I hope I’m right!

6-8 months? Jeez. Half of what shows up in the New Hampshire Craigslist ATV section when you search “honda” is p1ks. Seems they sell a little bit slower up here.

Reactions: Mudder

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!