Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I know this is a Honda site. I own a 16 p1k5 and a 07 foreman rubicon. I have to say, while the Rubicon is bulletproof, and The Pioneer so far at 1600 miles has been ok (early clutch warranty, fouled plugs 2x, heat issue), it rides pretty crappy, has no storage to speak of, and the rear seats have proven to be useless for anyone over the age of 8.
I have been looking at the new Polaris xp1000 trail boss, and it sure seems to be a very nice machine. They improved the clutch, it has hill descent control, comes on 28’s with arched arms and full skids, very quiet machine, no heat issues, and really a vastly improved cabin over what the Honda offers.
I use the machine for ranch type work and hunting out west. I do not do high speed stuff, but will travel at 35-40 on a dirt road when I can/need to.
So, many of you here ride with others, and have much more of a variety of experience over me. Am I crazy to consider a Polaris, or have they truly improved the product?
Honda, WAKE UP, you are following the Toyota model which means everyone is passing you by with the creature comforts and features. This thing need to be able to be quiet, no heat, in cab storage, and all day comfort. I am not interested in replacing the suspension and adding stuff to fix factory design shortcomings.
On the flip side, I bought it because I love a transmission, and for that it is exceptional. Just too loud, hot, dusty, rattling, jarring ride for what it should/could be.
Am I wrong?

Mind you nothing will dissuade someone who desires new paint, if that's the case I definitely would not go Polaris route, yes they have great marketing, and tick all the boxes to SELL machines, but many tens of thousands regret the true cost of ownership and down time of repairs and maintenance after the sale.

From your use description, sounds like you bought the right machine but like several of us didn't choose the correct accessories to give the best experience. I will try to address your primary disappointments as an early adopter of the 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 as well. Many of us have learned a lot since the P1k rolled out 5 years ago.

Heat- Nothing like the OG P1k with a roof and full fixed windshield coupled with a mid panel to trap in the heat at slow to moderate speeds. Honda addressed part of the issue in later part of 2017 with a rubber barrier and padding during production, many of us came up with our own solutions using firewall insulation material that is inexpensive and very effective especially if used in conjunction with a 4" bilge fan mounted under the seat blowing back onto exhaust headers. Both these fixes can be done for about $50 and two hours of your time. However the single biggest improvement in heat reduction is a SuperATV Flip up hardcoat windshield, it allows plenty of fresh air in nice weather keeping you cool and dust free, but can be closed for comfort in wet and cold weather. These cost about $450 and about 2 hours of your time to install and adjust for correct fit. The results of the above alone solve the heat & dust issues almost completely. Here is some pictures of my 2016 heat barrier being installed that works great. Note the white bilge fan mounted in first photo on seat crossmember before any barrier is installed. The silver material is 2000 degrees rated automotive firewall insulation cost about $25.
20160729 104650
1469808801246 1817788851
20160729 124512
20160729 124657
20160729 130652
20160729 133334
20160729 133519

Storage- Honda offers a few OEM accessories albeit expensive for what they are that do actually work very well in adding in cab storage for small items. They come standard on the LE model P1k as does the Fox QS3 shocks I will address next. There is a storage area under drivers seat that can be added very quickly for items you don't need immediate access to. There is an under dash tray with netting that goes all the way across that is very convenient and I use constantly for gloves, phone, wallet, keys, etc. Also adding the in door cup holders is useful. As already mentioned there are a few DIY in door storage tricks for the back doors that offer considerable quick access storage, very ingenious actually, not a simple add on but worth the effort to employ.

Ride- On the LE models they come with FOX QS3 adjustable shocks that offer a noticeably improved ride, they fit all P1K models and can be swapped out in an hour. They would cost between $1400-$1600 for all 4 depending upon where you get them. Definitely worth the money and time invested. I'm going on nearly 7,000 miles on mine they work great.

Rear seat comfort- this is a simple $40 fix. KOLPIN sells a Rak Pad made for ATV rear racks as a seat. It is over 3" thick attaches with sewn on velcro straps in 2 minutes. This makes a world of difference in adult comfort for medium to longer rides.

So you can address these issues with your current machine for about $3000 dollars and a day or two work or you can buy your way into them by upgrading to the Honda Pioneer 1000 LE model that already has everything but a flip up windshield and rear door storage.

You mentioned full skids, if you don't have any and ride in rocky or rutted terrain you cannot go wrong with Factory UTV ultimate UHMW skid set.

If you have decided you are done with Honda, I would have to seriously consider the Yamaha RMAX 1000 as an alternative machine, but I personally would never go to a CVT machine.

Hope some of this information helps and good luck with what you decide to do.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Mind you nothing will dissuade someone who desires new paint, if that's the case I definitely would not go Polaris route, yes they have great marketing, and tick all the boxes to SELL machines, but many tens of thousands regret the true cost of ownership and down time of repairs and maintenance after the sale.

From your use description, sounds like you bought the right machine but like several of us didn't choose the correct accessories to give the best experience. I will try to address your primary disappointments as an early adopter of the 2016 Pioneer 1000-5 as well. Many of us have learned a lot since the P1k rolled out 5 years ago.

Heat- Nothing like the OG P1k with a roof and full fixed windshield coupled with a mid panel to trap in the heat at slow to moderate speeds. Honda addressed past of the issue in later part of 2017 with a rubber barrier and padding during production, many of us came up with our own solutions using firewall insulation material that is inexpensive and very effective especially if used in conjunction with a 4" bilge fan mounted under the seat blowing back onto exhaust headers. Both these fixes can be done for about $50 and two hours of your time. However the single biggest improvement in heat red is a SuperATV Flip up hardcoat windshield, it allows plenty of fresh air in nice weather keeping you cool and dust free, but can be closed for comfort in wet and cold weather. These cost about $450 and about 2 hours of your time to install and adjust for correct fit. The results of the above alone solve the heat & dust issues almost completely. Here is some pictures of my 2016 heat barrier being installed that works great. Not the white bilge fan mounted in first photo on seat crossmember before any barrier is installed. The silver material is 2000 degrees rated automotive firewall insulation cost about $25.
View attachment 241660View attachment 241661View attachment 241662View attachment 241663View attachment 241664View attachment 241665View attachment 241666

Storage- Honda offers a few OEM accessories albeit expensive for what they are that do actually work very well in adding in cab storage for small items. They come standard on the LE model P1k as does the Fox QS3 shocks I will address next. There is a storage area under drivers seat that can be added very quickly for items you don't need immediate access to. There is an under dash tray with netting that goes all the way across that is very convenient and I use constantly for gloves, phone, wallet, keys, etc. Also adding the in door cup holders is useful. As already mentioned there are a few DIY in door storage tricks for the back doors that offer considerable quick access storage, very ingenious actually, not a simple add on but worth the effort to employ.

Ride- On the LE models they come with FOX QS3 adjustable shocks that offer a noticeably improved ride, they fit all P1K models and can be swapped out in an hour. The would cost between $1400-$1600 for all 4 depending upon where you get them. Definitely worth the money and time invested. I'm going on nearly 7,000 miles on mine they work great.

Rear seat comfort- this is a simple $40 fix. KOLPIN sells a Rak Pad made for ATV rear racks as a seat. It is over 3" thick attaches with sewn on velcro straps in 2 minutes. This makes a world of difference in adult comfort for medium to longer rides.

So you can address these issues with your current machine for about $3000 dollars and a day or two work or you can buy your way into them by upgrading to the Honda Pioneer 1000 LE model that already has everything but a flip up windshield and rear door storage.

You mentioned full skids, if you don't have any and ride in rocky or rutted terrain you cannot go wrong with Factory UTV ultimate UHMW skid set.

If you have decided you are done with Honda, I would have to seriously consider the Yamaha RMAX 1000 as a consideration, but I personally would never go to a CVT machine.

Dammit, get out of here with all your common sense and logic. He needs to trade for a sport, we all do.

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014

Heat- Nothing like the OG P1k with a roof and full fixed windshield coupled with a mid panel to trap in the heat at slow to moderate speeds. Honda addressed part of the issue in later part of 2017 with a rubber barrier and padding during production, many of us came up with our own solutions using firewall insulation material that is inexpensive and very effective especially if used in conjunction with a 4" bilge fan mounted under the seat blowing back onto exhaust headers. Both these fixes can be done for about $50 and two hours of your time. However the single biggest improvement in heat reduction is a SuperATV Flip up hardcoat windshield, it allows plenty of fresh air in nice weather keeping you cool and dust free, but can be closed for comfort in wet and cold weather. These cost about $450 and about 2 hours of your time to install and adjust for correct fit. The results of the above alone solve the heat & dust issues almost completely. Here is some pictures of my 2016 heat barrier being installed that works great. Note the white bilge fan mounted in first photo on seat crossmember before any barrier is installed. The silver material is 2000 degrees rated automotive firewall insulation cost about $25.
View attachment 241660View attachment 241661View attachment 241662View attachment 241663View attachment 241664View attachment 241665View attachment 241666

Ride- On the LE models they come with FOX QS3 adjustable shocks that offer a noticeably improved ride, they fit all P1K models and can be swapped out in an hour. The would cost between $1400-$1600 for all 4 depending upon where you get them. Definitely worth the money and time invested. I'm going on nearly 7,000 miles on mine they work great.

If you have decided you are done with Honda, I would have to seriously consider the Yamaha RMAX 1000 as an alternativemachine, but I personally would never go to a CVT machine.

Nicely said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
I had 2 Polaris ATVs for 20 years on original belts, and currently own a Polaris Ace 570 (one seater) for smoother ride than the P500. Just think the belt issues on larger models are stress by heavier machines and driver abuse. Seems like Polaris dominates the Craigslist ads, and very few Hondas are for sale. That speaks volumes.
On the heat issue, glad us P500 guys have the rubber @trigger shield product. No wet insulation.

Last edited:
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I had 2 Polaris ATVs for 20 years on original belts, and currently own a Polaris Ace 570 (one seater) for smoother ride than the P500. Just think the belt issues on larger models are stress by heavier machines and driver abuse. Seems like Polaris dominates the Craigslist ads, and few Hondas are for sale.
On the heat issue, glad us P500 guys have the rubber @trigger shield product. No wet insulation.

The firewall insulation barrier I used is 100% waterproof and does not retain any moisture, along with the reflective surface does not collect as much heat as a black rubber barrier.

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
The firewall insulation barrier I used is 100% waterproof and does not retain any moisture, along with the reflective surface does not collect as much heat as a black rubber barrier.

The bubble wrap covered in an aluminum foil would work great for reflecting heat, not as well as rubber for a noise barrier though. Just an FYI, the stuff I use isn't that thin Honda rubber, it's 60 mil, heavy and dense.

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
The bubble wrap covered in an aluminum foil would work great for reflecting heat, not as well as rubber for a noise barrier though. Just an FYI, the stuff I use isn't that thin Honda rubber, it's 60 mil, heavy and dense.

No bubble wrap is .064 thick and resistant to 2000 degrees.

Brand:Thermo-Tec

Manufacturer's Part Number:14620

Part Type:Heat Barrier and Sound Deadening Mats

Product Line:Thermo-Tec Acoustical & Heat Control Mats

Summit Racing Part Number:THE-14620

UPC:755829146209

Mat Use:Sound deadener/Heat barrier

Length (in):60.000 in.

Width (in):36.000 in.

Thickness (in):0.063 in.

Installation:Self-adhesive

Maximum Ambient Temperature (F):2,000 degrees F

Quantity:Sold individually.

Notes:Designed for use on the interior of the vehicle only.

Description: Thermo-Tec Acoustical & Heat Control Mats are ideal for keeping excess heat and noise from your vehicles interior. In addition to the polyethylene film, these mats have a foil surface that provides direct protection from radiant heat. These mats are great for use on firewalls, floorboards, and doors. The suppressor mats feature a high temperature adhesive backing and are eas

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
No bubble wrap is .064 thick and resistant to 2000 degrees. You must have been watch half ass hillbilly engineering solutions.

Brand:Thermo-Tec

Manufacturer's Part Number:14620

Part Type:Heat Barrier and Sound Deadening Mats

Product Line:Thermo-Tec Acoustical & Heat Control Mats

Summit Racing Part Number:THE-14620

UPC:755829146209

Mat Use:Sound deadener/Heat barrier

Length (in):60.000 in.

Width (in):36.000 in.

Thickness (in):0.063 in.

Installation:Self-adhesive

Maximum Ambient Temperature (F):2,000 degrees F

Quantity:Sold individually.

Notes:Designed for use on the interior of the vehicle only.

Description: Thermo-Tec Acoustical & Heat Control Mats are ideal for keeping excess heat and noise from your vehicles interior. In addition to the polyethylene film, these mats have a foil surface that provides direct protection from radiant heat. These mats are great for use on firewalls, floorboards, and doors. The suppressor mats feature a high temperature adhesive backing and are eas

It's a thin butyl rubber covered in foil, high temp Dynamat. Don't tell me you glued sh** to your plastics?! The answer to that will determine who's watching Hillbilly Engineering.

advertisement
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
It's a thin butyl rubber covered in foil, high temp Dynamat. Don't tell me you glued sh** to your plastics?! The answer to that will determine who's watching Hillbilly Engineering.
I used the same product without the adhesive backing, that what what I could link to, stuff moves around on the internet after 4 years :D

EMAW

EMAW

Mama Tried!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I had the privilege of meting with several forum members last September at RRB. We had a great ride and My wife and I can’t wait to go back! Unfortunately during that ride one of our fellow forum members got hurt in an accident.
Emergency Medical help was needed and a rescue vehicle was soon coming down the very remote trail where we were at.
IT WAS DAMN SURE NOT A POLARIS! Yes, it was a Honda !!
Obviously, EMS can’t rely on a CVT Belt when it comes time to go!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I had the privilege of meting with several forum members last September at RRB. We had a great ride and My wife and I can’t wait to go back! Unfortunately during that ride one of our fellow forum members got hurt in an accident.
Emergency Medical help was needed and a rescue vehicle was soon coming down the very remote trail where we were at.
IT WAS DAMN SURE NOT A POLARIS! Yes, it was a Honda !!
Obviously, EMS can’t rely on a CVT Belt when it comes time to go!

Yup, I found out later they actually have four Honda Pioneer 1000-5s for the County EMS Rescue Squad. Hated the circumstances that they showed up in but was cool to see the machine all decked out.

J

Jerryy

Nov 15, 2016
Freedom, Wyoming
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know this is a Honda site. I own a 16 p1k5 and a 07 foreman rubicon. I have to say, while the Rubicon is bulletproof, and The Pioneer so far at 1600 miles has been ok (early clutch warranty, fouled plugs 2x, heat issue), it rides pretty crappy, has no storage to speak of, and the rear seats have proven to be useless for anyone over the age of 8.
I have been looking at the new Polaris xp1000 trail boss, and it sure seems to be a very nice machine. They improved the clutch, it has hill descent control, comes on 28’s with arched arms and full skids, very quiet machine, no heat issues, and really a vastly improved cabin over what the Honda offers.
I use the machine for ranch type work and hunting out west. I do not do high speed stuff, but will travel at 35-40 on a dirt road when I can/need to.
So, many of you here ride with others, and have much more of a variety of experience over me. Am I crazy to consider a Polaris, or have they truly improved the product?
Honda, WAKE UP, you are following the Toyota model which means everyone is passing you by with the creature comforts and features. This thing need to be able to be quiet, no heat, in cab storage, and all day comfort. I am not interested in replacing the suspension and adding stuff to fix factory design shortcomings.
On the flip side, I bought it because I love a transmission, and for that it is exceptional. Just too loud, hot, dusty, rattling, jarring ride for what it should/could be.
Am I wrong?
I owned two Polaris sxs's prior to buying my 2016 p1k5. Interestingly, my Honda has had if I remember correctly 4 factory recalls. My 2 Polaris's'(2011 RZR and 2015 Ranger Crew) had no recalls but many issues that should have caused a recall. For instance, you worry about heat in the Honda seat, how about so much heat under the seat of the Polaris that it melted all the plastic access panels to the engine. I read literally hundreds of stories of the same issue---Polaris's answer---you need to drive it faster. How many of you have checked the air filter on the Honda. It takes a while because the Honda a/f is buried behind a bunch of protection so it does not get the filthy air from the rear tire like the Polaris. In one hour of riding my Polaris, I shook more dust out than after riding the Honda for over a year. Try checking the oil on a Polaris RZR--you must remove the seat, then try to remove the melted plastic cover, then check the oil. Hill descent on the Polaris? The early RZR's had hill descent--Polaris stopped making it as it was ruled unsafe as the rear wheels would lock up going downhill. An acquaintance of mine has a 2018? high end Polaris at a cost of over $25000 with monster wheels and hill descent--same problem as earlier ones. I bought the Honda for the transmission which is the most foolproof hill descent you can get. My second Polaris (Ranger Crew) had so much dust come through that one could hardly breathe. Polaris's solution to their design flaw---we have a new accessory we can SELL you to fix the problem. Yep, my Honda ain't the prettiest girl at the dance but at least when Honda recognizes a problem they step up and issue a no charge fix for it. I have 1500 miles on mostly tough, rocky, and /or snow covered trails without a single problem. This is my second season plowing snow with it and I really appreciate the "heated seat. Enjoy your new ride.

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
I owned two Polaris sxs's prior to buying my 2016 p1k5. Interestingly, my Honda has had if I remember correctly 4 factory recalls. My 2 Polaris's'(2011 RZR and 2015 Ranger Crew) had no recalls but many issues that should have caused a recall. For instance, you worry about heat in the Honda seat, how about so much heat under the seat of the Polaris that it melted all the plastic access panels to the engine. I read literally hundreds of stories of the same issue---Polaris's answer---you need to drive it faster. How many of you have checked the air filter on the Honda. It takes a while because the Honda a/f is buried behind a bunch of protection so it does not get the filthy air from the rear tire like the Polaris. In one hour of riding my Polaris, I shook more dust out than after riding the Honda for over a year. Try checking the oil on a Polaris RZR--you must remove the seat, then try to remove the melted plastic cover, then check the oil. Hill descent on the Polaris? The early RZR's had hill descent--Polaris stopped making it as it was ruled unsafe as the rear wheels would lock up going downhill. An acquaintance of mine has a 2018? high end Polaris at a cost of over $25000 with monster wheels and hill descent--same problem as earlier ones. I bought the Honda for the transmission which is the most foolproof hill descent you can get. My second Polaris (Ranger Crew) had so much dust come through that one could hardly breathe. Polaris's solution to their design flaw---we have a new accessory we can SELL you to fix the problem. Yep, my Honda ain't the prettiest girl at the dance but at least when Honda recognizes a problem they step up and issue a no charge fix for it. I have 1500 miles on mostly tough, rocky, and /or snow covered trails without a single problem. This is my second season plowing snow with it and I really appreciate the "heated seat. Enjoy your new ride.

Great stuff, I really enjoy my heated seat during the cold months as well. As Jackal mentioned, the SuperATV flip up windshield solves the heat issue in the summer months. I’ve really enjoyed my 1000-5 over the past few months!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

EMAW

EMAW

Mama Tried!
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jun 3, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have 3 good friends with Polaris Rangers, and one of them also has a RZR (it’s all covered with aftermarket goodies and is fast). Don’t misunderstand....we have each other backs.
But, to get to my point....whenever one of those friends has an issue and require some friendly help they always call the Honda owners.
They have some very nice machines, and all the comfort (full cab heat/air) you could want!! The Honda’s have proven to be more reliable thru many mud holes and many maintenance issues.
I’m just “calling like I’ve seen it” .

bwetzel

bwetzel

Nov 10, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have 3 good friends with Polaris Rangers, and one of them also has a RZR (it’s all covered with aftermarket goodies and is fast). Don’t misunderstand....we have each other backs.
But, to get to my point....whenever one of those friends has an issue and require some friendly help they always call the Honda owners.
They have some very nice machines, and all the comfort (full cab heat/air) you could want!! The Honda’s have proven to be more reliable thru many mud holes and many maintenance issues.
I’m just “calling like I’ve seen it” .
yup

DHarbst

DHarbst

Dec 23, 2020
Union South Carolina
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So I’m a newbie and don’t have much direct experience, BUT in the past 2 days I’ve visited 6 dealerships looking to buy a Honda P1K, and I walked each of their service departments- I did NOT see a single Honda being worked on - lots of Polaris, Can Am and other brands.... I think that speaks volumes. I purchased a new P1K5 today and won’t get it for 6-8 months and I bought it based on everything I’ve read and seen on YouTube and other video/forum sites. Just my opinion. Based on my now-empty wallet, I hope I’m right!

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!