P1000 Thinking of selling and going Polaris

J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know this is a Honda site. I own a 16 p1k5 and a 07 foreman rubicon. I have to say, while the Rubicon is bulletproof, and The Pioneer so far at 1600 miles has been ok (early clutch warranty, fouled plugs 2x, heat issue), it rides pretty crappy, has no storage to speak of, and the rear seats have proven to be useless for anyone over the age of 8.
I have been looking at the new Polaris xp1000 trail boss, and it sure seems to be a very nice machine. They improved the clutch, it has hill descent control, comes on 28’s with arched arms and full skids, very quiet machine, no heat issues, and really a vastly improved cabin over what the Honda offers.
I use the machine for ranch type work and hunting out west. I do not do high speed stuff, but will travel at 35-40 on a dirt road when I can/need to.
So, many of you here ride with others, and have much more of a variety of experience over me. Am I crazy to consider a Polaris, or have they truly improved the product?
Honda, WAKE UP, you are following the Toyota model which means everyone is passing you by with the creature comforts and features. This thing need to be able to be quiet, no heat, in cab storage, and all day comfort. I am not interested in replacing the suspension and adding stuff to fix factory design shortcomings.
On the flip side, I bought it because I love a transmission, and for that it is exceptional. Just too loud, hot, dusty, rattling, jarring ride for what it should/could be.
Am I wrong?

kamikaze

kamikaze

Jul 2, 2020
Linden, NC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I know this is a Honda site. I own a 16 p1k5 and a 07 foreman rubicon. I have to say, while the Rubicon is bulletproof, and The Pioneer so far at 1600 miles has been ok (early clutch warranty, fouled plugs 2x, heat issue), it rides pretty crappy, has no storage to speak of, and the rear seats have proven to be useless for anyone over the age of 8.
I have been looking at the new Polaris xp1000 trail boss, and it sure seems to be a very nice machine. They improved the clutch, it has hill descent control, comes on 28’s with arched arms and full skids, very quiet machine, no heat issues, and really a vastly improved cabin over what the Honda offers.
I use the machine for ranch type work and hunting out west. I do not do high speed stuff, but will travel at 35-40 on a dirt road when I can/need to.
So, many of you here ride with others, and have much more of a variety of experience over me. Am I crazy to consider a Polaris, or have they truly improved the product?
Honda, WAKE UP, you are following the Toyota model which means everyone is passing you by with the creature comforts and features. This thing need to be able to be quiet, no heat, in cab storage, and all day comfort. I am not interested in replacing the suspension and adding stuff to fix factory design shortcomings.
On the flip side, I bought it because I love a transmission, and for that it is exceptional. Just too loud, hot, dusty, rattling, jarring ride for what it should/could be.
Am I wrong?

I too was disappointed with Honda when I first got my 2021 Pioneer. You're essentially buying a bare bones utv from Honda that rattles like a can of marbles and cooks you out of it for $17k+. I had to put about 5k into it to make it ready to ride... You'd think a roof, windshield and engine heat protection would be standard, nope. Honda needs to work on their fit and finish! Oh and already had to get both clutch sets replaced, which was not covered under warranty ($1600). Not too happy with it overall and have considered making the switch to something else too.

The North Star Edition with ac/heat has raised my interest but the price tag on it is equivalent to that of a new truck... I've had to rescue a few Polaris units due to belt issues but that's a simple fix compared to replacing clutches in a transmission.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
With every new model of Polaris people always say that it’s improved. And I believe that to a degree but it always seems to go back to subpar dependability on a grand scale. I just can’t see myself actually trusting in the brand.
As far as loud, I really consider the Pioneer to be quiet. At lower speed especially when you use manual mode, it’s not always screaming like with most belts to have engine towards top of the rpm band. I think that helps overall longevity of the engine as well. The DCT helps that and I believe the update has really given that a solid reputation for most if the person pays attention to a degree.
Now not saying anything on Honda’s accessory line they suck. Most other brands are light years ahead. Imho it comes down to overall dependability or comfort. I’d never buy anything but the Japanese brands and Polaris is last place.
I’ve asked some tough stuff from our Pioneer and this one keeps going, we have friends that have over 30k on the machine and it keeps going, that isn’t the norm exactly with Polaris. I love ours and the overall platform. If you don’t like the platform I’d sure consider the RMax for what you do if the bed is large enough before moving to Polaris, at least you’d still have a dependable piece under your butt.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just go to YouTube, there are videos on how to get the Polaris utv’s to go 5K miles. While Polaris does have nicely equipped machines I just don’t trust them after owning a sportsman atv that would randomly shutoff and died this past hunting season because the fuel pump failed at 426 miles, I fixed it and traded it in on the P1k5. It was also louder then the P1k5 I believe.

Nothing is perfect but I’d say the Honda is a great base to build off unless you want extreme racing or rock crawling capabilities out of the box. Everything has an option to fix, just don’t be shocked if you find that new Polaris has more issues with your concerns about the Honda then you think.

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Honda doesn't care about bells and whistle. They sell on quality.
Polaris gives you bells and whistles to make up for their lack of quality.

Sign up for some polaris forums and dig through the breakdown/repair threads. If you ask on any forum you'll get the expected fanboy response. Then go test drive some...don't limit yourself to Honda/vs Polaris.....I almost bought a Yamaha for comfort when I bought my 700 but opted for a real transmission and durability. It really boils down to which one floats YOUR boat.

I will say this....I watch Matts recovery on youtube and he's always dragging busted Polaris's out of the desert. Why?????maybe because they're cheap junk that the rental companies buy, or maybe it's because they're so popular they just show up more. Who knows??? LOL!

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Am I wrong?
I wouldn’t consider Polaris, my buddies new General just detonated the clutch at 500 miles and he doesn’t ride hard. If it’s for farm or chore use, I’d consider a Kawi Mule FX Pro. If you want trail and work capability I’d say check out the Can-am Defender line. The Rmax is another great machine, not as much of a utility machine but well built for sure.

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just go to YouTube, there are videos on how to get the Polaris utv’s to go 5K miles. While Polaris does have nicely equipped machines I just don’t trust them after owning a sportsman atv that would randomly shutoff and died this past hunting season because the fuel pump failed at 426 miles, I fixed it and traded it in on the P1k5. It was also louder then the P1k5 I believe.

Nothing is perfect but I’d say the Honda is a great base to build off unless you want extreme racing or rock crawling capabilities out of the box. Everything has an option to fix, just don’t be shocked if you find that new Polaris has more issues with your concerns about the Honda then you think.
You hit the nail on the head, nothing’s perfect. I’d take durability over comfort any day.

jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014
I too was disappointed with Honda when I first got my 2021 Pioneer. You're essentially buying a bare bones utv from Honda that rattles like a can of marbles and cooks you out of it for $17k+. I had to put about 5k into it to make it ready to ride... You'd think a roof, windshield and engine heat protection would be standard, nope. Honda needs to work on their fit and finish! Oh and already had to get both clutch sets replaced, which was not covered under warranty ($1600). Not too happy with it overall and have considered making the switch to something else too.

The North Star Edition with ac/heat has raised my interest but the price tag on it is equivalent to that of a new truck... I've had to rescue a few Polaris units due to belt issues but that's a simple fix compared to replacing clutches in a transmission.

How many miles/hours did you have on your p10005 when you had to replace the clutch sets? I just bought mine on 10/31/20 along with the extended warranty, that sucks that the warranty didn’t cover it, ridiculous!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bwetzel

bwetzel

Nov 10, 2018
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I ride with a crew of about 12 machines, Honda/Polaris/Can-Am. There were four of us Hondas, now two. One got the Northstar Ranger another went Can-Am. Every machine has full cab except me and other Honda, we both had soft cabs but I’ve been upgrading to SATV full enclosure. It’s tough to match the creature comforts of the other machines (and a little disappointing) but I just can’t bring myself to own anything else but Honda. I can take the jabs for not being able to plow snow in a t-shirt, I can’t handle getting towed because of a belt getting wet...

advertisement
J

Jakey

May 30, 2016
San Francisco Bay Area
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly, I am pretty easy on the machines. My average speed is probably about 10mph. I do take it in some very challenging terrain, and it’s good. Not having anywhere to put stuff, including a normal coffee cup, is total BS. It’s just not a well thought out machine, from an ergonomic standpoint. I would like some decent cab options for the cold, and that isn’t an option either.
I like the bench seat for 3 across seating. I use the bed also, so yamaha is out. Can am is loud from what I read, also a deal breaker. Mule pro fxt is a great machine, but no cab enclosures.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
How many miles/hours did you have on your p10005 when you had to replace the clutch sets? I just bought mine on 10/31/20 along with the extended warranty, that sucks that the warranty didn’t cover it, ridiculous!

Well I think context of when they burned up will help, I don’t think it was from just driving around, believe deep mud was involved but I could be wrong.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Honestly, I am pretty easy on the machines. My average speed is probably about 10mph. I do take it in some very challenging terrain, and it’s good. Not having anywhere to put stuff, including a normal coffee cup, is total BS. It’s just not a well thought out machine, from an ergonomic standpoint. I would like some decent cab options for the cold, and that isn’t an option either.
I like the bench seat for 3 across seating. I use the bed also, so yamaha is out. Can am is loud from what I read, also a deal breaker. Mule pro fxt is a great machine, but no cab enclosures.
You need to spend $15 and fix your cup issue. Also there are door storage mods that cost under $30. Do you need/want a hard enclosure only? Number of options for most units for both hard and soft.

44904B9F 6E45 40BF B162 494309CA0FA5

gullyjumper

gullyjumper

Sep 30, 2016
cookeville tn
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Now dont get mad but you asked (Am I crazy to consider getting a polaris)...YES... they do look good and have this and that but when you get broken down out on the trail then you also will say Yes I was crazy ! LOL

Farmer

Farmer

🚜🔨🚛🔧
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Aug 22, 2014
Southern MO
Ownership

1. 700-2
Well I think context of when they burned up will help, I don’t think it was from just driving around, believe deep mud was involved but I could be wrong.

Yeah.. we need to hear more on this...

Reactions: Biteme
jjau06

jjau06

Feb 22, 2014

I sure hope so, I had a ‘14 700-4 I bought new with about 4500 miles on it when I sold it, never did anything to it but normal services, gas and replaced the battery. I hope this is true for my 1k5.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I sure hope so, I had a ‘14 700-4 I bought new with about 4500 miles on it when I sold it, never did anything to it but normal services, gas and replaced the battery. I hope this is true for my 1k5.

Well I’ve had both and I do believe the 700 is a little more reliable. I did enjoy the 700 and IMO it’s probably the best out there. The 1000 isn’t quite as solid but given the extra ability it gets abused worse so I guess that needs to be considered. We were rough on the 700 and it held up awesome but the 1000 gets beaten on a different level, especially for the intended design. Like it a lot though she does good for what she’s put through

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Am I wrong?
I wouldn't go into debt over the difference. But I get where your coming from, but I'd go defender over ranger.

Diyguy

Diyguy

Dec 5, 2020
Colorado
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
NO BELTS AND CVT TRANS!
The 700 has the same drive train as my 03 Rincon. Bought the Rincon used and it wasn't well maintained IMO. If it were any other brand it would not be still running IMO.
I'm still on the fence about buying a SXS. It will be a Honda.
Polaris way to many reliability problems.
Friend has a 2010 RZR 800 bought new with less than 3 K miles. He's in his 80"s now. Never abused. To many problems.

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!