P500 Thinking of taking a little off the top...

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I think its time i chopped the top of my P5. Im gonna try to round up some steel tubing the correct size this weekend and get started. Dont worry, i'll take pics! Everybody likes pics. Lol

20170223 164106

C

Chooglin

I will be watching this thread !

I think I will be doing the same this summer. Going to make a new top cage vs cut the stock cage !

trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I think its time i chopped the top of my P5. Im gonna try to round up some steel tubing the correct size this weekend and get started. Dont worry, i'll take pics! Everybody likes pics. Lol

View attachment 36139

You're killing me...been wanting to do that for awhile now. The only question I have is how to make the Honda roof work? You will have to add to the length of the side bars to chop it down unless you do a lot of heating and bending. The easiest way would be to add to the middle but that will spread the front and rear bars out. Modify the clamp locations? Or add in front of the front bar, seems the roof has more hang in the front.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Im going to give it a good once over before i start cutting. I want to keep the front bars that a windshield can hook to at the same stock angle. Ive not taken measurements yet but im thinking cut a section of tubing out of the vertical bars behind the seats, maybe 5 or 6 inches, cut the same out of the front, and cut the section out of the top tubes that have the 2 bolts on either side. That way when its all said and done it will be a smooth piece of tubing on either side overhead. Im also thinking to strategically cut, weld, and smooth the front where future windshield clamps may go to help hide the mod. I have to go to my moms house tomorrow and fix her car, but hopefully i can get that done and then get to the metal supply place and find the right size tubing. Im not worried about a certain manufactureres roof fitting or not because i plan on building my roof from scratch, but i guess that would be a good concern if i was planning on buying one. I will update as i go. Hopefully i can get this mod started this weekend. Have a good one yall!

G

Greyrider

Feb 13, 2017
Hannibal
Ownership

1. 500
Finely got back on, took some pic of my 500, want to tell you about. I desided to build my own top and bed for the price of a normal top. To save weight I took off the rear rack, turned the rear fenders around.also put a Reece rear rack on top moved the rear rack to the front and made it pivot so I can get to the under hood storage. Made a crossover box in the bed and a rear rack rail to haul polesaw and ladder sticks for my bow hunting. Added a second muffler to quite it down and a front bumper and winch. I mounted a tool box under the seat in the storage spot. Windshield is from a terrex that I cut down and rear view mirror I made to fit from auto zone. Top was made from a piece from aluminum. 42" light bar and 4- 4" light pods off eBay. It works great around the farm and my hunting. Going to start on a small trailer and hope to fine places to ride that I can travel for days and camp along the way and maybe do some fishing or something. Anyone know of such places would like to here of them

IMG 1830 IMG 1831 IMG 1832 IMG 1833 IMG 1834 IMG 1835 IMG 1837 IMG 1838 IMG 1839 IMG 1841 IMG 1845

G

Greyrider

Feb 13, 2017
Hannibal
Ownership

1. 500
Finely got back on, took some pic of my 500, want to tell you about. I desided to build my own top and bed for the price of a normal top. To save weight I took off the rear rack, turned the rear fenders around.also put a Reece rear rack on top moved the rear rack to the front and made it pivot so I can get to the under hood storage. Made a crossover box in the bed and a rear rack rail to haul polesaw and ladder sticks for my bow hunting. Added a second muffler to quite it down and a front bumper and winch. I mounted a tool box under the seat in the storage spot. Windshield is from a terrex that I cut down and rear view mirror I made to fit from auto zone. Top was made from a piece from aluminum. 42" light bar and 4- 4" light pods off eBay. It works great around the farm and my hunting. Going to start on a small trailer and hope to fine places to ride that I can travel for days and camp along the way and maybe do some fishing or something. Anyone know of such places would like to here of them

View attachment 36169 View attachment 36170 View attachment 36171 View attachment 36172 View attachment 36173 View attachment 36176 View attachment 36177 View attachment 36178 View attachment 36179 View attachment 36180 View attachment 36181

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Looks nice greyrider. Love the folding front rack. You should start a thread telling peiple what you did incase they wanna copy some of your cool ideas.

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I got a little update: First i wanted to let everybody know i didnt use d.o.m. tubing for this build. I know a lot of you guys are up north in hill country and if you considered doing this i would recommend d.o.m. incase of a rollover. I dont hot rod around or hillclimb or jump or any of that stuff. I just creep along in the ponds and mudholes and trails so i think the fact that i didnt use d.o.m. aint that big of a deal. That being said, there really aint a big difference in my cage. I took 3" out of each piece of tubing beside the seats, below the headrests in the straight section. I took 1" out of the front tubes in front of the dash. I also cut out the section overhead on either side where the front and rear cage bolt together. I drilled plug weld holes everywhere that i cut, on both sides of where im going to weld the tubing together. I havent welded any seams yet, ive just filled in all the plug weld holes. I was going to finish weld all the joints tomorrow and grind, smooth, and paint, however, i think we're meeting some friends out on the lake on the pontoon boats tomorrow so i might not get to finish it until sunday. I didnt want to bring the roof down lower then my intake and exhaust stacks, thats why i only took 3" out of the back, the potential is there though to take more out if anybody wanted to chop theires more. The new section of pipe that i put in the overhead cage is only 11 1/4" on each side, so even though its not d.o.m. , its not a long flimsy piece of pipe, its short enough to be stout in my opinion. Well, heres some pics. :) Before and after in the last couple of pics. Also, Mr. Piggies helped me on this mod too. Lol Enjoy!

20170224 163246 20170224 174715 20170224 144120 20170224 142108 20170224 124838 20170224 123028 20170224 154206 20170224 142623 20170224 112157 20170224 174517 20170224 174454 20170224 174731 20170224 162149

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Oh i just thought of something. I took the 2 bolts out of the head rests and took them off, and the seats off, and hood, so i wouldnt get weld spatter melted into the seats and everywhere. When i bolted the head rests back on and put the seats in for the pics i noticed i only had about an inch of clearance between the seat back and the bottom of the head rests. Had i cut anymore than 3" out of the cage tubes beside the seats the headrest brackets would have been too low to mount the headrests back on and i woulda had to do some thinking on how to fix it. As it was, i just lucked up and didnt cut to much out. I didnt even think about that before i started the mod, so be warned my friends!

lonewolf

lonewolf

Jan 19, 2017
Louisiana
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Looks like it's coming along nice! I like the more compact look.:)

C

Chooglin

Great job on the chop , I think it look great.
Thanks for the update and the pics , looking forward to seeing it all finished!

Bastardchild

Bastardchild

Nov 3, 2016
Orange Heights, fl
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
Thanks chooglin! Yeah i cant wait to finish it either because its standing in the way of me building the roof, which is what ive been dying to build! Lol

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!