Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Roof, windshield , and rear window . lift kit, stereo , light bars (at least 2). rear lights. snorkel, skid plates , 8 ply tires, switch plate, interior mood lights , mud flaps, that would get you a start :)

That made it tough to add anything! Pretty much what Plummer mentioned will be a great start.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW and Eltobgi
Crow_Hunter

Crow_Hunter

May 18, 2016
Riding a Canned Ham.
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Get the bed liner (not the bed mat) if you are going to use the bed for anything, it does an excellent job of keeping trash from falling into the seat mechanisms.

Definitely get a winch, at 1,700 lbs, if you get stuck you aren't going to rock it out. I got A-arm guards and the rears are very nice, I am not as happy with the fronts. They protect the A-arms but don't cover the CV joints at all.

I want to get a skid plate but haven't yet. The Honda one only covers part of the bottom so go aftermarket.

The LED headlights on the Deluxe are extremely bright and throw a long beam, I am not sure about the non-deluxe model.

The Deluxe tires are only 4 ply so I would go with the non-deluxe and upgrade, especially if you are going to buy light bars like most seem to do.

Reactions: JTW and DGann
J

JTW

Get the bed liner (not the bed mat) if you are going to use the bed for anything, it does an excellent job of keeping trash from falling into the seat mechanisms.

Definitely get a winch, at 1,700 lbs, if you get stuck you aren't going to rock it out. I got A-arm guards and the rears are very nice, I am not as happy with the fronts. They protect the A-arms but don't cover the CV joints at all.

I want to get a skid plate but haven't yet. The Honda one only covers part of the bottom so go aftermarket.

The LED headlights on the Deluxe are extremely bright and throw a long beam, I am not sure about the non-deluxe model.

The Deluxe tires are only 4 ply so I would go with the non-deluxe and upgrade, especially if you are going to buy light bars like most seem to do.
What roof and windshield are most going with?

ButchersHook

ButchersHook

May 13, 2015
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OEM Honda Roof and windshield, half windshield if you dont have winters. Poly bedliner if you haul anything. NOT a cow mat but the OEM drop-in bedliner, (Best OEM item Honda offers). 30 degrees and under full windshield and hard mid-panel. and winch if you think you will be in areas where you may get stuck.

Tires dont come bald, and headlights are fine.

Lightbars, bigger tires and rims, etc.. aesthetics.

I got a winch for lifting a plow, I put on tires cuz I blew 2 of them. Do I want all the other sh#t absolutely: Rims lightbars etc!! Is it necessary NO.... Hell, its Nov in WI and I am still holding out on the full windshield, 60's during the day and 40's in the morning. Different strokes for different folks!

You spend enuff time on this forum and you'll look like a x-mas tree on steroids!!

Last edited:
J

JTW

Any thoughts on whether one should wait for the 2017 1000-5 before making a change? Will there be any real updates?

moparornocar

moparornocar

RIP....Rocmar...
Lifetime Member
Jan 26, 2016
Augusta, Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
OEM Honda Roof and windshield, half windshield if you dont have winters. Poly bedliner if you haul anything. NOT a cow mat but the OEM drop-in bedliner, (Best OEM item Honda offers). 30 degrees and under full windshield and hard mid-panel. and winch if you think you will be in areas where you may get stuck.

Tires dont come bald, and headlights are fine.

Lightbars, bigger tires and rims, etc.. aesthetics.

I got a winch for lifting a plow, I put on tires cuz I blew 2 of them. Do I want all the other sh#t absolutely: Rims lightbars etc!! Is it necessary NO.... Hell, its Nov in WI and I am still holding out on the full windshield, 60's during the day and 40's in the morning. Different strokes for different folks!

You spend enuff time on this forum and you'll look like a x-mas tree on steroids!!
I'm still running my half, but only because I haven't built a full windshield yet. I honestly don't think there are going to be any major changes to the 17 that you can't add later on, plus you can take the difference with the rebates in the 16 and upgrade to the deluxe model. And not to contradict anybody else, but Ive had mine for a year almost and haven't found a situation yet where the stock bighorns were inadequate

advertisement
J

JTW

So what are the issues with the 1000? I've read that there is an air intake and clutch issue?? I see you gues snorkeling them and I'm assuming that's to address the intake problem.. what's the deal on the clutch?

Plumber32

Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Intake is something that is easy to correct. it can take in water if you hit water fast. it's right behind radiator . I had an arctic cat atv that was the same way. clutch deal was a bad batch from the factory that truly affected less than 1%. There's a bunch of ways to correct the snorkel from $8 on up.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
FYI: One of my contractors was just in my office. He test drove a 1000 last week. The dealer (North La) told him that he "should have some deals/incentives" today or tomorrow.

Reactions: Tflynn and JTW
J

JTW

FYI: One of my contractors was just in my office. He test drove a 1000 last week. The dealer (North La) told him that he "should have some deals/incentives" today or tomorrow.
Wonder if there is any truth in the fox shock speculation?

solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Any thoughts on whether one should wait for the 2017 1000-5 before making a change? Will there be any real updates?

Just wait for P1000 2017 to come out, no rush buying now (few extra hundreds miles will not drop your price a lot), take your time and sell P500, trade in - not the best option as to me. In Montana it is impossible to sell toys like bikes and sxs, you should be good, population density is way better :). All my Canadian friends from Calgary come and buy used touring moto here and manage to resell them year after for twice as much.

once our testing team will complete aftermarket shock transformation you will want your P500 back with new shocks set up :))) as your own little buggy.

One more thought , may be it worse of waiting for Talon P1000 sport , go slow with your family and be crazy with your friends. You will smoke their machines for sure.

That's what I'm waiting for, will keep P500 as my hunting /cabin maintenance mule and will get Talon to ace around.

J

JTW

Yeah.. I'm in no real hurry to get rid of it. I'm curious on the 2017 1000 now.. lol. I'll at least wait until I hear for certain what the model changes will be. But it sounds like we should know something this week.

Reactions: solrus
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
One more thing when I was travelling via Kentucky, I thought (being always hungry and for sure naive foreign student :), that KFC is the best in the state of origin - Kentucky , I was wrong :(.

Reactions: JTW
solrus

solrus

Lifetime Member
Sep 2, 2015
Montana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah.. I'm in no real hurry to get rid of it. I'm curious on the 2017 1000 now.. lol. I'll at least wait until I hear for certain what the model changes will be. But it sounds like we should know something this week.

Measure once cut seven times, I mean opposite :)

Reactions: JTW
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!