jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R
trapperm,

Let us know what they find. My transmission should be burnt up by now. Been hooked to many things and been on the floor a few times not moving anything. Chains don't give much. I like the torque converter setup.

Reactions: swsebek
T

trapperm

May 28, 2017
Bemidji Minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-4
trapperm,

Let us know what they find. My transmission should be burnt up by now. Been hooked to many things and been on the floor a few times not moving anything. Chains don't give much. I like the torque converter setup.

I certainly will. I was told to expect a week or so. will hopefully have an update mid next week.

T

trapperm

May 28, 2017
Bemidji Minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-4
trapperm,

Got the official diagnosis. . .

I don't understand all of the inner workings so pardon my lack of knowledge. I guess a seal or O-ring that keeps oil (acting as a trans fluid) out of or off of an individual clutch plate had been pinched when it was installed. Likely that failure had pressure in places at times that there shouldn't have been and it nuked guts.

They're going to replace everything that could have been effected under warranty. Though by the time it will be done they will have had it for 2 weeks, I'm pretty thankful to not be paying a penny for their time and effort.

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
That makes you wonder if some of the 1000 clutches fail because of low flow. (for whatever reason)

Glad you have an answer and I'm glad they are taking good care of you.

jawquin

jawquin

Oct 24, 2015
Indiana
Ownership

1. 700-4

2. Talon R

I don't understand all of the inner workings so pardon my lack of knowledge. I guess a seal or O-ring that keeps oil (acting as a trans fluid) out of or off of an individual clutch plate had been pinched when it was installed. Likely that failure had pressure in places at times that there shouldn't have been and it nuked guts.

They're going to replace everything that could have been effected under warranty. Though by the time it will be done they will have had it for 2 weeks, I'm pretty thankful to not be paying a penny for their time and effort.
Thanks for that info trapperm!!!

Glad to hear your getting repaired and will be back in business.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
That makes you wonder if some of the 1000 clutches fail because of low flow. (for whatever reason)

Low oil flow? I believe it does. My P1 clutch failed at 164 hours. The repair invoice said they replaced clutches and chamfered the oil relief valves, no one would believe me until I posted a picture of the invoice.

T

trapperm

May 28, 2017
Bemidji Minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-4
I believed :cool:

Sigh.....

Still waiting to get the 700-4 home.

I called yesterday to get an update as to what's going on. Engine is sitting on the bench waiting for Honda to send a back ordered seal that originally caused this dilemma.

Sounds like Honda IS actually aware of the problem and the seal itself is on back order. I'm wondering if that seal is used in the 1k clutch replacements too? The dealer has been good to work with thankfully.

Getting anxious.... Nearing 3 weeks

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Sigh.....

I called yesterday to get an update as to what's going on. Engine is sitting on the bench waiting for Honda to send a back ordered seal that originally caused this dilemma.

Sounds like Honda IS actually aware of the problem and the seal itself is on back order. I'm wondering if that seal is used in the 1k clutch replacements too? The dealer has been good to work with thankfully.

WOW????

advertisement
swsebek

swsebek

Red,White And Blue Collar Soul
Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Sigh.....

You handle it well,
This whole forum would be hearing me moan.
I hope they get it right for you and you have 0 issues again.
A month is too long to wait

Reactions: Smitty335
T

trapperm

May 28, 2017
Bemidji Minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-4
You handle it well,
This whole forum would be hearing me moan.
I hope they get it right for you and you have 0 issues again.
A month is too long to wait

Its been a bit trying since day 1.

I went with the 700 because of the "known reliability" but I haven't really seen that with a front diff seal warrantied, a cv boot ripped from the start, door handle shroud wasn't installed from factory and now this seal that burned up the clutches. . . Guess well see how the future goes if I ever get the thing back home.

Reactions: swsebek and Mudwing
T

trapperm

May 28, 2017
Bemidji Minnesota
Ownership

1. 700-4
trapperm,

Update:

Got another bit of bad news. They found MORE O-rings that are damaged.....

I'm not sure what to think now. I am thankful for the warranty repair but man over a month?!!

Hawkeye

Hawkeye

Sep 9, 2017
Illinois
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your ordeal feels a bit painful. Having worked for GM I know a 6 month old auto broke down for a month would have a district rep involved. Most dealers would have customers in a loaner to ease the pain. With liability problems I can see your SxS dealer not doing that.

First the more bad seals is not Honda Corp problem that's a improper inspection for damage on tear down. (Dealership problem) Built by humans repaired by humans.. we all can make mistakes and it appears one was made here. Being understanding with the dealer goes farther in the long run.

Honda Corp problem is back ordered seal. This can be from several reasons. It's being used on other repairs as stated, Honda contracting another vendor for supplies ( improvements to seals), or just plain low stock do to production of new machines. Either way your repair seems like its on the excessive timeline.

I think your asking what's your options.

If I was Honda Corp which I'm not I'd extend your warranty for six months. That doesn't cost them a dime up front but a piece of paper and can give you some piece of mind. To me this would make this repair an annoyance but feel they are behind the product 100% and me as a customer.

For the more bad seals, dealership problem. As service manager/general manager I'd offer you an accessory of your choice at cost and install it for free. You still are covering the cost but getting something that might be on your list of do's. This to me is reasonable because they can't hand a loaner out to cover your loss of machine or time. Another option is a full service in another 100hrs. Your choice, these options would soothe most heartburn of any reasonable customer.

Hope your repaired and back on the trails trouble free in no time.

Hawkeye

Last edited:
swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
Update:

Got another bit of bad news. They found MORE O-rings that are damaged.....

I'm not sure what to think now. I am thankful for the warranty repair but man over a month?!!
Any news yet

swsebek

swsebek

Lifetime Member
May 4, 2014
pa
Ownership

1. 700-4
I am glad to here you got her back and are happy>.

Reactions: Deluxe700
Whistled03

Whistled03

Oct 31, 2016
Canton, GA
Ownership

1. 700-4
I’m having the same problem top speed. I guess I need to take mine in and get checked

advertisement