P500 Torq Locker Install

Bad Company

Bad Company

Supporting Member
Mar 19, 2021
Wartburg, Tn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
I did a series of Torq Locker Install videos for the P520. It's a 4 part series and I have 2 parts up on YouTube now, there will be a new video up each Saturday until all 4 are posted. I'm not a professional youtuber, in fact these were my first videos ever, but I'm learning.

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Good video! Good explanation of the 4wd cable removal. Yep, the 4wd sensor wire connection pulls off. No need to rotate the wire/unscrew the sensor on the drivers side diff (~13:00), glad you noticed it and mentioned it later at 20:00 to help others.

Last edited:
Bad Company

Bad Company

Supporting Member
Mar 19, 2021
Wartburg, Tn
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
Thanks Mudder! I try to help other not make the same mistakes I do. Other videos I watched did even mention the 4WD sensor, just said remove it. My videos will be long and drawn out maybe a little bit, well a lot... But hopefully they will help someone out.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
Thanks Mudder! I try to help other not make the same mistakes I do. Other videos I watched did even mention the 4WD sensor, just said remove it. My videos will be long and drawn out maybe a little bit, well a lot... But hopefully they will help someone out.
Have you put the lockers to work much BC? I’m curious if there’s any popping noises coming from them when they’re engaged and working….?

Reactions: KyGal83
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Have you put the lockers to work much BC? I’m curious if there’s any popping noises coming from them when they’re engaged and working….?
I only hear/feel a slight clicking via the steering wheel when making sharp turns on the concrete driveway. Much less an issue than the rear tires scrubbing when turning on the concrete due to the solid axle. No regrets with the locker.

Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
I only hear/feel a slight clicking via the steering wheel when making sharp turns on the concrete driveway. Much less an issue than the rear tires scrubbing when turning on the concrete due to the solid axle. No regrets with the locker.
Thanks Mudder. Is it the same as it’s been since day one, or did it quiet some with age and use? My tech seems to think it’s exaggerated, enough to contact Torq Masters and discuss it with them before releasing it to me? Mine is on the Talon too, don’t know if there’s going to be any differences…..🤔

Last edited:
Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
Thanks Mudder. Is it the same as it’s been since day one, or did it quiet some with age and use? My tech seems to think it’s exaggerated, enough to contact Torq Masters and discuss it with them before releasing it to me? Mine is on the Talon too, don’t know if there’s going to be any differences…..🤔
Well it is a hard treated metal ratchet with spring design so there will be some contact, more so under torque in 4wd on hard surface (which I never do). Compared to a P500 without it, yea, but still nothing compared to that clunky rear P500 diff. I also changed to heavier synthetic diff oils.

Reactions: Montecresto
N

NeHunter13

Jan 3, 2022
Nebraska
Ownership

1. 520
How does the front act when only in two wheel drive and on a hard surface? I understand the shaft wont be turning to the diff but does the front act differently from stock when in two wheel drive? Thanks!

Mudder

Mudder

NTC Ambassador of Walls
Lifetime Member
Oct 1, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500
How does the front act when only in two wheel drive and on a hard surface? I understand the shaft wont be turning to the diff but does the front act differently from stock when in two wheel drive? Thanks!
I notice no difference, and have Power Steering installed also. Check out AMR’s testing video, especially around 9:00 on turning diameters. No regrets with the locker whatsoever. Hope this helps.

Reactions: trigger
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
If you don't have power steering (I don't) you have steering wheel stiff points as you turn. They vary in stiffness and location...always changing. You may not feel any going one way then the other way need two hands. If you're going fast, turning and hit stiff spot it could get you into trouble if you're not ready for it. I assume the stiff spots happen when the locker ratchets.

Reactions: Montecresto
Montecresto

Montecresto

Montecresto el segundo
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jan 17, 2016
Eastern oklahoma
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 500

3. 1000-3

4. 1000-5

5. Talon X4
If you don't have power steering (I don't) you have steering wheel stiff points as you turn. They vary in stiffness and location...always changing. You may not feel any going one way then the other way need two hands. If you're going fast, turning and hit stiff spot it could get you into trouble if you're not ready for it. I assume the stiff spots happen when the locker ratchets.
The Talon has a weak power steering system, so there is some concern on steering. Although, I’m not too worried about going fast, I’ve had the lockers installed to assist me in rock crawling and climbing very steep trails with loose rock at great elevation. I just hope the lockers answer to the trouble I’ve had without them….🤞

Reactions: Smitty335
O

oldfortyfive

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2015
Illinois
Ownership

1. 500
I'm not doing any high speed running or much snow plowing so I haven't had much interest in power stressing...maybe if I tried it.

Reactions: Smitty335
The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520
Torq Locker is amazing. It makes these little things nearly unstoppable. Highly recommend plus power steering.

H

Half pint

Jan 31, 2022
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
I did a series of Torq Locker Install videos for the P520. It's a 4 part series and I have 2 parts up on YouTube now, there will be a new video up each Saturday until all 4 are posted. I'm not a professional youtuber, in fact these were my first videos ever, but I'm learning.
do you have to completely disassembled the shift cable after pulling the clip out

H

Half pint

Jan 31, 2022
Mississippi
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-3
Do you have to completely disassembled the shift cable after removing the clip?

The Green Goat

The Green Goat

LGBTQ Compliance Officer -Lotta gays in this place
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2020
Ohio
Ownership

1. 520

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!