P1000 Tough Country Question

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Guys,

As you know I've got the Tough Country bumper being shipped up to me as we speak. I've also got the Warn Provantage 4500 from Honda inbound. The dealer sold me a winch mount kit which consists of a plate I won't be needing and the factory wiring harness. I'd like to know if there is a mounting plate in the Honda winch kit that works with the Tough Country bumper? I see that KFI makes a universal mounting plate for around $30. If anyone has the Warn and the Tough Country could you please confirm if I'll be okay or should pickup the KFI? I'd like to have everything here together so I can do the install!

Thanks again.....

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Hey.
The TC front bumper is set up for top mount ONLY. There is no need for a internal mount like mentioned.
Thanks.
B0f51a3f75bca53448ef3b231e95ece1

Reactions: BigOL3
SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks Hondasxs.

I understand that it's for top mount only. Isn't there a plate the winch bolts through onto the bumper with a 90 degree bend that houses the mounts for the fairlead? Are you saying on the Warn Provantage 4500 the fairlead is integral to the winch and the bolts are threaded directly into the winch through the Tough Country bumper. This will all be crystal clear once the damn thing arrives at my place. I'm just trying to find out in advance if I need to order anything special. Shipping to my place is slow and I want to have it all ready to go when it arrives.

Isn't the winch bolted onto the bumper through something like this??
Screen Shot 2017 03 09 at 164105

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Yes. That plate normally comes with most all winch packages to fit said winch.

So now, The qusetion is....
Is the Honda warn package stripped out of this part? Or is it included.

I don't know the answer as I usually buy aftermarket.

Reactions: SikorskyGramps
SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks for the reply I'm hoping it's in there but it sounds like it might be a wish. The useless mounting plate for the low stock location came as part of the $500 factory Honda winch mounting kit. My guess is that the winch that's in the mail is a stripped version like you said. We'll see in a few days I guess.

R

Realtor_Rick

Jan 1, 2018
Central Minnesota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey.
The TC front bumper is set up for top mount ONLY. There is no need for a internal mount like mentioned.
Thanks.
B0f51a3f75bca53448ef3b231e95ece1
Quick question. I am looking at possibly getting the TC front bumper, but also like the Slasher. Another member told me to stay away from the slasher as it is weak when winching (it flexes a ton). What is your opinion on strength on the TC unit?

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The TC bumper bolted straight on (although I had to grind 1/16" off the inside of the bumper mounts - a tight fit - TC said this was because they had just switched to a new thicker black matte paint) I also added 4 aluminum spacers inside the Pioneer frame so tightening the bumper bolts wouldn't crush the frame. This bumper is absolutely rock solid! The winch bolted straight through the additional KFI fairlead mount and the mounting holes in the top of the bumper. I have winched 2 ft diameter trees off the road and winched the Pioneer back onto its wheels after an inadvertent tip-up. You can pull the Warn PV 4500 to a dead stop (just remember to take it out of Park and stand on the brakes!) Like you, I used the Honda wiring kit but scrapped their fairlead mount. I also added a master (override) switch in the glove box and a second waterproof winch control switch on the dash (much more convenient for snow plowing, rather than using the Honda pendant switch) A helpful hint - install the lower bumper bolts first, then bolt on the winch and fairlead bracket, then swing the bumper up and install the top bumper bolts (you'll need 3 people)
There is less cooling air intake with this bumper and winch, but after "burping" the radiator, I have had no more problems (4 large people climbing steep grades for 45 mins at 7000' and 80F.
No hesitation in recommending the TC bumper! Absolutely bombproof!

Winch wiring
101 3981

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hey Guys,

As you know I've got the Tough Country bumper being shipped up to me as we speak. I've also got the Warn Provantage 4500 from Honda inbound. The dealer sold me a winch mount kit which consists of a plate I won't be needing and the factory wiring harness. I'd like to know if there is a mounting plate in the Honda winch kit that works with the Tough Country bumper? I see that KFI makes a universal mounting plate for around $30. If anyone has the Warn and the Tough Country could you please confirm if I'll be okay or should pickup the KFI? I'd like to have everything here together so I can do the install!

Thanks again.....
I ordered the TC bumper before seeing this thread, but have nothing short of praise for it. At 75-80#, it is one tough dude. Glad I did not waste money on the winch plate, since it is not needed with the TC.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Reactions: JTW
OnTheJob

OnTheJob

Dec 29, 2017
Bristol, NY
Ownership

1. 1000-3
That TC bumper has moved towards the top of my list. I prefer an exposed winch that I can get to. What about the weight of the bumper and winch affecting the front end suspension? That has to be close to 150# added up there?

Part of me is thinking about a front bumper with a 2" hitch mounted receiver that I can do more with. I can break out the winch on a receiver mounting plate, front or rear. Don't get rusty from the road salt. I'm probably not going to use the winch more than 2-3 times a year/

Have a front and rear electrical power plug for the winch. Have a fairlead control and a cab mounted switch. Any Elec Eng wanna draw that one for me?

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I agree with BigOL3 110%. I also thought about a removable winch that could be used front or back, but in reality I've never had the need. Plus no where to stow the winch on board. You can buy good dust covers for the winch. But If you go with a removable winch, just run the same wiring schematic that I did and tie in a couple of long blue and yellow leads to the rear receiver. Arc welder plugs (with dust caps) would make good (quick) connectors front and back. There is no separate ground wire required for the Warn PV4500. If you run the Honda main leads on top of the bumper (as in the picture), they are the perfect length to reach the contactor under the hood.

Re weight, the shipping bill said 123 lbs and it is close to that, plus the winch. However, the extra weight on the front is not noticeable and if anything, it handles better at speed on gravel washboard now. Good luck with this project OntheJob, you'll love that TC bumper!

advertisement
J

JTW

I’ve found the TC for $525 shipped.. best price I’ve seen.

BigOL3

BigOL3

Lifetime Member
Oct 27, 2017
Deep in the heart of Dixie, Kentwood, La.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That TC bumper has moved towards the top of my list. I prefer an exposed winch that I can get to. What about the weight of the bumper and winch affecting the front end suspension? That has to be close to 150# added up there?

Part of me is thinking about a front bumper with a 2" hitch mounted receiver that I can do more with. I can break out the winch on a receiver mounting plate, front or rear. Don't get rusty from the road salt. I'm probably not going to use the winch more than 2-3 times a year/

Have a front and rear electrical power plug for the winch. Have a fairlead control and a cab mounted switch. Any Elec Eng wanna draw that one for me?
Although the shipping weight was 120# plus, the bumper weighs about 75#. I have never receive ANYTHING that was packed as securely as the TC bumper was .... no wonder the shipping weight was so heavy. The Warn 4000 is probably 20-25# TOPS. Total about 100#. When Climbing hills, I suspect that weight will be a benefit with more traction on the front end.

The TC bumper has a built in 2" receiver. I thought about using that for the winch, but decided against it, because then I would need to 'store' the winch somewhere. Also being higher on the bumper, verses lower in the frame it may not get as muddy and easier to clean.

B

Brandon327

Feb 14, 2018
Mississippi
Ownership

1. Do not currently own
how long is the pioneer from front to back with the tough country bumper? I have one on a mule and I am in the process of getting a pioneer 1000-5 and I want to make sure it is shorter than the mule so it will fit in my toyhauler.

Thanks

SikorskyGramps

SikorskyGramps

Jan 30, 2017
Castlegar, B.C.
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hi Brandon327, welcome to the club!
My 1000-5 with TC front bumper (no rear bumper and nothing in front or back receivers) measures 10' 6"

Reactions: JTW
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!