Spankynip

Spankynip

Lifetime Member
Jan 21, 2021
Pa
Ownership

1. Talon X
You must have a gaser and short bed?
Where did u get that info on your tuck? Just want to make sure your getting the correct info?
What year, motor and If u can provide, Rear axel ratio do u have?
Just fyi On the Ford there is a code on the door data plate that u can look that up in your owners manual btw, and that will also tell you those numbers
It's a 2022 F250SD XLT. 6.2L engine. Crew cab short bed.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
What matters is what the door plate says. Things like which options you have, final drive gear ratio, etc., all change the towing and hauling capacity of two seemingly identical trucks. Not to mention what else you're hauling (cargo, people, a topper, etc.).

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
I've pulled a lot of trailers in my days, but not sure my nads are big enough to haul an RV that's hauling a SXS on a trailer. Kudos.
Itā€™s really not that badā€¦and quite common in SDā€¦.most are pulling boats. You have to time your turns more and watch your speed depending on conditionsā€¦nothing that you arenā€™t already doing anyway with a trailer in tow.

You definitely want to make sure the first rig is a fiver. A bumper pull as the first is crazy dangerous.

My 2nd rig before the TH was a crossroads rv that I added the hitch too. Right at the max length of 65ā€™ and just a touch over 15k. The second trailer was a 7x14 fully aluminum enclosed trailer.

IMG 2869

After the 40ā€™ Wolfpack, we went back to a shorter fiver as our kids are older.

IMG 4593
IMG 5504

With the exception of the boat I run a friction sway bar on the second trailer. In all case I have a rear camera on the fiver.

The furthest Iā€™ve hauled this combo was 12hr from home base. Individually much further.

If I were to make it to MOM or the TOā€¦Iā€™d only bring the SXS and get a room nearby. My fiver pulls my boat by far more than the SXS.

When Iā€™m out in the Black Hills I donā€™t have to road my P1k5 between trail heads or areas with this setup. I can pick whatever trail head I want and not be tied to an orbit of the TH. One day we might be at Farmingdale, next might be near Custer and the 3rd might be near Bel.

If I was the OP Iā€™d really lean towards an enclosed trailer conversionā€¦if all that was needed was a roof to keep the rain off.

Last edited:
Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
What matters is what the door plate says. Things like which options you have, final drive gear ratio, etc., all change the towing and hauling capacity of two seemingly identical trucks. Not to mention what else you're hauling (cargo, people, a topper, etc.).
@Spankynip THIS ā˜ļø ā˜ļø ā˜ļø ā˜ļø

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
12,500 pounds is correct long as it's 4x4 with 3.73 axle ratio. That 6.2 is a great motor. We have that same truck at work but a 2014 model. It constantly pulls a 10,000 pound trailer and gets abused by the guys that drive it. Always going thousands of miles past due for oil changes. I think it's getting close to 300,000 miles on it and still going

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4 LV
Doubles is legal in TN. But what about triples.

View attachment 402719

When I picked up my project F150 in Omaha a few months agoā€¦

There was a pair of 2000ā€™s 1/2 ton Chevy trucks with TX plates that each had this setup. They were picking up 4 damaged front wheel drive vehicles from the IAAI yard.

They took the rear bumper covers off of two of the front wheel drive vehicles and then ā€œinstalledā€ (lol) a hitch on the metal impact bar that they just removed the covers on. The installation consisted of self tapping screws and chains.

They then put the disabled car with the newly installed DOT (not) hitch apparatus (looked like it was made from pig iron and tposts) on the first dolly and connected the second dolly to the rear of the first car, and then put the second disabled car on the second dolly.

Had to have been a long miserable drive pullling that swaying assembly back to the border lol.

Last edited:
advertisement
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
12,500 pounds is correct long as it's 4x4 with 3.73 axle ratio. That 6.2 is a great motor. We have that same truck at work but a 2014 model. It constantly pulls a 10,000 pound trailer and gets abused by the guys that drive it. Always going thousands of miles past due for oil changes. I think it's getting close to 300,000 miles on it and still going
Your 14ā€™ has a 6 speed torque shift, his 22ā€™ and has the 10 speed. They can do a bit more than the 14ā€™ at least my buddyā€™s 22ā€™ PS pretty much the same truck as my 15ā€™ PS same gear set, just with the 10 speed can haul a bit more.

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Your 14ā€™ has a 6 speed torque shift, his 22ā€™ and has the 10 speed. They can do a bit more than the 14ā€™ at least my buddyā€™s 22ā€™ PS pretty much the same truck as my 15ā€™ PS same gear set, just with the 10 speed can haul a bit more.
Yea that 12,500 is for the '22. I think our '14 is a bit less

Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
@Spankynip did u ever get a pic of that data plate in your door?

Spankynip

Spankynip

Lifetime Member
Jan 21, 2021
Pa
Ownership

1. Talon X
@Spankynip did u ever get a pic of that data plate in your door?
Yes I did. Can't make heads or tails of it. Lol. But I do believe I can pull 12500 with my 6 speed transmission.

Reactions: Smitty335
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I am good
You want to know what you can really tow and what gear set you have right?
Do u think the government is gonna come after your for posting the pic?
Your not wanted are you? šŸ¤£
You can always block the vin just in case its stolen lol.
What is the 5th wheel hitch weight capacity
Thats why we wanted the pic of the door tag. Thats gets it more specific than the general numbers. We used this method at Roush when we set up trucks for car haulers and there cargo.

• Haha
Reactions: Scoop and CID
Remington

Remington

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Yes I did. Can't make heads or tails of it. Lol. But I do believe I can pull 12500 with my 6 speed transmission.
If u have the 6 speed, your prob less than that. But wont know fo sho till we know the gear set.

Reactions: Scoop and CID
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!