Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not that I’m the weight police, but there’s not many 5th wheel toyhaulers that are going to weigh less than 12k with a SXS on board plus typical camper stuff.

The pin weight will be every bit of 2500 lbs in this scenario. Add in the hitch, fuel, passengers blah blah blah for the truck …. the 3k payload or so for a 22 f250 4x4 cc sb gasser evaporates extremely quickly. This is assuming you can get something in a fifthwheel that has a GVWR of 12k and still carry a SXS.

My Wolfpack had a GVWR of 15k and a garage of 2500 lbs capacity. My SRW 2016 F350 has a trailer capacity of 15500. My f350 was maxed out across the board and that was with one of the lighter fiver TH I could find that had a garage and fit my P1k5 with a 12’ garage. A talon only fits by a nose hair.

Ultimately I traded my SRW f350 back then for a dually as it handled my TH like crap.

IMG 3312

If you’re worried about being legal…I don’t see a fifth wheel TH in the cards…unless it was a short open floor plan concept.

Last edited:
L

LarryAmboy

May 14, 2017
Castalian Springs, Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not that I’m the weight police, but there’s not many 5th wheel toyhaulers that are going to weigh less than 12k with a SXS on board plus typical camper stuff.

The pin weight will be every bit of 2500 lbs in this scenario. Add in the hitch, fuel, passengers blah blah blah for the truck …. the 3k payload or so for a 22 f250 4x4 cc sb gasser evaporates extremely quickly. This is assuming you can get something in a fifthwheel that has a GVWR of 12k and still carry a SXS.

My Wolfpack had a GVWR of 15k and a garage of 2500 lbs capacity. My SRW 2016 F350 has a trailer capacity of 15500. My f350 was maxed out across the board and that was with one of the lighter fiver TH I could find that had a garage and fit my P1k5 with a 12’ garage. A talon only fits by a nose hair.

Ultimately I traded my SRW f350 back then for a dually as it handled my TH like crap.

View attachment 402813

If you’re worried about being legal…I don’t see a fifth wheel TH in the cards…unless it was a short open floor plan concept.

That’s exactly why I just ordered a F450

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Yup, slill need as Paul Harvey says….
The rest of the story
Yup. Too many people just read the number under the cab/engine combination and think they are good to go. For some reason, they choose to ignore the RED text from the trailer towing matrix, which is exactly why the ONLY thing that is accurate is the door plate. ;)

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yup. Too many people just read the number under the cab/engine combination and think they are good to go. For some reason, they choose to ignore the RED text from the trailer towing matrix, which is exactly why the ONLY thing that is accurate is the door plate. ;)
I'll disagree. The only thing that is accurate is to put the truck on a scale. Then subtract that weight from the GCWR

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
I'll disagree. The only thing that is accurate is to put the truck on a scale. Then subtract that weight from the GCWR
By accurate, I meant what the truck is designed/rated to tow and/or haul, not whether or not the driver/owner has overloaded it.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I am looking to get a toy hauler for my Honda Talon. Can I get some recommendations for a good hauler. I can tow 12500lbs. So don't want to go to big. Something I can haul my Talon in and sleep at least 4. Thanks.:) Taking a trip to the Hershey RV show next weekend. Hopefully I can get a better idea. Several I have looked at so far didn't impress me.

The fact that you kept the details of your truck secret suggests you're using the manufacturer's inflated advertising numbers to determine what you can tow safely and comfortably.

That will turn out to be a big mistake that you'll regret.

If you want good advice, it would be wise to start by telling the forum what truck you'll be towing with.

Spankynip

Spankynip

Lifetime Member
Jan 21, 2021
Pa
Ownership

1. Talon X
You want to know what you can really tow and what gear set you have right?
Do u think the government is gonna come after your for posting the pic?
Your not wanted are you? 🤣
You want to know what you can really tow and what gear set you have right?
Do u think the government is gonna come after your for posting the pic?
Your not wanted are you? 🤣
You can always block the vin just in case its stolen lol.

Thats why we wanted the pic of the door tag. Thats gets it more specific than the general numbers. We used this method at Roush when we set up trucks for car haulers and there car
You can always block the vin just in case its stolen lol.

Thats why we wanted the pic of the door tag. Thats gets it more specific than the general numbers. We used this method at Roush when we set up trucks for car haulers and there cargo.

This is the lightest Forest River fiver toy hauler I could find.

View attachment 402875
Thanks. I am avoiding Forrest River. My nephew bought one brand new. In other words we are getting good at repairing RVs.

Spankynip

Spankynip

Lifetime Member
Jan 21, 2021
Pa
Ownership

1. Talon X
The fact that you kept the details of your truck secret suggests you're using the manufacturer's inflated advertising numbers to determine what you can tow safely and comfortably.

If you want good advice, it would be wise to start by telling the forum what truck you'll be towing with.
I did say what truck I was using. It may have been a couple post later but it is on the thread.

Reactions: Smitty335
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thanks. I am avoiding Forrest River. My nephew bought one brand new. In other words we are getting good at repairing RVs.
Understandable…I spent the better part of 6 mo repairing mine as well when I had it.

It was just a quick grab off of the site I was familiar with.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Understandable…I spent the better part of 6 mo repairing mine as well when I had it.

It was just a quick grab off of the site I was familiar with.
We've spent the better part of the summer shopping RVs. The consistent message I got from every single salesperson was: "If you buy an RV, no matter what brand/model/etc., you need to be prepared to perform regular maintenance AND repairs." They seemed to imply that dragging your house down the road will beat the living hell out of just about any RV and requires a "handyman" mentality.

Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5

The OP did.

‘22 F250 CC SB 4x4 with the 6.2l.

The GVWR off the door is not given but it’s not a huge step to determine approximately the payload available…that’s where the approximately 3k payload I mentioned came from. I looked it up. Depending on trim level and GVWR on the door, the available legal payload is between 3000 and 3400 lbs.

IMG 5738

The OP asked for advice, not a detailed tutorial or permission. To accuse the OP of hiding anything is foolish.

The OP can take or leave the advice given based in the information they provided.

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We've spent the better part of the summer shopping RVs. The consistent message I got from every single salesperson was: "If you buy an RV, no matter what brand/model/etc., you need to be prepared to perform regular maintenance AND repairs." They seemed to imply that dragging your house down the road will beat the living hell out of just about any RV and requires a "handyman" mentality.
Our pre covid Reflection has been a very reliable camper. Probably have over 12k miles on it now. I can honestly say I’ve only fixed self inflicted items.

Friends and Family whom have bought other Reflections have had some issues, but nothing like you’re going to get on a keystone or forest river setup.

Scoop

Scoop

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 7, 2021
Michigan
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon R LV
Our pre covid Reflection has been a very reliable camper. Probably have over 12k miles on it now. I can honestly say I’ve only fixed self inflicted items.

Friends and Family whom have bought other Reflections have had some issues, but nothing like you’re going to get on a keystone or forest river setup.
Lots of kudos from all whenever we spoke about the Grand Design RVs, even from those who did not sell them.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
am avoiding Forrest River
Yup, every one of there mid grade and lower are made cheep. Had and have friends with them especially the wolf pack. Lots of pressed wood and other issues.
They just updated the wolf pack and its still kinda cheep from what i seen for the money they want for it

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
Friends and Family whom have bought other Reflections have had some issues, but nothing like you’re going to get on a keystone
Have had good luck with my keystone Carbon the last 8yrs till the tornado jacked it up or Id sill have it. Had good luck with our keystone Cougar when we had it the pervious 5 yrs as well.
Im looking at Grand Design now just for a change. Unless a fusion comes in at a good price. Thats an upgrade from my Carbon

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!