HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I looked at a stryker toy hauler. It seemed solid. I wasn't sure I could get out of my talon once I got it inside. But I know nothing of that brand.

I'm sorry, I can't help you. I know nothing about the Stryker or Cruiser, which is apparently the name of the company building it.

Cruiser must be a new company that has started since I quit paying attention.

EDIT: I thought about it some. Cruiser RV was a new company in about 2005-2007 when I was an RV transporter. I have a vague memory of visiting their building and seeing a few new Cruiser rvs.

The best advice I can offer based on my own experience and knowledge is to consider Jayco. Jayco has an interesting history. Jay Bontrager, an Amish man, was a supervisor in Starcraft, an RV plant that built canvas sided "pop-up" tent trailers. Bontrager had a better idea for building the trailers and tried to convince his company. Managers refused so he built one in his own barn. It sold immediately so he built another. Before long he quit Starcraft and started Jayco (Jay's Company)

Jayco was an all-Amish manufacturer relying on Amish craftmanship and principles and became a huge success. In the late '80s, Bontrager and his son were killed in the crash of a small plane. His widow continued to own and operate the company until a few years ago when it sold to a major RV corporation.

I have toured the factory, and delivered a lot of new Jayco trailers from factory to dealers all over the USA.

I feel confident in saying that Jayco is still one of the best companies in the RV manufacturing industry in Amish Country in Indiana.

My daughter and son-in-law and my grandson have owned Jayco trailers in the last five or six years.

My advice is study Jayco toy haulers carefully and consider that brand.

Last edited:
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
Another bit of advice:

Newcomers to RV ownership tend to use the empty or unladen weight numbers of a travel trailer when considering what to buy. That's a mistake.

The only man who ever tows an empty or unladen 5er or travel trailer is the RV transporter who tows the trailer from the factory to the dealer who will sell it.

NO owner ever tows an empty, unladen trailer. The first thing that happens to a new trailer when the happy new owners get it home is the wife loads it up with pots, pans, tableware, canned goods, and a refrigerator full of food, sheets, blankets, towels, clothing, and more. The husband loads his toys and tools and begins installing accessories.

Any travel trailer in use in campgrounds or on the highways weighs very close to or beyond GVWR. Trailers typically have very little margin for loading.

The ONLY WEIGHT a newby should consider (unless he wants to deceive himself) when buying an RV is GVWR. Forget empty weight and carrying capacity. They are meaningless numbers in the real world.

Spankynip

Spankynip

Lifetime Member
Jan 21, 2021
Pa
Ownership

1. Talon X
I'm sorry, I can't help you. I know nothing about the Stryker or Cruiser, which is apparently the name of the company building it.

EDIT: I thought about it some. Cruiser RV was a new company in about 2005-2007 when I was an RV transporter. I have a vague memory of visiting their building and seeing a few new Cruiser rvs.

The best advice I can offer based on my own experience and knowledge is to consider Jayco. Jayco has an interesting history. Jay Bontrager, an Amish man, was a supervisor in Starcraft, an RV plant that built canvas sided "pop-up" tent trailers. Bontrager had a better idea for building the trailers and tried to convince his company. Managers refused so he built one in his own barn. It sold immediately so he built another. Before long he quit Starcraft and started Jayco (Jay's Company)

Jayco was an all-Amish manufacturer relying on Amish craftmanship and principles and became a huge success. In the late '80s, Bontrager and his son were killed in the crash of a small plane. His widow continued to own and operate the company until a few years ago when it sold to a major RV corporation.

I have toured the factory, and delivered a lot of new Jayco trailers from factory to dealers all over the USA.

I feel confident in saying that Jayco is still one of the best companies in the RV manufacturing industry in Amish Country in Indiana.

My daughter and son-in-law and my grandson have owned Jayco trailers in the last five or six years.

Thanks. A lot of good information. I did not know that. I did know Amish built them.

Reactions: Smitty335
HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I think all of the RV manufacturers can honestly claim to be built by Amish craftsmen because the plants are all located in the area around Elkhart and Goshen, Indiana where Amish are the majority population.

I like and admire the Amish. They're human like all of us but less effected by the cultural decline of America. The Amish are generally honest, principled, skilled craftsmen, and proud of their work.

EDIT: I forgot to explain further. The Amish typically have large families - several children. In the Amish culture the oldest male child inherits the farm - the entire farm. No shares for the other children.

So the female children marry and move on. The younger male children must learn a trade and open a small business of some kind.
A repair shop, furniture maker, etc. or take a job such as working in one of the RV manufacturing plants.

Last edited:
Vikes79

Vikes79

SKOL!
Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
South Dakota
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Not that I suggest this option….BUT it is an option…

My fear would be the whole swivel caster going crazy at highway speeds…

WagginTail

WagginTail

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Oct 13, 2020
SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5

Unless I missed something it's only 1,200 pound weight capacity

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X

Oh lord have mercy!
Someone has balls of steel to trust that thing.. Jesus!

Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

I used to think the same about Jayco of the past. I have a 2018, 36' Jayco Whitehawk that I live in a few days a week, while working out of town.
Bought it new, hauled 100 miles and parked on property, where it has sat since new.
I don't think it came from an Amish factory or it was built on a Sunday..
I think a few companies now build most all and the quality sucks. So agrees my new RV repair friend......
I have had more quality and workmanship problems with this one than any others I've owned, x 5 or 6. The Craftsmanship isn't there at all. I've had my hands on everything on this thing, either correcting, repairing - replacing.
Not to mention 3 water heaters, an air conditioner, and.. and...(although common rv appliances), roof leaks, plumbing leaks, slide out seals leak, on and on.
We've just now got it under control...hopefully, after wife and I just Tropiccool sealed the roof and spent Labor Day fixing s***...
I paid cash, hoping it a retirement rig.
My Rv guy says all the brands are same poor quality.
What's my point? I don't know, just a rant. Look at Artic Fox products.
Good Luck.

Last edited:
Spankynip

Spankynip

Lifetime Member
Jan 21, 2021
Pa
Ownership

1. Talon X
I used to think the same about Jayco of the past. I have a 2018, 36' Jayco Whitehawk that I live in a few days a week, while working out of town.
Bought it new, hauled 100 miles and parked on property, where it has sat since new.
I think a few companies now build most all and the quality sucks. So agrees my new RV repair friend......
I have had more quality and workmanship problems with this one than any others I've owned, x 5 or 6. The Craftsmanship isn't there at all. I've had my hands on everything on this thing, either correcting, repairing - replacing.
Not to mention 3 water heaters, an air conditioner, and.. and...(although common rv appliances), roof leaks, plumbing leaks, slide out seals leak, on and on.
We've just now got it under control...hopefully, after wife and I just Tropiccool sealed the roof and spent Labor Day fixing s***...
I have only seen an article fox on You tube. I have
Good Luck.
I have only seen Artic Fox on you tube. They look like good RVs.

HBarlow

HBarlow

Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2020
Daniels, WV
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. Talon X
I owned two Arctic Fox travel trailers. They were "okay" or "good" but neither lived up to their reputation.

As a general rule, the smaller and simpler models without slide-outs are less likely to be problematic.

Remington

Remington

Deputy Fife POIDH Enforcement Officer
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jul 24, 2016
Michigan
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X
I owned two Arctic Fox travel trailers. They were "okay" or "good" but neither lived up to their reputation.

As a general rule, the smaller and simpler models without slide-outs are less likely to be problematic.
Good to know about the Arctic Fox’s
I looked at them and a buddy had a 5er he really likes. I dont like the limited spce in there TH

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!