elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand
Just curious, Does it make more sense to buy a toy hauler say in the PNW where I do most of my exploring ? Are they made to different standards for different regional areas or are they all pretty much the same besides having it winterized? Last question; How long is a P1000, in case I ever upgrade? I wish I knew the fabled Talon's length...Thanks

Look closely at insulation specs. While I have not been in cold weather yet, I did have to spend a week in my rig in > 90 degree weather on only 30 amp. Running a single AC, I was able to maintain comfortable (73F) ....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

100Acre

100Acre

Samsquinch the Terrible Magic Bean Manipulator
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some people were wanting to know more about my rig and a few got to see it at the takeover. Besides my '17 F350 gasser with a 6.5' bed. In the bed, I have a 2015 (FWC) Four Wheel Camper Hawk Slide in-pop up camper. From everything I had researched at the time, they're the lightest truck camper on the market and have some the highest resale values. They go quick on CL. They're obviously designed for the Off Road overland market and are very popular out west. I have the only one they ever made or or will make, with an interior height of 6'11". I wanted to upgrade to the 8' bed version called the Grandby but they said no more custom jobs after mine. Was it a PITA to make??? I think the dry weight is 1,400 lbs. It has a solid sheet of aluminum for the roof and I've got a 100W solar panel on top and 2 fantastic fans to get circulation going.. plus the batteries are also charged by the alternator while driving. It has a Queen bed up top and a rollover couch below which turns into a full sized bed and has lots of storage space below besides the ample cabinet spaces. It came with a two burner stove, Sink w/ 20 gallon water tank, A forced air propane furnace with thermostat and I installed my Engel45 fridge/freezer. It also came with an outside shower that I use in conjunction with my portable on demand hot water shower. I modded a way to put a window AC unit in the escape window and out runs on my Honda Generator or when at RV hookups. The pop up part is marine grade vinyl and I have an insulated barrier and I'll use bubble wrap in the winter between the layers. It also has a rear awning which doubles as an outside shower stall. It's a great camper but I'd like an indoor shower I can stand up in and something that has better weather proofing, like having full hard sides. It can be a PITA when pulling into a rest stop and not wanting to raise the roof to make lunch etc. and in order to leave any spot and drive off somewhere, you 1st have to lower the roof and secure it. It takes a minute to do so but I'd rather have something more permanent. I tow my P5 on an open trailer with a JobBox welded and bolted to the front plus 4 jerry cans with mounts. 2 for gas and 1 for water if needed plus the last one doubles as my gray water catchment from my sink. It was originally on my 2012 F150 and I added in cab controlled Firestone Ride Right airbags and an add a leaf on both rears. I haven't done any suspension upgrades on my F350 but unless I get a diesel, I'll get some more airbags installed.
I love the camper considering it's just the dog and myself. I'm just looking at more creature comforts as I get up in my youth!
IMG 0009
IMG 7340
IMG 7345
IMG 0081
IMG 0082
IMG 0083
IMG 0085
IMG 0086
IMG 0087
IMG 0088
IMG 0092
IMG 0093
IMG 0094
IMG 0095
IMG 0096
IMG 0097
IMG 0139
IMG 0297

Last edited:
elkaholic

elkaholic

Illegitimi non carborundum
Vendor
Lifetime Member
May 14, 2017
Ridgeway, SC
Ownership

1. Other Brand

I started my RV “trip” with an F350 and a Lance hard side camper. At times, I wish I still had that setup.

I have, at times, looked very hard at Hallmark campers and if money were no object would probably have one of those for Western trips since you can get a trick camper into a lot of interesting places that are impossible with a 5th wheel

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
you can get a trick camper into a lot of interesting places that are impossible with a 5th wheel
And for that I'VE BEEN VERY GRATEFUL FOR THIS CAMPER BECAUSE OF THE FAR OUTBACK AREAS I'VE BEEN ABLE TO SET UP A BASECAMP. Damn Caps lock button!

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Just curious, Does it make more sense to buy a toy hauler say in the PNW where I do most of my exploring ? Are they made to different standards for different regional areas or are they all pretty much the same besides having it winterized? Last question; How long is a P1000, in case I ever upgrade? I wish I knew the fabled Talon's length...Thanks

I can give you insight on toyhauler as I deliver them to dealerships. All 5th wheel &95% of bumper pull toyhaulers (all campers too) are manufactured within 30 miles of Elkhart IN.

There are specific insulation packages for Canadian bound units they usually have 2x or 3x insulation, double pane thermal windows, and heating pads on the water tanks to keep them from freezing up in cold climates.

Some of the lowest prices in the country are from Holman RV in Batavia OH (Cincinnati) they typically advertise online about 31% off MSRP. Industry wide markup is between 36% to 40% IE a big 5ver that windows for $100K can be bought for about $65K plus tax and so on.

You will see many dealers offer lifetime warranty with a purchase from them but they are making $20-$40K profit off the poor SOB's that bought them off a certain payment per month sales pitch.

I can tell you a 12 ft garage will fit a P1K nicely and can shoehorn it into a 10ft. Current trends are a 13ft garage floorplans across every maker. Personally I would recommend a 14ft garage, then you aren't turning your 6'9" frame into a contortionist getting everything in the garage and then getting you out.

I have had 2 Heartland Cyclone 5th wheels a 2010 and currently a 2015 model. The latter lived in it 24/7 for 8 months (20 years worth of camping) it held up great only $40 in 2 fans went out from near constant use. Jayco also makes some real nice (and heavy16,800 lbs. empty) toyhaulers but they cost in the 120K range and you need a truck that costs half that to pull and stop them safely in the mountains.

PS be leery of 2 bathroom units they eat up garage width on most floor plans.

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I can give you insight on toyhauler as I deliver them to dealerships. All 5th wheel &95% of bumper pull toyhaulers (all campers too) are manufactured with 30 miles of Elkhart IN.

There are specific insulation packages for Canadian bound units they usually have 2x or 3x insulation, double pane thermal windows, and heating pads on the water tanks to keep them from freezing up in cold climates.

Some of the lowest prices in the country are from Holman RV in Batavia OH (Cincinnati) they typically advertise online about 31% off MSRP. Industry wide markup is between 36% to 40% IE a big 5ver that windows for $100K can be bought for about $65K plus tax and so on.

You will see many dealers offer lifetime warranty with a purchase from them but they are making $20-$40K profit off the poor SOB's that bought them off a certain payment per month sales pitch.

I can tell you a 12 ft garage will fit a P1K nicely and can shoehorn it into a 10ft. Current trends are a 13ft garage floorplans across every maker. Personally I would recommend a 14ft garage, then you aren't turning your 6'9" frame into a contortionist getting everything in the garage and then getting you out.

I have had 2 Heartland Cyclone 5th wheels a 2010 and currently a 2015 model. The latter lived in it 24/7 for 8 months (20 years worth of camping) it help up great only $40 in 2 fans went out from near constant use. Jayco also makes some real nice (and heavy16,800 lbs. empty) toyhaulers but they lost in the 120K range and you need a truck that costs half that to pull and stop them safely in the mountains.

PS be leery of 2 bathroom units they eat up garage width on most floor plans.
Thank your the sound advice!

Reactions: JACKAL
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I bought in Ohio when I bought my 5th wheel and got a new last year model for 45% off sticker. Mine was a 12’ garage and fit my 1000 perfectly. I would be leery of the big bumpers on your Honda since that eats of space in campers quick. Mine had 2 bathrooms but the 2nd (1/2 bath) was actually behind the tv area in the living room. It took up no garage space. It’s too small for a normal sized human to use for bathroom needs but was good for coming in the garage and washing hands or just using it as an additional storage. Mine didn’t have the Canadian Arctic package on it but I did camp in the low teens several times and never had an issue. I think @Tigermark had his unit freeze up some when he was living in it this past winter. All my trips were weekend trips so I just ran the furnace hot and it kept the basement warm. I used the holding tanks for water and not City water. No way I would want to tow something like that with a gas truck though... it was 43’11” long and weighed a crapload!

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I think I'm leaning towards a bumper pull. I'm not sure how much destruction I'd cause with a 5th wheel.

Reactions: JACKAL
trigger

trigger

Old Ironsides
Vendor
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 13, 2016
Bay City, Michigan
www.quickshieldutv.com
Ownership

1. 500
I started my RV “trip” with an F350 and a Lance hard side camper. At times, I wish I still had that setup.

I have, at times, looked very hard at Hallmark campers and if money were no object would probably have one of those for Western trips since you can get a trick camper into a lot of interesting places that are impossible with a 5th wheel

Lance are nice trailers, well built and light, got my eye on one of those now. I've got a little 18'er made by Winnebago. Set it up in this campground on a year long contract this year. Went up this past weekend and built the decks, put up the shed. Kinda like having a summer cabin when you don't have to tow it. Taking the P5 up next time.

Deck

100Acre

100Acre

Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 25, 2017
Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Lance are nice trailers, well built and light, got my eye on one of those now. I've got a little 18'er made by Winnebago. Set it up in this campground on a year long contract this year. Went up this past weekend and built the decks, put up the shed. Kinda like having a summer cabin when you don't have to tow it. Taking the P5 up next time.

View attachment 77279
You could just park it here on my land and save $$ on camping fees...

Reactions: JTW and trigger
lee

lee

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Apr 4, 2013
Springfield Ohio
Ownership

1. 500
@100Acre I think the main regional difference I have seen in toy haulers is the garage style is favored on the east coast and the open style on the west.
I have an older 24' Weekend Warrior with an open floor plan.
Picture shows it full, Pilot, Odyssey and 2 ATVs.
Badlands hauler
The disadvantage of the open style is you get mud everywhere after riding and you are living on top of the equipment.
If you are doing a long trip this could be a pain.
The advantage is you can keep stuffing more junk in there.
Living in SoCal where I am from the riding area is a long days drive away.
So this type of set up makes sense, you cram the box full of toys, then when you get there you dump it all out and have a larger usable living space.

With the experience I have had, to me the biggest issue is what materials are used in construction.
My toy hauler was new in 98, so it is over the hill.
If I ever replace it with another trailer I'm looking at all aluminum construction.
If the box dose develop a leak - and it will - you have some time to get it fixed without inuring more damage.
Definitely stay away from a chip board floor or roof (WW has both).

Also, thanks for the grand tour of your 4wheel camper at the take over.
I really like the concept and execution of there slide in's.
Growing up Dad had a home made tent trailer that he hauled all over behind his Jeep Wagoneer.
But it turns out my wife is not sold on the soft sides.
By finding this out now you have saved me a lot of sleeping on the couch.

Reactions: JTW
Alan aka Davinci

Alan aka Davinci

Mr. Meme Master
Lifetime Member
Apr 25, 2015
Grand Junction, CO
Ownership

1. 500
Thanks Alan. Have a '17 F350 gasser. Yes I wish it was a diesel but, it's paid for...My concern wasn't just load, but insulation and weather worthiness concerning where I'd like to spend most of my time.
You can get toy haulers that are well insulated but you will pay more and it's worth it. look for a 4 season type for extreme weather package when shopping as these will have enclosed undercarriage's that are warmed by the furnace heat and there are heated water lines to connect if you are in a camp ground with full service. With the traveling you do you would be smart to buy a toy hauler.

Reactions: 100Acre
nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That’s what we did, so we could bring both Pioneers without driving a separate vehicle!

I heard you got a new rv. You never talk to me anymore so I have to heard third hand and no pictures so it must not be true...

Reactions: GlockMeister

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!