Reactions: ohanacreek
Bradley-Thornton

Bradley-Thornton

Lifetime Member
Nov 6, 2017
Hattiesburg MS
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The wife and I have considered jumping into RV ownership, towing large trailers is nothing new, but never owned an RV.

There are only 100,000 choices.

Got a couple of questions.

What manufacturers should we avoid like the plague?
What features should we look for as standard?
Looking at a 5th Wheel F-350 SRW towable, can a shortbed tow a 5th Wheel? I’ve seen offset gooseneck adapters but that seems dangerous.

Buy a Thor brand and you will be good.
Things that to me are a must some ate for me and some are for resale.
Stand up shower and just a nice bathroom. You use this all the time you want it to be comfortable.
More slides the better. I like the glass door so I can see in the toy hauler area. At least 2 AC but 3 if you can. 50amp
Washer and dryer set up. will help resale. Nice sink the small ones suck. Good bit of food storage. Nice for resale.
Electric or auto levelers
I have short bed with offset but I don't like 5th wheel I do gooseneck way less in the way and to work with. I have F250 6.7 with air levelers. I also went with a 14ft garage on the last one so that I can have room for my rancher. Its a 2011 raptor 4014lev toy hauler.
I always add digital temp controller and electric heater so I don't need gas all the time.
IMG 3267

Reactions: 100Acre
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Buy a Thor brand and you will be good.
Things that to me are a must some ate for me and some are for resale.
Stand up shower and just a nice bathroom. You use this all the time you want it to be comfortable.
More slides the better. I like the glass door so I can see in the toy hauler area. At least 2 AC but 3 if you can. 50amp
Washer and dryer set up. will help resale. Nice sink the small ones suck. Good bit of food storage. Nice for resale.
Electric or auto levelers
I have short bed with offset but I don't like 5th wheel I do gooseneck way less in the way and to work with. I have F250 6.7 with air levelers. I also went with a 14ft garage on the last one so that I can have room for my rancher. Its a 2011 raptor 4014lev toy hauler.
I always add digital temp controller and electric heater so I don't need gas all the time.
View attachment 63512

Thor is nice, my problem is I don't won't invest 45k in a newer tow rig just to pull a 45k toy hauler.
I also WONT have a 6.0 or a 6.4 or any Chevy POS. So a 7.3 or 6.7 Ford or a Dodge.
Older Trucks HAVE to be DRW to have the payload to carry a 5th wheel Toyhauler.

Insurance would screw me 10ways on Sunday if I had a wreck with your setup, according to Ford and Keystone thats @700lbs over payload capacity without me or anything even in the in the truck.

Raptor Specifications for 2012

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resource...ngguides/2011 RV and Trailer Towing Guide.pdf

At this point I doubt we will invest in a toy hauler, I'm looking at a DRW (for Stability and payload) Ford 350+ or Dodge 3500+ and a Cab-over carrier, then a bumper pull trailer, no toy hauler.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ae3241c4ccbf29f1230b7ccc5e0f9e359c4461d2949d1c6622de469a8b185729

The front brace for the lower bunk just touches the roof on the Honda. I was worried it might touch with the 30” tires and 2.5” lift. Now I know. I also can’t get to the tie down now on the front tires because of the forward offset arms. I use tire tie downs and will tie forward and backwards off the rear receiver hitch of the Honda. Should hold it in place easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

J

JTW

View attachment 63599View attachment 63600

The front brace for the lower bunk just touches the roof on the Honda. I was worried it might touch with the 30” tires and 2.5” lift. Now I know. I also can’t get to the tie down now on the front tires because of the forward offset arms. I use tire tie downs and will tie forward and backwards off the rear receiver hitch of the Honda. Should hold it in place easily.

Lol.. you make me laugh!

my99svt

my99svt

I identify as a lesbian
Lifetime Member
Dec 25, 2016
Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Ownership

1. Talon X

2. Talon R
Those are awesome, Can't seem to find a dealer that has prices listed!

Reactions: JTW
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Thor is nice, my problem is I don't won't invest 45k in a newer tow rig just to pull a 45k toy hauler.
I also WONT have a 6.0 or a 6.4 or any Chevy POS. So a 7.3 or 6.7 Ford or a Dodge.
Older Trucks HAVE to be DRW to have the payload to carry a 5th wheel Toyhauler.

Insurance would screw me 10ways on Sunday if I had a wreck with your setup, according to Ford and Keystone thats @700lbs over payload capacity without me or anything even in the in the truck.

Raptor Specifications for 2012

https://www.fleet.ford.com/resources/ford/general/pdf/towingguides/2011 RV and Trailer Towing Guide.pdf

At this point I doubt we will invest in a toy hauler, I'm looking at a DRW (for Stability and payload) Ford 350+ or Dodge 3500+ and a Cab-over carrier, then a bumper pull trailer, no toy hauler.

Some food for thought.

I don't know how much you use a truck, or if you need a "big truck" outside of pulling a toy hauler. You can typically buy a pretty decent single axle semi used for about $10k. My uncle bought one to pull his giant horse trailer with living quarters. He paid 9,500 and the semi is a day cab with a couple 100k on it but in the semi world it's got plenty of life left and if you're only using it on the weekends it will be many years before it gets worn out. I've considered this approach myself. You never have to worry about payload thats for sure. The problem becomes if there are multiple passengers you have to drive a second car.

Reactions: ohanacreek and JTW
ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Some food for thought.

I don't know how much you use a truck, or if you need a "big truck" outside of pulling a toy hauler. You can typically buy a pretty decent single axle semi used for about $10k. My uncle bought one to pull his giant horse trailer with living quarters. He paid 9,500 and the semi is a day cab with a couple 100k on it but in the semi world it's got plenty of life left and if you're only using it on the weekends it will be many years before it gets worn out. I've considered this approach myself. You never have to worry about payload thats for sure. The problem becomes if there are multiple passengers you have to drive a second car.

Someone else posted that idea as well but I’m trying to have a Crewcab truck I can use for a HDepot run or pull a 5th wheel without a second vehicle.

There’s a Goldilocks zone in there. I have found a few but they’ve had major problems or their owners think that a 18yo truck with 250k is made of gold and worth what a 6yo truck with 150k is worth.

Or it’s lifted sky high and not worth having since I can’t get it under a 5th wheel without buying factory components that are nowhere to be found.

Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
The wife and I have considered jumping into RV ownership, towing large trailers is nothing new, but never owned an RV.

Looking at a 5th Wheel F-350 SRW towable, can a shortbed tow a 5th Wheel? I’ve seen offset gooseneck adapters but that seems dangerous.

I apologize i didn't read all 8 pages so some of this may be a repeat.

After rebuilding a few campers I can tell you there are some things that are complete crap in all of them.

#1 The Roof: Basically every camper comes with a roof covered in EPDM which is rubber. The sun breaks it down very fast. Its thin and soft. Kinda like the rubber an inner tube is made from. A commercial roof is covered in TPO, which is a dual layer fabric with a mesh in the middle. It is EXTREMELY tough and you just about cant cut it with a utility knife. This is what I put on my toy hauler. If you take EXCELLENT care of your EPDM roof like @nbomar you could expect 10+ years out of it. You can park your TPO roof in the sun everyday and it is guaranteed for 25 years. The crazy thing is a manufacturer could upgrade from EPDM to TPO for about $200 per camper. But they wont.
(yes there are a few campers with an aluminum roof or one piece roof, but not many)

#2 Slide outs: Watch how they move in and out. Some are very crappy and move all over the place. Many don't have rollers underneath and they drag on the floor. Ever wonder why they always have carpet where the slideout goes in and out?

#3 tires and axles. Many campers, not all, come with lighter tires and axles that just barely meet the requirements. They figure 25-30% of the load being on the truck. So a camper with 3- 6k axles gets a 20K or 21K rating because they factor 3k onto the truck. Mainly watch for this on double axle haulers. Putting in a SXS may put you right at the limit. I've always put the best tires on that I could get. A tire is a lot cheaper than the side of your camper.

#4 Insulation: All of the manufacturers advertise some sort of "Arctic Package". All that gets you is a Shi^^y piece of corrugated 1/4" plastic run across the bottom of your camper frame. Thats it! It is a joke. I bought 1" foam and put it on mine. I'm not camping in Alaska but I did camp in 20 degrees without any issues.

There are a lot of Gimmicks and BS in the RV world. Think about how many people buy cars vs. buy Rv's. A crap load more are buying cars, but yet it seems there are as many RV dealers as there are car dealers. How can that be? Well because there is a LOT of money being made selling an RV vs. selling a car. You're a smart guy don't fall for any BS.

Last edited:
Rocket

Rocket

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Feb 3, 2018
Bullard, Texas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

1C869883 E3FC 4049 B7BC EC98A1983219

Check out the Genesis Supreme models.. we own the 29CK and our P1000 fits (roof off), we pull it with our Tundra with a B&W sliding hitch (never needed the slider, but it’s a MUST if you get in a bind)...

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
View attachment 64333

Check out the Genesis Supreme models.. we own the 29CK and our P1000 fits (roof off), we pull it with our Tundra with a B&W sliding hitch (never needed the slider, but it’s a MUST if you get in a bind)...
Not bad hitch weight is 1950 but I'd still have to upgrade trucks Payload is only 1957lbs for my 1500 and I have to subtract passengers from that, and I can't easily take the roof off.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I apologize i didn't read all 8 pages so some of this may be a repeat.

After rebuilding a few campers I can tell you there are some things that are complete crap in all of them.

#1 The Roof: Basically every camper comes with a roof covered in EPDM which is rubber. The sun breaks it down very fast. Its thin and soft. Kinda like the rubber an inner tube is made from. A commercial roof is covered in TPO, which is a dual layer fabric with a mesh in the middle. It is EXTREMELY tough and you just about cant cut it with a utility knife. This is what I put on my toy hauler. If you take EXCELLENT care of your EPDM roof like @nbomar you could expect 10+ years out of it. You can park your TPO roof in the sun everyday and it is guaranteed for 25 years. The crazy thing is a manufacturer could upgrade from EPDM to TPO for about $200 per camper. But they wont.
(yes there are a few campers with an aluminum roof or one piece roof, but not many)

#2 Slide outs: Watch how they move in and out. Some are very crappy and move all over the place. Many don't have rollers underneath and they drag on the floor. Ever wonder why they always have carpet where the slideout goes in and out?

#3 tires and axles. Many campers, not all, come with lighter tires and axles that just barely meet the requirements. They figure 25-30% of the load being on the truck. So a camper with 3- 6k axles gets a 20K or 21K rating because they factor 3k onto the truck. Mainly watch for this on double axle haulers. Putting in a SXS may put you right at the limit. I've always put the best tires on that I could get. A tire is a lot cheaper than the side of your camper.

#4 Insulation: All of the manufacturers advertise some sort of "Arctic Package". All that gets you is a Shi^^y piece of corrugated 1/4" plastic run across the bottom of your camper frame. Thats it! It is a joke. I bought 1" foam and put it on mine. I'm not camping in Alaska but I did camp in 20 degrees without any issues.

There are a lot of Gimmicks and BS in the RV world. Think about how many people buy cars vs. buy Rv's. A crap load more are buying cars, but yet it seems there are as many RV dealers as there are car dealers. How can that be? Well because there is a LOT of money being made selling an RV vs. selling a car. You're a smart guy don't fall for any BS.

All very true!

Reactions: Cuoutdoors
Cuoutdoors

Cuoutdoors

Executive Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 12, 2016
Central Iowa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Trigger pulled. May actually have it in my possession by time of Takeover but will not have it at Takeover ....

A friend of mine bought one and I really like them. They are nice toy haulers.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!