Plumber32

Go ride!
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 15, 2014
Wisconsin
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Well I jumped on the bandwagon with @wyodlr where I ride the food guards will be welcome . if I rode windrock more than 1 time a year I'd go plastic for sure. but I rarely hit bottom on our interstate of trails around here.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
AKTMW

AKTMW

Oct 25, 2015
Anchorage
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The aluminum one from S&S was 750 to my door with arm guards. Haven't noticed any hanging up on rocks. And really like 3/16 compared to 1/2". It didn't help that a couple members had some cracks develop with their uhmw skids either. Bottom line is go with your gut and get something under there other than that G-string of a skid plate that it came with new lol.

I went with Trail Armor after having aluminum skids on my previous machines. I found that the aluminum would gouge and act like an anchor when rock sliding, where the UHMW slid over much easier. Also, the snow/ice did not stick to the UHMW as bad as the aluminum skids. I agree, the stock skids were something Honda should be ashamed of.

J

JTW

And yet Yamaha puts an entire steel belly welded under theirs! I just don't get why this isn't a factory done thing on EVERY sxs out there. There is absolulty no reason to have the most important and vulnerable pieces of a 15-20k machine exposed to catostrophic failure because you put a half ass skid on it! There's honestly no reason we should be spending this kind of money just to spend another couple thousand for things that should have been addressed from initial design!! I would rather see a welded steel belly and grind the spots to add a umhw or whatever, than a cheap half assed skid I could easily remove that doesn't give any real protection!

Reactions: Dp5hunter
Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Ya buy these machines and they are what they are... I knew exactly what I was getting before I wrote the check. My advance study (before I shelled out $16K) left me understanding the shortfalls and related expense to get it to where I wanted it. I don't see it as a Honda problem, they didn't hide the fact that their skid plate was a joke and they also didn't claim it would do great getting bashed by climbing rocks and the like. I noticed that they also didn't provide light bars, spare tire and fuel racks, stereo systems, jack's, dual batteries, etc. Honda certainly has the capability to engineer add all kinds of stuff, then people would be saying "these things are too expensive, Honda must be smoking cheap crack"!

J

JTW

Ya buy these machines and they are what they are... I knew exactly what I was getting before I wrote the check. My advance study (before I shelled out $16K) left me understanding the shortfalls and related expense to get it to where I wanted it. I don't see it as a Honda problem, they didn't hide the fact that their skid plate was a joke and they also didn't claim it would do great getting bashed by climbing rocks and the like. I noticed that they also didn't provide light bars, spare tire and fuel racks, stereo systems, jack's, dual batteries, etc. Honda certainly has the capability to engineer add all kinds of stuff, then people would be saying "these things are too expensive, Honda must be smoking cheap crack"!
I get what you're saying on the light bars and that type of thing but skids aren't even in the same ballpark.. why build an off road machine with the belly unprotected when it would cost nothing for Honda to do it right!!
I don't get why folks get sensitive over things like this... yeah, I get I know it will need decent skids but it doesn't change the fact that it's another unnecessary $1000 when Honda could have put a good skid under it for a few bucks.

Manwell

Manwell

Lifetime Member
Jul 12, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Thought I would report back on the Trail Armor after putting it to use... At Bull Run last weekend there were many times that the skid plates took a good beating, they performed flawlessly. In fact, there is only one small scratch and I'm telling ya, they took some hits! Some of the others with no protection ended up with some damage or dents on the outer frame bars. It's nice to have all that extra protection and in my opinion it was money very well spent!

Tigermark

Tigermark

Outside looking in.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Thought I would report back on the Trail Armor after putting it to use... At Bull Run last weekend there were many times that the skid plates took a good beating, they performed flawlessly. In fact, there is only one small scratch and I'm telling ya, they took some hits! Some of the others with no protection ended up with some damage or dents on the outer frame bars. It's nice to have all that extra protection and in my opinion it was money very well spent!

I allready asked Santa for some!

J

JTW

Thanks for the heads up.. in the process of deciding which skids to go with!

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!