trailer advice

sajnaj

sajnaj

Jul 5, 2015
clinton indiana
i just sold my 14ft single axle utility trailer and I am looking at tandem axle trailers I have it narrowed down to two options.

A- 18ft 7k car hauler trailer weight is 1900
B- 20ft 10k equipment trailer trailer weighs in at 3200

my tow rig is a ram 2500 Cummins so I can pull either just fine but im concerned about the additional weight of the equipment trailer affecting my fuel mileage. I have plans in the future to get a 30hp tractor, the tractor will fit on either trailers fine. so should I not worry about the additional weight and get the 20ft trailer. and the second question will two pioneer 1000 fit on a 18ft trailer ?

scott

scott

Lifetime Member
May 16, 2014
lyman, South Carolina
i just sold my 14ft single axle utility trailer and I am looking at tandem axle trailers I have it narrowed down to two options.

my tow rig is a ram 2500 Cummins so I can pull either just fine but im concerned about the additional weight of the equipment trailer affecting my fuel mileage. I have plans in the future to get a 30hp tractor, the tractor will fit on either trailers fine. so should I not worry about the additional weight and get the 20ft trailer. and the second question will two pioneer 1000 fit on a 18ft trailer ?

How was your 14' at hauling the pioneer?? I'm going to buy a new trailer tomorrow. Looking at a 6.4x14 and a 6.4x12. Kind of learning to the 14' so I can haul an atv with my pioneer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joeymt33

joeymt33

i4WD=imitated 4WD
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 17, 2015
Guntersville, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Dude, get the equipment trailer. They are priceless. Mine is loaded with 4 tons of gravel as we speak.

6412c71aaa76e1d57cca0b4c7c6ed08a

77278ee67f53b2a0bf18ba441bd56e8a

Load up anything you want and carry it where you want. Plus, you've got a Cummings. It will get great mileage.

SIGNATURE:

Quote by DrFubar: joeymt33, this could be your next signature: "I should be more understanding. I should know by now that a little hill to me probably is a big hill to you.;)"

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV

I've got a 2500 Cummins too and my trailer is a dual axel 16 ft. 12 ft imo is the smallest someone should go with one pioneer because of ease of tie down. I wouldn't buy more then you'll need but look down the road which apparently you're doing. If you plan on just a tractor or pioneer then 12 is great but because of if the length. I always prefer the smallest unit that will get the job done. It will maneuver better, better mileage easier on the truck (not like my truck or yours can't do it but it is harder on it!)18ft would probably carry both and do two pioneers as well. Dual axel would be optimal because of the weight of the tractor. Dual also tows better and less stress on everything. With that being said I will be crossing the country here soon with this 16 foot with two pioneers but it will be tight. 895c2deb7cdf3a9d0ddbebfeedf06865

J

JTW

Well, we've got several trailers and trucks between dad and I.. Our little 12ft gets used the most, hauling zero turns and atvs. The 18ft with a dove tail gets used second for those things that fall in between and the 24ft goose neck car hauler gets used the least. It's a very heavy trailer but we use it for the tractor mainly. I've got a little massy 135 and if I were going to go grab one to haul it.. It would be the 18ft. You've got plenty of truck and realistically I don't think the 1300 will hurt you that much for mpg. BUT if you plan on hauling heavy stuff or tractor and bush hog.. Especially if you have a tractor with a front end loader. Think about how that weight will be distributed over the trailers. Dad has a 50hp kubota with a loader (my old massy actually weighs about the same) but that loader made it difficult to get the weight right, particularly with a bush hog on the back. So we upgraded trailers.

So, 18ft if you're not hauling a lot of extra heavy awkward stuff.. Equipment trailer of you can see that in your future.

sajnaj

sajnaj

Jul 5, 2015
clinton indiana
Yea I'm looking at a 30hp with a front end loader and it looks like the 18ft is the smallest I can go. But my train of thought is that I will not be hauling the trailer as often as the pioneer so I'm leaning towards the 7k 18ft

Gator

Gator

The Most Unknown Member
Lifetime Member
Sep 16, 2015
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 700-2
Maneuvering in tight places is the only advantage to the smaller trailer.
Otherwise go with the heavier/longer trailer.

You will one day say "I wish it was bigger".

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
18 ft dual axel 7k capacity would be great all around I think. It's easy to come by and still a utility trailer. Going much bigger requires equipment trailer which is much heavier. Harder on things. Harder to hitch harder to haul imo. If worried go larger. Trailers are easy to buy and sell they go quickly. We were carrying everything for a long time with inferior trailer so when we got our current unit I got the actual size we needed and am very happy overall

Sent from iPhone

sajnaj

sajnaj

Jul 5, 2015
clinton indiana
Yea I'm thinking if I need a bigger trailer down the road I will buy a 14k deck over because a 10k trailer can handle a big skid steer

Reactions: CumminsPusher
advertisement
amc019

amc019

Lifetime Member
Jan 23, 2016
Little Rock, Ar
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I've got a 18ft dovetail car hauler for mine and we put our 45 hp Kubota with loader and bush hog on it without any issues, but you'd need at least 20ft to put 2 pioneers on there.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
We'll be coming into Royal Blue with two on my 16ft but I'll admit it'll be overly tight

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: Eltobgi
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Absoflppinglutly! are you?

Sent from iPhone

Reactions: Eltobgi
drfubar

drfubar

TheDonFather
Lifetime Member
Club Contributor
Jun 7, 2016
Mary's Ridge (Dayton Mtn), TN
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I've got an 18ft heavy duty trailer and I've had my Pioneer and a CanAm SxS on it but it was just big enough. I'm sure you could get two Pioneers on it. The one nearest the truck would have to be backed on but the other could go front or back.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Make a spare in case then try to drag her ass along and drive nice I'll see you there!

Sent from iPhone

advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!