P1000 Trailer Question for the P1k-5

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Based on my tape measure it should fit easily in a 77x120 utility trailer, I’m looking at a Doolittle 7710. Thoughts, experiences and pictures welcome of a 6.5x10 trailer.

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Based on my tape measure it should fit easily in a 77x120 utility trailer, I’m looking at a Doolittle 7710. Thoughts, experiences and pictures welcome of a 6.5x10 trailer.
Be no problem. Straps will be a little tight on the ends is all.

annoyed

annoyed

Oct 31, 2020
USA
Ownership

1. 1000-5
While I'm not familiar with that exact trailer, I'll give my $.02 for towing. My buddy and I both have pioneer 1000-5's.

He has a single axle trailer that is made of angle iron and wood (the brand escapes me). When we're driving, I can watch his trailer flex. His ratchet straps loosen frequently when we travel.

My trailer is a tandem-axle (overkill, but I use it for other stuff) made of C-Channel and wood. My trailer is rated for 7000# and has ZERO flex. I've never had a strap come loose.

My trailer is about 2' longer than his, which is nice for loading up with camping gear, coolers, etc.

FWIW.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah I have a 10k rated tandem axle hybrid utility/dump trailer that is 14ft long but it’s heavy and overkill for just pulling a utv. This will be a dedicated utv/zero turn mower trailer and I have plenty of bed space for gear. The one I’m looking at is a pipe top commercial grade with one 3500# axle.

I kind of ruled out the 12ft models just to keep weight down.

42D643BC 6C6F 476F BCF4 768A6C3126BF

Last edited:
Reactions: CumminsPusher
CID

CID

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2019
SE Denver-ish
Ownership

1. Talon R
If you have room to park it, longer will pay dividends down the road.

The Talon is spec'd at 124" long, the Pioneer at 117", very close.

This is mine on a 14' trailer, room for a pit bike and camping gear/fuel/whatever. Looks like room to spare.
I mh7DwWD L

But this is where I'm at now, having added a bed extender/spare carrier, only a couple of inches between the spare and tailgate with proper tongue weight.
I d6qrBPV L

bluemountainbugler

bluemountainbugler

Nov 27, 2020
Walla Walla Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I looked at a lot of trailers and seemed like they were built pretty light. I settled on a PJ Trailer and had to order it to the specs I wanted.
It has a 12ft x 7ft interior deck which leaves good room. It has a 5000lb axle with electric brakes and heavy duty pull out ramps that stow under the right side. It pulls great and I have been very happy with it. For straps on the front I use the Erickson wheel straps/chocks,. They hold great. I found that regular straps were hard to keep tight for me with all the suspension flex and the less then smooth roads I travel.IMG 3825IMG 3826IMG 3827

Reactions: tdhanses
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went and checked out the 7710 pipe top and was really impressed with how stout it is. They had a flat top or your traditional angle iron unit as well and you could tell it just wasn’t as stout or stiff. The rear gate on the pipe top also was way more heavy duty and has an easy lift gate system With a 5ft gate vs a smaller 4ft gate, also the smaller gate just had angle iron supports.

I could shake the smaller gate and it flexed a ton, the larger pipe top gate didn’t move.

Reactions: CMB
bluemountainbugler

bluemountainbugler

Nov 27, 2020
Walla Walla Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Went and checked out the 7710 pipe top and was really impressed with how stout it is. They had a flat top or your traditional angle iron unit as well and you could tell it just wasn’t as stout or stiff. The rear gate on the pipe top also was way more heavy duty and has an easy lift gate system With a 5ft gate vs a smaller 4ft gate, also the smaller gate just had angle iron supports.

I could shake the smaller gate and it flexed a ton, the larger pipe top gate didn’t move.
That's what I found too. Don't scrimp on trailer. Lots of $$ riding on it. I went with the optional ramps and no gate so it would be easier to use the trailer for hauling other things. That's why I liked the PJ because of all the options. The dealer let me build it any way I wanted. All the better trailer manufactures have a lot of custom features to get just what you want. Sometimes you might have to wait a little for it.

Reactions: tdhanses
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haul mine on a single axle Eagle Iron 14' x 7" W,
3500# Dexter axle.
Seems like plenty of trailer and pulls good too.
But doing the math; 3500# -less the weight of the trailer - less the weight of my buggy, pretty much comes to the rating of the GVWR axle weight.
So I bought larger 15", heavy load rated radial trailer tires and replaced the bearings with timkin for good measure.
Point being, understand your max GVWR and how much you are loading on it.
I will keep this little trailer but probably buy a tandem axle, electric break flat or covered trailer this spring.
Just sayin. Tow safe

Last edited:
advertisement
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's what I found too. Don't scrimp on trailer. Lots of $$ riding on it. I went with the optional ramps and no gate so it would be easier to use the trailer for hauling other things. That's why I liked the PJ because of all the options. The dealer let me build it any way I wanted. All the better trailer manufactures have a lot of custom features to get just what you want. Sometimes you might have to wait a little for it.
I want the gate, easier to load my mower with, my other trailer has the ramps and that made me decide on a gate for this one. I couldn’t get my mower on my other trailer, combo of ramps and height of the deck.

I was going to go look at Trailers Plus because their price is $400 less but more I look at their stuff and read up on them I’m not going to even look at them.

Last edited:
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I haul mine on a single axle Eagle Iron 14' x 7.
3500# Dexter axle.
Seems like plenty of trailer and pulls good too.
But doing the math; 3500# - the weight of the trailer - less the weight of my buggy, pretty much comes to the rating of the axle weight.
So I bought larger, heavy rated radial trailer tires and replaced the bearings with timkin for good measure.
Pont being, know your max GVWR and how much you are loading on it.
I will keep this little trailer but probably buy a tandem axle, electric break flat or covered spoiler this spring.
Just sayin.
Yeah that’s why I’m going 10ft, all the 12 and 14ft trailers reduce actual usable capacity. Also don’t overload too much or your axle will fail before the tires. I’ll have more capacity in the bed of my pickup then the trailer 🤣

All I’ll put in the trailer is the utv, everything else goes in the bed of the pickup. You could put a 5k rated axle under your trailer relative cheap.

Last edited:
Dirtstiffs-1000

Dirtstiffs-1000

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Nov 3, 2018
Republican from the wet side of Oregonifornia
hondasxs.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yeah that’s why I’m going 10ft, all the 12 and 14ft trailers reduce actual usable capacity. Also don’t overload too much or your axle will fail before the tires. I’ll have more capacity in the bed of my pickup then the trailer 🤣
Longer pulls better, less bucking and feel of the road. JMO

Reactions: Coeus and CID
bluemountainbugler

bluemountainbugler

Nov 27, 2020
Walla Walla Wa
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's why I went with the 5200lb axle. If going single axle it is almost a must or yes you will be at gross weight. These 1000's are not too light. Brakes are a great option too. Don't want it passing me up.

tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
That's why I went with the 5200lb axle. If going single axle it is almost a must or yes you will be at gross weight. These 1000's are not too light. Brakes are a great option too. Don't want it passing me up.
Yeah I may upgrade it later, it’s pretty easy to change them out. 5200 lb Axle TK Trailer Kit - 5.2K Capacity - (Original Series) but just the axle alone is around $200.

Yeah with a 3/4ton I’m not too worried about it passing me, now if total weight was 5k or more I’d get brakes.

Last edited:
tdhanses

tdhanses

Lifetime Member
Nov 17, 2020
Kansas
Ownership

1. 1000-5
We’ll decide to just use what I have for now and use the funds towards shocks 😂

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!