Trans issues

W

Wood4502

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
Has anybody had problems with trans not wanting to shift and slipping when cold. Mine does it even after warmed for 10 min then taking off. But after driving a while it will shift fine.

bigc

bigc

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 16, 2013
how cold is it where you are at ? what viscosity oil do you have in it

W

Wood4502

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
10w30 is what dealer used for first service. Temps 20-40 degrees. Sometimes after full warmup you stick in gear and give it the gas it just revs and then it will catch. Like a drain back valve is sticking open. Not real familiar with these trans though.

fishin2Dmax

fishin2Dmax

Lifetime Member
Sep 22, 2013
Utah
I run in colder temps than 20 degrees and I haven't experienced what you describe. I have noticed on very cold morning (8 degrees) the tranny shifted a little strange, but as it warmed up a little, all seemed normal. I'm sure mine was due to the low temp affecting oil viscosity. What you describe (after warm-up), I have not experienced. 20-40 degrees is not cold enough that it should have that much effect? If it were mine, I would have the dealer look at it and make sure the proper oil and viscosity was actually used in the last service? Did it do this before you had the last service?

W

Wood4502

Lifetime Member
Nov 11, 2013
It was honda oil 10w30 I gave them , when they replaced front output shaft seal. It did lag to go in gear before service but didn't slip.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
I got this today. I needed to pull the machine out in about 35 degree weather, and it only got to warm up for 45 seconds or so. Didn't want engage when put in gear, and only seemed to apply the clutch after giving it some gas. Felt pretty bad afterwards...but to be honest,I have been wanting to see if mine did this.

For the record, I normally let it warm up for a few minutes, and even in colder weather, this has never happened when doing so. Synthetic would probably help, as would 0-30.

However, what the OP describes about being warm, putting it in gear and then catching...I believe is quite normal. Just the gears in the sub trans meshing. Whenever I shift, I always feather the throttle until I feel it catch. This may get better with miles, but it will never completely go away. Normal.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
fishin2Dmax said:
I run in colder temps than 20 degrees and I haven't experienced what you describe. I have noticed on very cold morning (8 degrees) the tranny shifted a little strange, but as it warmed up a little, all seemed normal. I'm sure mine was due to the low temp affecting oil viscosity. What you describe (after warm-up), I have not experienced. 20-40 degrees is not cold enough that it should have that much effect? If it were mine, I would have the dealer look at it and make sure the proper oil and viscosity was actually used in the last service? Did it do this before you had the last service?

Mine is doing this but, but if I let it warm up for 30-90secs the shifts are normal. I think the oil just has to warm up a bit.

wyo700

wyo700

Lifetime Member
Sep 26, 2013
I took my p4 out in the cold the other day for the first time. I did notice it was a little sluggish until it warmed up but then it was fine.

To add this was the first time since adding the windshield roof and stereo. And I have to say I love my pioneer even more now.

R

rparris

Sep 2, 2013
Mine has been doing this since the first service (That was before it got cold outside).I'm not sure if its a slip or sluggish change. But it only does it when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd. After it warms up there are no problems and it shifts fine.

adnoh

adnoh

Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2013
Just wondering if you guys are waiting until the " Lo " message disappears and the temp gauge appears before putting it in gear? I know when i 1st start mine up it takes 1-2 minutes before the " Lo" message goes away and thats in 80 * weather here in FL. I would imagine it would take quite a bit longer up north where its colder.

advertisement
C

chuck

Dec 14, 2013
I typically put it in gear right away, but I take it easy until the lo goes away. I never experienced the problems listed above.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I let it run for 30secs or so and get the oil flowing everywhere before I go. I go easy until the shift points drop back down to normal. Then use it like it was intended.

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Dealing with same issue on my Rincon, I am now accustom to allowing it time to get the oil flowing well before I step on the gas. I think the issue is normal as I can recreate it on any given day if I want to.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
It's good to let the oil flow for a few seconds on any vehicle before you load the motor.

DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Normal, yes.
But...don't take off when its cold like some have mentioned. This thing is so smooth it is difficult to tell when it might be slipping..and those clutches only have so much life to give.

I have never had a problem when the temp gauge starts to display, for whoever ask that question. The manual says specifically not to drive it until a bar is displayed. Actually, if you give it 2-3 minutes, it seems to be fine, even if the gauge says "Lo".

Even when the gauge displays, it still takes a few minutes for things to loosen up and shift normally ( not holding 1st gear longer than normal ), since the engine temp is not necessarily the same as oil temp. These things definitely like their oil warm.

As i said before, synthetic and/or 0-30 or 0-40 will speed up the process. One could probably also adapt some sort of block heater if waiting is such a problem.

I'd really love to pick Honda's engineers ( who developed it ) brain on this transmission.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!