P700 Transmission Cold Days

BillEwing

BillEwing

Apr 10, 2019
kingston springs tn
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hello I have read about the P700 transmission and cold weather but asking the question anyway. During cold weather starts approximately 40 degrees or less the machine won’t move initially. Put in gear hit the gas and nothing... Once it warms up for 30 seconds to a minute it will start moving... Is it normal for it to not move at all? Just making sure this is my first winter.. it has around 14 hours and 115 miles on it. Do I need to call my dealer or just understand this is how it works? Thanks in advance!!

Russ989

Russ989

Land of the free because of the Brave! 🇺🇸
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Hello I have read about the P700 transmission and cold weather but asking the question anyway. During cold weather starts approximately 40 degrees or less the machine won’t move initially. Put in gear hit the gas and nothing... Once it warms up for 30 seconds to a minute it will start moving... Is it normal for it to not move at all? Just making sure this is my first winter.. it has around 14 hours and 115 miles on it. Do I need to call my dealer or just understand this is how it works? Thanks in advance!!
It should still move but they will slip a little when cold but that’s normal. Check your oil level to make sure it’s full, those trannys run better on the upper full side.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
if its moving no problem after warm up then you dont have a problem. anything under 50 i let mine show 1 bar before i move it. gives oil time to warm a little and fill the motor and trans. no fluid \ no move

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
if its moving no problem after warm up then you dont have a problem. anything under 50 i let mine show 1 bar before i move it. gives oil time to warm a little and fill the motor and trans. no fluid \ no move

The one bar rule always served me well.

BillEwing

BillEwing

Apr 10, 2019
kingston springs tn
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thank you for the quick response. I will double check the oil level, it was just serviced a few weeks ago but has very few miles on it since then. I am in Tennessee and are in the middle of a winter heat wave. Should get cold this weekend again so the problem should have a good chance to reoccur. Also will keep an eye on the temp gauge for sure.

Alan_Vander

Alan_Vander

Mar 19, 2019
rosepine,la
Ownership

1. 700-4
Thank you for the quick response. I will double check the oil level, it was just serviced a few weeks ago but has very few miles on it since then. I am in Tennessee and are in the middle of a winter heat wave. Should get cold this weekend again so the problem should have a good chance to reoccur. Also will keep an eye on the temp gauge for sure.
if you cant wait till 1 bar. just give it 30 secs like you said. but also putting it in gear right after you crank it then wait a second for it to push fluid through it. but generally only takes these biles about 5 mins of idling at 40 degrees to get a bar. it just overall better for the transmission and motor really.

Russ989

Russ989

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Dec 18, 2017
Missouri
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Make sure you check your oil level per your owner’s manual.

JimmyA

JimmyA

Oct 8, 2017
Northeast texas
Ownership

1. 700-4
Mine reacts the same way! Here is what I do, after sitting for long periods (hours to overnite) I start her up and shift to drive or reverse and give a little gas until she moves. I then drive her slowly to start her to shift up to 2nd, and away we go. I believe oil pressure is the key vs temp in tranny shifting

Reactions: BillEwing
BillEwing

BillEwing

Apr 10, 2019
kingston springs tn
Ownership

1. 700-4
Hello, Turned cold here today and checked the Pioneer.... First checked the oil without screwing the dip stick back in and the level was fine if anything a little high. When the engine initially started it still did take a few moments to want to move from my garage. After about 15 seconds it seemed to be ok. I took it up a pretty steep incline and it did not hesitate at all. I guess they are just a little cold natured. I could have called my dealer "its under warranty" but didn't want to get into a conversation with them unless I need to.... From prior experience the dealer seems to lack in a sincere want to help me and they lean more towards what they can think up to over charge me on.... Thanks to all for your advice..

Last edited:
DG Rider

DG Rider

Member: Triple Clutch Club
Lifetime Member
Aug 14, 2013
Casa Grande, AZ
Ownership

1. 700-2
Hello, Turned cold here today and checked the Pioneer.... First checked the oil screwing the dip stick back in all the way in and the level was fine if anything a little high. When the engine initially started it still did take a few moments to want to move from my garage. After about 15 seconds it seemed to be ok. I took it up a pretty steep incline and it did not hesitate at all. I guess they are just a little cold natured. I could have called my dealer "its under warranty" but didn't want to get into a conversation with them unless I need to.... From prior experience the dealer seems to lack in a sincere want to help me and they lean more towards what they can think up to over charge me on.... Thanks to all for your advice..
Its not clear from your post, but are you still screwing the dipstick in? Cause that's the wrong way.
Go find your owners manual and follow the procedure laid out in it for checking the oil, including idle time vs temp, etc. It does make a difference in the reading. If you didn't get one, they can now be downloaded in PDF form from Honda. The factory service manual also states not to rev the engine or blip the throttle during the check.

And it's quite normal for the 700 to need warm up, or it will slip or shift funny.

Budman

Budman

Feb 12, 2018
Maple Ridge
Ownership

1. 700-4
Happened to my rig durning a early morning hunt. It scared the bejesus out of me. Now I treat it like my diesel. No matter what she gets warmed up. Better to have to have that oil nice and warm mmmmmyup

BillEwing

BillEwing

Apr 10, 2019
kingston springs tn
Ownership

1. 700-4
Its not clear from your post, but are you still screwing the dipstick in? Cause that's the wrong way.
Go find your owners manual and follow the procedure laid out in it for checking the oil, including idle time vs temp, etc. It does make a difference in the reading. If you didn't get one, they can now be downloaded in PDF form from Honda. The factory service manual also states not to rev the engine or blip the throttle during the check.

And it's quite normal for the 700 to need warm up, or it will slip or shift funny.

You are correct the oil level was checked without screwing the dip stick in.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!