P1000 transmission jerky and loud when shifting

C

Carver

Nov 12, 2015
Just trying out the 1000-5 with a full cab and heater. First of all it is very noisy, and the transmission shifts are very loud and jerky. The heater can't keep up with all the cold air coming through the dash.
is this a normal.

pgiannetto65

pgiannetto65

Dec 19, 2015
It is normal for transmission

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X4
Just trying out the 1000-5 with a full cab and heater. First of all it is very noisy, and the transmission shifts are very loud and jerky. The heater can't keep up with all the cold air coming through the dash.
is this a normal.

How much have you driven it? It seemed to me to quiet down after the first 50 miles or so and if you mash & lift off the accelerator also seems to determine how pronounced the shifting "feels", when your standing on the gas it will shift with authority same if you take you foot off the gas entirely.

Exercise a little moderation and technique and it is as smooth as can be. You can drive it like you stole it, your machine but if you drive it like you paid for it you will likely have a better experience.

I can't comment about the heater performance or lack thereof, I would think it may take up 15-20 minutes to get to full operating temp, and one should realize it is not sealed off and insulated like an on road vehicle so its bound to have opening causing drafts, I would think the heater would be designed to keep you comfortable as long as you are dressed for the weather outside, it will not keep you warm at 20 degrees wearing a T-shirt and pajama pants like your vehicle will once warmed up.

H

HondaTech

The few heater installs we've done have been much better than the 700 kits. Seem to get warm faster, but if you sit in one with a cab and no heater you'll feel heat coming from behind the seat. Honda supposedly fixed the air through the shifter issue. I haven't felt as much coming through as the 700 does.
I ridden in few 1000 that have had a heater and can say it's comfortable with hard front doors and soft rears, even in a t-shirt and work pants.

Last edited:
C

Carver

Nov 12, 2015
How much have you driven it? It seemed to me to quiet down after the first 50 miles or so and if you mash & lift off the accelerator also seems to determine how pronounced the shifting "feels", when your standing on the gas it will shift with authority same if you take you foot off the gas entirely.

Exercise a little moderation and technique and it is as smooth as can be. You can drive it like you stole it, your machine but if you drive it like you paid for it you will likely have a better experience.

I can't comment about the heater performance or lack thereof, I would think it may take up 15-20 minutes to get to full operating temp, and one should realize it is not sealed off and insulated like an on road vehicle so its bound to have opening causing drafts, I would think the heater would be designed to keep you comfortable as long as you are dressed for the weather outside, it will not keep you warm at 20 degrees wearing a T-shirt and pajama pants like your vehicle will once warmed up.

Thank you very much it makes me feel much more comfortable spending this kind of money

C

Carver

Nov 12, 2015
The few heater installs we've done have been much better than the 700 kits. Seem to get warm faster, but if you sit in one with a cab and no heater you'll feel heat coming from behind the seat. Honda supposedly fixed the air through the shifter issue. I haven't felt as much coming through as the 700 does.
I ridden in few 1000 that have had a heater and can say it's comfortable with hard front doors and soft rears, even in a t-shirt and work pants.

Thank you for the reply

H

HondaTech

No problems, on thing I can say look out for is the antifreeze overflow bottle. We try to run these things and bleed air out of the system, but they always seem to use a little more in the first 100 miles. Just keep an eye on the level and add if necessary. Hope everything works out for you.

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
No problems, on thing I can say look out for is the antifreeze overflow bottle. We try to run these things and bleed air out of the system, but they always seem to use a little more in the first 100 miles. Just keep an eye on the level and add if necessary. Hope everything works out for you.

I have the heater and soft doors etc the heater is poor. The air thru the dash is more than the heater puts out.

sharp

sharp

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Jan 27, 2016
Tennessee
Ownership

1. 1000-5
The shifting will become quieter and smoother over time

M

Montana

Oct 29, 2015
is this a normal.
The air thru the dash is in fact awful as you now know... I have 500 miles on my 1000-5 and the rear end transmission noise does quiet. The shifting noise stays for the most part and some gears are louder than others. The engine heat is overwhelming when outside temp reaches 70+

Reactions: Story and sharp
advertisement
H

HondaTech

We've gotten to where we now use a piece of foam as a shifter gate to make the ait less instrusive.

Reactions: Stauvo
CashMoney

CashMoney

Feb 5, 2016
Reno, NV
www.SRTNV.com
Do you guys use a vacuum refiller when you put it back in? I know that helps a lot on my big rigs.