P1000m3 Transmission problems

D

dmlynch

Mar 4, 2017
Coudersport. Pa
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I have a major transmission problem with my 2016 Pioneer 1000-3. I started noticing it around 75 hours. When shifting or down shifting from an even numbered gear to an odd numbered gear, the transmission sticks in neutral for a second or two while the engine RPMs increase 1200 to 1500 RPMs before the clutch engages. It happens in high and low range and in AT and MT. It is very noticeable when I am going up even a slight incline. Last Sept. I contacted my dealer to get it fixed and he talked to someone from Honda about the problem. He told that this is a common problem with the dual clutch transmission in some of the Pioneers and that Honda does not know how to fix it yet. He also told me that Honda, because of this problem, may need to have a recall on some of the Pioneers. A few weeks ago, I checked back with my dealer and still Honda has no fix for this problem. IS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM???? Also, starting around 175 hours, it is often difficult to get into low range. Again, the clutches don't seem to be working properly. The gears are spinning and it takes some time before it grinds and bangs into low range and then, after the Pioneer moves 5 to 10 yards, sometimes the gears seem to slip and it grinds and bangs again. IS ANY OTHER PIONEER OWNER HAVING EITHER OF THESE PROBLEMS??? If you are, what is your dealer telling you?
HELP dmlynch

J

JTW

Have you had it serviced yet? Sounds like it just needs to be adjusted maybe.. if you join the forum as a lifetime member you'll have access to the Honda Service manual and that will give you step by steps on how to adjust the shift cable. I'd be calling another dealer because that sounds like bulls***!!

Eltobgi

Eltobgi

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Mar 21, 2016
North Dakota
Ownership

1. 500

2. 1000-5
I have a major transmission problem with my 2016 Pioneer 1000-3. I started noticing it around 75 hours. When shifting or down shifting from an even numbered gear to an odd numbered gear, the transmission sticks in neutral for a second or two while the engine RPMs increase 1200 to 1500 RPMs before the clutch engages. It happens in high and low range and in AT and MT. It is very noticeable when I am going up even a slight incline. Last Sept. I contacted my dealer to get it fixed and he talked to someone from Honda about the problem. He told that this is a common problem with the dual clutch transmission in some of the Pioneers and that Honda does not know how to fix it yet. He also told me that Honda, because of this problem, may need to have a recall on some of the Pioneers. A few weeks ago, I checked back with my dealer and still Honda has no fix for this problem. IS ANYONE ELSE EXPERIENCING THIS PROBLEM???? Also, starting around 175 hours, it is often difficult to get into low range. Again, the clutches don't seem to be working properly. The gears are spinning and it takes some time before it grinds and bangs into low range and then, after the Pioneer moves 5 to 10 yards, sometimes the gears seem to slip and it grinds and bangs again. IS ANY OTHER PIONEER OWNER HAVING EITHER OF THESE PROBLEMS??? If you are, what is your dealer telling you?
HELP dmlynch
Yes, I have had that problem! You will need to replace one of the two clutch packs! I chose to do my own and not use the warranty, but many have their dealer replace it under warranty! Here is a picture of what it looks like notice one is burnt...
IMG 6333

B

Bsxs51

Sep 17, 2016
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Yes, I have had that problem! You will need to replace one of the two clutch packs! I chose to do my own and not use the warranty, but many have their dealer replace it under warranty! Here is a picture of what it looks like notice one is burnt...
View attachment 38320
P1000-5 burnt out clutch 80hrs. Low range going slow up hill. Shuddered, popped ,then stalled. Been at dealer for a month getting fixed.
View attachment 38320

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
P1000-5 burnt out clutch 80hrs. Low range going slow up hill. Shuddered, popped ,then stalled. Been at dealer for a month getting fixed.
Was there any warning signs prior?

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
Not if the friction material came off lol.
Very true. That's probably what happened and we've seen signs of it being a possibility. That's just not happened yet to me it's always gone light first and allowed a little distance before the delamb.

walexa07

walexa07

Lifetime Member
Feb 6, 2016
Louisiana
Ownership

1. 1000-5
CP, how many times have you had to replace yours? Have you heard anything new in regards to a solid fix? Does anyone know if they are using the same clutch part number for the 2017?

Thanks,

Waylan

CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
CP, how many times have you had to replace yours? Have you heard anything new in regards to a solid fix? Does anyone know if they are using the same clutch part number for the 2017?

Thanks,

Waylan
17 is still the same. We need to wait till next model and there has been slight redesign. I am on 4th set replacement but 3rd didn't look bad at all when pulled out and another member with clutch issues will be running those.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
I just posted this on another thread but its may be good info here too. I have over 6,000 miles on mine and it would be a lot more but I put over 10,000 miles on my 2016 Yamaha YXZ. Its important to get it going right away and stay above 2,000 rpm or your slipping the clutch. These clutches should last over 60,000 miles if you stay above 3 mph in low and 6 mph in high. The 2nd, 4th, and 6th gear clutch has very little or no failures and its the same clutch. Large tires and prolonged rock crawling at super low speeds will slip and overheat the clutch. The reverse gear is a bit high and a lot of backing up at low speed probably under about 4 mph may be hard on the clutch too. I use my Pioneer 700 for tough slow rock crawling where I'm inching along. The torque converter prevents any slipping damage although after a long time the oil may heat up. I have never had the temp go over 2 bars. I usually run 27's on my 700 but I had 30's on it on this run.
DSC 0055

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
I think there's a qc issue with the plates and maybe some oil pressure issues. Overheat the clutch and the friction material comes off the plates on some. Everyone u loose is 25% of the holding power. Now u have a bunch of friction material in the clutch eating the others and blocking ports. You will probably clog the filter also and trash the other plates. The friction plates were not etched before bonding the friction material on. Also Eltobgi clutch had three frictions with no friction material and the other plate looked new. All the plates spin together so that shouldn't happen.

H

hondabob

Lifetime Member
May 14, 2013
Prescott Valley, AZ
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-3
That may be why Honda is replacing the failed clutches under warranty. It should be easy to improve the clutch friction plate quality and that may be why the 2017 models have the same clutch assembly.

snuffnwhisky

snuffnwhisky

Village Idiot
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Sep 21, 2016
Cullman, AL
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Other Brand
That may be why Honda is replacing the failed clutches under warranty. It should be easy to improve the clutch friction plate quality and that may be why the 2017 models have the same clutch assembly.
Yep. Easy improvement with the disk with no part number change. Think a 17 might have just failed @Jshell3. Not sure about the oil pressure. Got oil temp and pressure gauges coming soon to check a couple different rigs. But no way u have 3 disk loose all friction and 1 new. Seems to b random.

Jait25

Jait25

Sep 28, 2016
Hope BC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
HELP dmlynch
Sounds similar to my last weekend, we did a ride for a few hours in out of low range due to rocks and hills (always full stop shifts) then went to low range and soon as it became step and poop, clunk, go stop, go stop you could feel the thing shutter as it popped in and out. I tried adjusting linkage, finally held shifter under seat to see if it was popping up and out but no movement. The strange part is High range is fine, was able to dive out just had to hit the tech sections faster than I wanted to not work the clutch to much.
Recently had the clutch update done but figure if it was the clutch should the problem happen with high too?
thanks,

P

Perk

Sep 11, 2018
Ohio
Ownership

1. 1000-3
HELP dmlynch
My 2016 just went in the shop doing the same thing, sounds like there should be another recall

S

Smoked

Oct 7, 2019
Charleston, SC
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Just put mine in the shop for the same reason above. What did everyone end up doing?

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!