P1000 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000 DCT Transmission Problems | Tips + What NOT To Do!

HondaProKevin

HondaProKevin

May 19, 2015
Chattanooga TN
www.HondaProKevin.com
Sounds like common sense to me. Read the manual.

I wish that were the case... I've had more than 10 Pioneer 1000 people (not my customers) I've had interactions with personally that did not read their owner's manual. They did everything you are NOT supposed to do that I listed in that post. After running into that many people, I wanted to take the time and go over some basics.

Aside from the Pioneer 1000 models. I'd go as far as to say that at least 60-70% of people never crack open their owner's manual unless they have a problem etc or just to flip through the maintenance schedule. That's just my experience from a decade of selling motorcycles, ATVs, side by sides etc. The majority of people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them they need to read their manual lol. Usually I get the response of "This isn't my first Honda".

JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
Some have asked what all is involved to replace the clutches, only the outside right cover (opposite the oil filters) has to be removed and both clutches are exposed, here is the best identifying pic to date I have seen, the starting clutch is RED controlling R,1, 3, 5th gears the secondary clutch is BLUE controlling 2,4,6th gears.

DCT Clutch P1K

DCT Clutch2 P1K

Jbird

Jbird

Jan 6, 2016
Mena, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
JACKAL

JACKAL

Ancient Honda fanboi
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Jun 11, 2015
Pioneer, TN
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5
I notice in reading this article under the "Keynote" section that there is a "s*** select lever". Do you think these clutch problems could be caused by people inadvertently pulling this lever?

Well if you pull some s*** lever you are not supposed to, then s*** might happen. Just like Forrest Gump "It happens"

advertisement
HondaProKevin

HondaProKevin

May 19, 2015
Chattanooga TN
www.HondaProKevin.com
I notice in reading this article under the "Keynote" section that there is a "s*** select lever". Do you think these clutch problems could be caused by people inadvertently pulling this lever?

Hahaha! Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Guess the spell check does no good when you spell another word entirely correctly lol.

Lol thanks for the laugh guys!

Hondasxs

Hondasxs

Club Founder
Staff member
Feb 13, 2013
Charlotte, NC
HondaSxS.com
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon R
Ya. I wouldnt pull that leaver.
Hahaha! Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Guess the spell check does no good when you spell another word entirely correctly lol.

Lol thanks for the laugh guys!
lol...
I do it all the time too... and it does not help I cant spell as it is. haha.

Reactions: HondaProKevin
S

slowandeasy

Jun 29, 2015
Palm Bay, FL
I wish that were the case... I've had more than 10 Pioneer 1000 people (not my customers) I've had interactions with personally that did not read their owner's manual. They did everything you are NOT supposed to do that I listed in that post. After running into that many people, I wanted to take the time and go over some basics.

Aside from the Pioneer 1000 models. I'd go as far as to say that at least 60-70% of people never crack open their owner's manual unless they have a problem etc or just to flip through the maintenance schedule. That's just my experience from a decade of selling motorcycles, ATVs, side by sides etc. The majority of people look at me like I'm crazy when I tell them they need to read their manual lol. Usually I get the response of "This isn't my first Honda".

WTF!!! theres a manual? LOL

Reactions: JTH and bobbyhill
Springer

Springer

Apr 2, 2014
Some have asked what all is involved to replace the clutches, only the outside right cover (opposite the oil filters) has to be removed and both clutches are exposed, here is the best identifying pic to date I have seen, the starting clutch is RED controlling R,1, 3, 5th gears the secondary clutch is BLUE controlling 2,4,6th gears.

View attachment 14254

View attachment 14253
This picture appears to be a V4. Wouldn't that be a hoot in a sport machine?

Reactions: PineTree
H

HondaTech

I believe the picture shows a VFR1200 engine. Which is much more accessible than the pioneer covers. There's alot that has to come off to get to stuff on these units.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Good article just went up here on P1K transmissions:

2016 Honda Pioneer 1000 DCT Transmission Problems | Tips + What NOT To Do!

Thanks to @HondaProKevin for putting this up on his Blog, any information is better than none and some very good tips to follow.
Kevin, Honda chamfered the oil relief valves when they replaced the clutch baskets, no more clunking, just a nice click when running through the gears. It clunked very loudly for brand new to failure. Honda figured it out. Now for the heat issue?

HondaProKevin

HondaProKevin

May 19, 2015
Chattanooga TN
www.HondaProKevin.com
Kevin, Honda chamfered the oil relief valves when they replaced the clutch baskets, no more clunking, just a nice click when running through the gears. It clunked very loudly for brand new to failure. Honda figured it out. Now for the heat issue?

@Smitty335 Honda's response to the heat issue on the 2017 Pioneer 1000 model lineup was a thicker seat with more padding. The million dollar question though is will that be enough? That's one of the first things I'll be diving into come February if I don't get my hands on one a little sooner. The parts fiche should be released sometime within the next 30 days so we can get the part #'s and see what kind of pricing and availability is like for the 2016 guys that want to try the thicker 2017 seat. The price should come within a few dollars of the 2016 since it wasn't a huge change to it.

Reactions: JTW
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Honda is hiding a big secret, they just need to fess up about the clutch/oil relief chamfering issues. I'm still open for a job offer for testing. HA

Reactions: Eltobgi and JTW
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
@Smitty335 Honda's response to the heat issue on the 2017 Pioneer 1000 model lineup was a thicker seat with more padding. The million dollar question though is will that be enough? That's one of the first things I'll be diving into come February if I don't get my hands on one a little sooner. The parts fiche should be released sometime within the next 30 days so we can get the part #'s and see what kind of pricing and availability is like for the 2016 guys that want to try the thicker 2017 seat. The price should come within a few dollars of the 2016 since it wasn't a huge change to it.
Honda should replace it at no charge!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Honda should replace it at no charge!
It's not the seat that transmits the heat, it's the transition between the seat and back rest that does and the front bed area that gets hot. DUGH! Does Honda test any of it"s products?

Reactions: Sulli
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!