P1000 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000 DCT Transmission Problems | Tips + What NOT To Do!

Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good question. I do not know the answer but I can tell you that if the engineers who built a 20 thousand dollar rig tell me in the owners manual and warning labels plastered on the machines interior not to shift while moving you can bet your happy a_ _ that I am going to heed their warning.;)

I heed the warning as well

Reactions: TractorMan
Jamesgang

Jamesgang

Jan 29, 2017
Kitzmiller, Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I never said I was going to. But if you read he's write up. that is what it says. Just trying to clarify for other's. This whole thread is to help others understand the machine. If he ment for it to say shifting up or down. That part was unclear. Maybe next time I'll keep my .02 cent to my self. What do I care what is miss understood or not.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good question. I do not know the answer but I can tell you that if the engineers who built a 20 thousand dollar rig tell me in the owners manual and warning labels plastered on the machines interior not to shift while moving you can bet your happy a_ _ that I am going to heed their warning.;)

1770667945e84d46f550f75fac4628da

Reactions: GlockMeister
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
And I did read my manual.
Are you a lawyer? HA! We are just trying to help you with our experiences, The P5 is a great machine and as well as a lot of other great machines have there quirks. Reverse is the P5'5

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
And I did read my manual.
Sorry if I ruffled your feathers. Did not mean to. After I read my owners manual if I feel that something is not clear I would go straight to the manufacturer for clarification. The information you receive in this way may not be what you want to hear but it will be the best way to hear what you need to hear to keep your machine running at its best.

nbomar

nbomar

Lifetime Member
Oct 11, 2015
Springdale, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I have right at 1000 miles on mine and I don't shift high to low unless I'm stopped or under 5mph (usually stopped). The 4wd I just shift on the fly. Like has been said it doesn't engage or disengage until you are moving and it gets to a torque neutral anyways. It has never once grinded or popped. I don't shift when I'm deep in the throttle but if I see something I think I'll need 4wd for I let of throttle and coast and shift. When I give it the throttle again the lights instantly lights up. I have shifted when dead stopped in my garage before moving it and it takes going from fwd to reverse several times to get it to engage or disengage. It's your machine, do what makes you happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

advertisement
CumminsPusher

CumminsPusher

Just a Honda doing Honda things.
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Club Contributor
Oct 14, 2015
Washington/Idaho
Ownership

1. Other Brand

2. 1000-5

3. Talon X LV
I have right at 1000 miles on mine and I don't shift high to low unless I'm stopped or under 5mph (usually stopped). The 4wd I just shift on the fly. Like has been said it doesn't engage or disengage until you are moving and it gets to a torque neutral anyways. It has never once grinded or popped. I don't shift when I'm deep in the throttle but if I see something I think I'll need 4wd for I let of throttle and coast and shift. When I give it the throttle again the lights instantly lights up. I have shifted when dead stopped in my garage before moving it and it takes going from fwd to reverse several times to get it to engage or disengage. It's your machine, do what makes you happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly how I and a few others shift. Wouldn't go low-high and make sure the tires are at same speed going straight. That's how I treat mine just like an old 4wd truck. If someone's not confident doing that and being careful to make sure all 4 tires are doing the same thing then my suggestion is to not shift on the fly.

C

Chooglin

You guys should look into the problems Ford had with there dual clutch transmission(Fiesta and Focus). It has a very similar tranny that the p1000 has.

My daughter bought a brand new Fiesta and it burned up the clutches twice in 40k miles.it had the exact same symptoms you guys speak of................ She ended up trading it in.

This could give you guys some insight on what mite be going on with these transmission's

Reactions: JTW
A

arizonasteeler

Mar 23, 2016
mesa arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Usually one adjustment dose'nt adjust rebound and compression, bike have separate rebound and compression adjustments screws.
your right i guess what i'm trying to explain to you is the knob on the reservoir will adjust your rebound and the spring length will adjust what you would consider compression that's how a basic fox shock works. stage 5 elkas will have a lot more adjustable features but also a much higher price tax if you want to spend the money go for it but its quite a bit of overkill for a pioneer i think stage 2 or 3 would be an awesome choice too.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
your right i guess what i'm trying to explain to you is the knob on the reservoir will adjust your rebound and the spring length will adjust what you would consider compression that's how a basic fox shock works. stage 5 elkas will have a lot more adjustable features but also a much higher price tax if you want to spend the money go for it but its quite a bit of overkill for a pioneer i think stage 2 or 3 would be an awesome choice too.
Hum? I thought that spring length is for setting sag, that is the amount that your machine sags with your normal load, makes your set up work much better on a dirt bike. Are things different on a S x S? The way you set sag on dirt bike is, measure from point a to point b usually on a slight angle, with shocks fully extended, then load your usual load and set recommended sag with spring tension, up or down. then you are ready to start adjusting compression and rebound. I think thats why I'll go with Stage 5's, more like a dirt bike, but before I do, Ill quiz them about recommended sag.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hum? I thought that spring length is for setting sag, that is the amount that your machine sags with your normal load, makes your set up work much better on a dirt bike. Are things different on a S x S? The way you set sag on dirt bike is, measure from point a to point b usually on a slight angle, with shocks fully extended, then load your usual load and set recommended sag with spring tension, up or down. then you are ready to start adjusting compression and rebound. I think thats why I'll go with Stage 5's, more like a dirt bike, but before I do, Ill quiz them about recommended sag.
And with adjustable high and low speed compression adjustments, no need to send shocks off for restack on your valve stack. Some day they will come out with high and low speed rebound adjustments for suspension junkies like me. HA

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
And with adjustable high and low speed compression adjustments, no need to send shocks off for restack on your valve stack. Some day they will come out with high and low speed rebound adjustments for suspension junkies like me. HA
And while I'm at it. I'm trying to keep my machine as light as possible, no pun intended CP, I'm not going to enclose the cab, add batteries or anything that would add weight, may need to weigh my winter gear and compare. HA! I think I can make this thing fly. REALLY

AZhunter

AZhunter

Jan 26, 2017
Peoria, Arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Kevin, Honda chamfered the oil relief valves when they replaced the clutch baskets, no more clunking, just a nice click when running through the gears. It clunked very loudly for brand new to failure. Honda figured it out. Now for the heat issue?
Mine makes a loud clunk a split second before actual shift. Are you saying yours was doing that too until Honda (dealer?) chamfered the oil relief valves? I am very annoyed by the very loud clunking coming from the transmission. Would love to get this fixed. Can you PLEASE give me any info on what they did (Honda service bulletin #?) can you tell me about your clutch failure that led to them fixing the loud clunk? Thank you Smitty 335 so much for any info you can provide.

A

arizonasteeler

Mar 23, 2016
mesa arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-3
your right in with what your saying i'm just not doing a good job of explaining myself, you ride on the springs so with a good quality spring you should be able to make a lot of adjustment on how your rig rides more compression on your spring will be a stiffer ride so the one knob would be more for rebound and high speed compression its just my experience spring adjustments make a world of difference.

Reactions: Smitty335

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!