P1000 2016 Honda Pioneer 1000 DCT Transmission Problems | Tips + What NOT To Do!

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It's not the seat that transmits the heat, it's the transition between the seat and back rest that does and the front bed area that gets hot. DUGH! Does Honda test any of it"s products?
It's all about air flow.

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
It's not the seat that transmits the heat, it's the transition between the seat and back rest that does and the front bed area that gets hot. DUGH! Does Honda test any of it"s products?
Honda needs to deflect the heat out of the back of the unit, like heat terminating at the tail gate. The thicker seat will do nothing, that's not where the heat is coming from. Do you have one of these units?

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Honda needs to deflect the heat out of the back of the unit, like heat terminating at the tail gate. The thicker seat will do nothing, that's not where the heat is coming from. Do you have one of these units?
If you don't get one and you'll figure it out real quickly.

Reactions: sret77
V

Vroomvroom

Dec 21, 2016
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
Good article just went up here on P1K transmissions:

2016 Honda Pioneer 1000 DCT Transmission Problems | Tips + What NOT To Do!

Thanks to @HondaProKevin for putting this up on his Blog, any information is better than none and some very good tips to follow.

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned shifting in and out of diff lock/4wd on the fly. This article again claims that this is a BIG no no, but in my opinion fails to explain why. I always assumed this was kind of a blanket, procedural statement to protect against an operator trying to slam it into 4wd with the pedal to the floor, spinning and trying to climb a hill which is obviously stupid. If I were honda I would probably put it in the manual to come to a complete stop too, HOWEVER......I almost always shift in and out of diff lock/4wd on the fly BUT I always do it in a "torque neutral" straight ahead kind of "coast". I seems to me that the diffs/4wd do not engage until the unit starts moving anyhow....

I would almost argue that waiting until you need 4wd, stopping mid hill or mud hole to engage, and then taking off in a high torque situation as the 4wd engages would be harder on the unit then a nice smooth transition during a slow roll............thoughts?

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned shifting in and out of diff lock/4wd on the fly. This article again claims that this is a BIG no no, but in my opinion fails to explain why. I always assumed this was kind of a blanket, procedural statement to protect against an operator trying to slam it into 4wd with the pedal to the floor, spinning and trying to climb a hill which is obviously stupid. If I were honda I would probably put it in the manual to come to a complete stop too, HOWEVER......I almost always shift in and out of diff lock/4wd on the fly BUT I always do it in a "torque neutral" straight ahead kind of "coast". I seems to me that the diffs/4wd do not engage until the unit starts moving anyhow....

I would almost argue that waiting until you need 4wd, stopping mid hill or mud hole to engage, and then taking off in a high torque situation as the 4wd engages would be harder on the unit then a nice smooth transition during a slow roll............thoughts?

+1 I am with you Vroom
I never stop to shift unless I was going to stop anyway, high to Low, locking and unlocking the diffs always on a no torque condition.

tjoreo

tjoreo

Lifetime Member
Feb 18, 2015
Southern Idaho
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I

I'm sure it is like all the other stickers on the vehicle telling you about all the bad things that could happen, but probably won't. Mine is a 700, but I can say from experience I have always shifted while the vehicle is moving. I have never had any problems, except for 1 time. I was playing around in my yard in 2wd and drove over a snow drift and got high centered. I took my foot off the gas and tried to put it in 4wd. Well needless to say the rear tires were still free spinning and it did NOT like to be changed on the fly. There is always that 1 time.

GPR1500SC

GPR1500SC

Lifetime Member
Mar 3, 2016
North East MO
Ownership

1. 1000-5

2. Talon X LV
I better add a disclaimer DO NOT lock your differentials while turning as that will be requiring your locker to engage two gears that are turning at a different rate of speed you always need to be going straight or very very very close to straight.

Reactions: CumminsPusher
V

Vroomvroom

Dec 21, 2016
Ky
Ownership

1. 1000-5
+1 I am with you Vroom
I never stop to shift unless I was going to stop anyway, high to Low, locking and unlocking the diffs always on a no torque condition.

"high to low"
I don't know about that one. I don't think i'd do that without stopping...

Reactions: ohanacreek and JTW
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Hahaha! Thanks for bringing that to my attention. Guess the spell check does no good when you spell another word entirely correctly lol.

Lol thanks for the laugh guys!
I know this is off topic, but the three adjustments on the Fox Shocks are on compression? What no rebound adjustments? I am heading Stage 5's. I think it will work better to have high and low speed adjustments

Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I know this is off topic, but the three adjustments on the Fox Shocks are on compression? What no rebound adjustments? I am heading Stage 5's. I think it will work better to have high and low speed adjustments
Without stoping to adjust

advertisement
A

arizonasteeler

Mar 23, 2016
mesa arizona
Ownership

1. 1000-3
Some one correct me if i'm wrong but that adjustment is for rebound,compression on those fox shocks would be done with spring preload by adjusting the spring length, adjusting the spring shorter puts more preload on spring raising up the machine making it stiffer.hope that helps

Reactions: CumminsPusher
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Some one correct me if i'm wrong but that adjustment is for rebound,compression on those fox shocks would be done with spring preload by adjusting the spring length, adjusting the spring shorter puts more preload on spring raising up the machine making it stiffer.hope that helps
Usually one adjustment dose'nt adjust rebound and compression, bike have separate rebound and compression adjustments screws.

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
@Smitty335 Honda's response to the heat issue on the 2017 Pioneer 1000 model lineup was a thicker seat with more padding. The million dollar question though is will that be enough? That's one of the first things I'll be diving into come February if I don't get my hands on one a little sooner. The parts fiche should be released sometime within the next 30 days so we can get the part #'s and see what kind of pricing and availability is like for the 2016 guys that want to try the thicker 2017 seat. The price should come within a few dollars of the 2016 since it wasn't a huge change to it.
So this means that Honda's response to the heat issue on the 2016 models is buy a 2017 model seat. This is how R&D is done now a days. No surprise though I have been seeing this trend for years with most companies. One good example of this is diesel particulate filtration, there are many different systems on the market that work in different ways, in the end the industry will adopt the system with the fewest problems. Another words you will have done their R&D for them with your dime.

Jamesgang

Jamesgang

Jan 29, 2017
Kitzmiller, Maryland
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So let me understand this. You can not shift the tran. Case (UP) from turf/2x4 or 2x4/4x4 or 4x4/did. Lock while you are moving. Does that mean you can shift down while moving. Just trying to clarify.

ohanacreek

ohanacreek

My EcoBoost has I4WD
Lifetime Member
Jul 25, 2013
Shelby County, Alabama
Ownership

1. 1000-5
So let me understand this. You can not shift the tran. Case (UP) from turf/2x4 or 2x4/4x4 or 4x4/did. Lock while you are moving. Does that mean you can shift down while moving. Just trying to clarify.

I wouldn't do either, it's metal engaging with a significant amount of force when it's spinning at speed. Doesn't sound like a great idea if all the speeds don't match up perfect.

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
You are not supposed to move either shift lever unless you are completely stopped,foot on the brake, no wheel movement. There is a sticker on your glove box door near the bottom that explains this as well as your owners manual.
Anyone who has purchased one of these machines at 16-20 grand has made a substantial investment. The least that you can do to insure the longevity of your investment is to read the owners manual and the warning labels and understand them. This is the main reason that I will only buy new when it comes to vehicles.:eek:

Last edited:
Reactions: Smitty335
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
I ride at White Rock Mtn. and do most of my riding in turf mode, if you need to put it in any other gear, you probably need to stop and look at what your fixing to get into and change gears while your stopped. The new LE may be what you need, does all the thinking for you. Just saying?

Reactions: ohanacreek
Ragnar406

Ragnar406

The Great Bald One
Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 5, 2016
Bella Vista, AR
Ownership

1. 1000-5
I get your not suppose to shift on the move but what is the difference between that and the fact that when you are stopped and shift - the actual shift does not take place until you are moving ?

TractorMan

TractorMan

May 19, 2016
Georgia
Ownership

1. 1000-3
I get your not suppose to shift on the move but what is the difference between that and the fact that when you are stopped and shift - the actual shift does not take place until you are moving ?
Good question. I do not know the answer but I can tell you that if the engineers who built a 20 thousand dollar rig tell me in the owners manual and warning labels plastered on the machines interior not to shift while moving you can bet your happy a_ _ that I am going to heed their warning.;)

Reactions: Ragnar406
Smitty335

Smitty335

Lifetime Member
Supporting Member
Oct 3, 2016
NWA Arkansas
Ownership

1. 1000-3

2. 1000-5
Just like my 2017 Toyota, a real 4 wd doesn't shift on the fly

Reactions: Ragnar406
advertisement

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

User Menu

Buy us a beer!

• Lots of time and money has gone into making sure the community is running the best software, best designs, and all the other bells and whistles. Care to buy us a beer? We'd really appreciate it!

Beer Fund!

Club Membership!